Author Topic: What's a good air brush setup?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Grant

What's a good air brush setup?
« on: December 17, 2021, 02:16:02 AM »

I'm getting back into plastic model building after spending many years building RC planes. I have an air brush setup already that I've used for years but it's getting old and will need to be replaced.I've done a little research on the topic but really want to know what guys are using for their plastic builds. So what air brush and compressor setups seems to work best for you overall? I know there are many thoughts on this subject but I would like to get some ideas on which setup to go with as it is an expensive investment.

Thanks for the help,

Grant

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: What's a good air brush setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:53:10 AM »
Grant,
     From what I've read here and also heard from fellow hobby enthusiasts over the past several years I'd say you can't fault most of the high end brands we have available these days. As someone who lives distant from larger urban centers I sought reliability in my products and also availability of product support from a distance. I chose two "middle of the road" Iwatas (HP-BH and HP-CH) for regular and fine detail work) and also their "Smart Pro" compressor about ten years ago and to date have had flawless performance. There's a large dealership about four hours drive away if needed and replacement parts can be purchased on line or by phone if needed. In a pinch they assure me they will accept mail in repairs and turnaround is very fast if required as well. I guess what I'm saying is assuming the brush provides the features and quality you want then reliability and easy product support are the big ticket items to focus on.
   Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Grant

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 03:56:45 AM »
Thank you Sir  :D

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 04:28:26 AM »
I don't know where you live, but here in Europe I can recommend the Werther compressor line. That is a company in the north of Italy, and there are some different additional brands of the same devices.
The product is called "Silent air" because they have the same noise as a fridge, and is only running to fill the tank.
There are different products regarding tank volume and compressor air flow. I'm using a "Sil-Air 20D". A shop example:
https://www.pk-pro.de/WERTHER-Kompressor-SIL-AIR-20-D
The german text says, they are also available in the USA.
I love it. It is no problem to use the airbrush at Sunday night ;)
Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 04:41:48 AM »
I'm watching this with great interest as fellow modellers have for years been urging me to make the transition - the cost has always put me off.
Zac in NZ

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 06:24:33 AM »
I bought one of the generic 'Zeny' compressors a year and a half ago.  They're quiet and affordable; around 90USD on eBay or around 120USD on Amazon.  See the attached image.  No matter the name, or lack of a name, if it looks like the picture it's the same thing.  If you must have a name brand, get one with a tank.  It keeps the airflow smooth and even.

As far as airbrushes, I would highly recommend one of the name brands.  I've tried the Harbor Freight, Cummins tools, and eBay no-names.  They work, but my experience was they didn't perform anywhere near as evenly and consistently as the Paasche, several Iwatas, and Harder-Steenbeck I've owned.   All of those worked admirably.  Badger, Grex, GSI-Creos, etc. all make good airbrushes.  Two retailers here in the states I've bought from are Dixie Art and Midwest Airbrush Supply.

Side note on old guy hand problems:

I'm currently using a Harder-Steenbeck Colani.  It was on the expensive side, but it was a last ditch effort to find a way to airbrush without my hand cramping up.  My spraying sessions with my Iwata were getting frequently interrupted to flex out cramps.  Before the Colani, I had tried the eBay airbrush holders even frankensteining two of them together and adding a carved wooden handle to fit my hand.  This worked as far as the hand goes, but all of this made the airbrush long, unbalanced, and completely unwieldly.  I also tried a cheapo eBay lever action pistol grip airbrush but just couldn't get the hang of it.  This might be a good solution for anyone with arthritis or chronic hand pain as well.

Stuart
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 07:04:03 AM by Stuart Malone »

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 06:36:53 AM »
I admit that it held me back at first too, but the results are getting sooo much better. And things like shading and so hard to reach without airbrush? And some really good paints, like the Alclad metal paints, can only be used with airbrush. And the results with them are simply fantastic.

The airbrush I use is the Harder&Steenbeck Infinity and I love it, because it is so easy to clean.
https://www.harder-airbrush.eu/en/infinity.html

And I use a micro cup as for most of my paintjobs some drops of paint are enough.

So you can save some money on paints, as you paint in very thin layers ;D

To paint with the airbrush is really an important fun part of the hobby for me now!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »
Another thing to consider is how similar in size and weight the old and replacement airbrushes are. I've used a Badger 200 (internal mix single action) for around 40 years. Several years ago I decided to upgrade to a double action near top of the line Badger. The new airbrush is vastly more capable than the old one, but what I failed to consider is the fact that the new airbrush weighs twice as much and is nearly an inch longer than the old one. I find that the added length and heft of the new airbrush makes it awkward and unwieldy to use and I still use the old one for about 99.9% of my spray painting.

I also recommend poking around on this site for a little more objective reviews than you're likely to get on internet forums:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Offline Grant

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 07:36:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice, really appreciate it a lot. This will give me a more defined search for quality setup!

Thanks again!

Offline Vickers

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 02:34:40 PM »
I've used a lot of different rigs ranging from small single piston Badgers to large tank types normally found in auto repair shops. Currently, I have an Iwata Power Jet Pro with two airbrush attachments. A Grex Tritium 3 for paint and a Paasche single action type for overall clear and flat coats. Airbrushes are hard to recommend because they involve ergonomic factors, but I can certainly recommend the compressor- the pressures are constant, the delivery smooth, and it runs virtually silent:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/iwata-power-jet-pro-studio-compressor/
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Grant

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 10:24:53 PM »
Vickers,

Thats the compressor I'm leaning towards and as far as the spray gun goes, couldn't agree more on your statement. I didn't know Dickblicks carried the compressor, will have to swing by the store here in Seattle and take a look at it up close if they have one in stock.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 03:52:48 AM »
I still rely on my 40 year old Paasche H external mix single action. It's happy spraying all types of paint, cleans easily, has good parts availability and is dirt cheap.  What I do concentrate on is air pressure and paint consistency combined with masks. My Iwata Micron B looks pretty in the box.

Steve

Offline fruibal

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
For me, from the higher end any GSI CREOS airbrush. Also, there are more affordable good quality airbrushers on the market at the lower end. You don't want to try those knock-off Chinese airbrushes unless you're using them as a horsework airbrush

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 06:06:32 AM »
I run 4 airbrushes.
Iwata SB Custom Micron v2
Iwata Eclipse (blocking in)
Harder & Steenbeck Colani
Harder & Steenbeck Infinity

Spray booth and Silair compressor.

Loads of money sitting there doing nothing.  :o but all part of my retirement plan.

My advice would be to go with an iwata eclipse and a half decent compressor.

Good luck.
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith