Author Topic: loupes - information please  (Read 801 times)

Offline s.e.charles

loupes - information please
« on: December 16, 2021, 07:22:52 PM »
surgical or dental; whatever they are called - i did a search and came up null.

i want something better than optivisor of tamiya.

any recommendation?

about "3x" would be good; currents (above) are 2.5x so i might like to go a little stronger.

thanks

Offline ColonelKrypton

Re: loupes - information please
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »
The Tamiya product is not usually referred to as an optivisor. I find it listed as the Tamiya Visor.

I mention that as there is a product that has been around for quite some time that is actually called the Optivisor and is a product of Donigan Optical.

https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/  They also have several other products.

I have had one for at least 20 years and couldn't do any modeling without one. Started with the low magnification lens that the standard product product came with and have replaced that with higher magnifications over the years as my eyesight has changed.

You will find similar copies from other Asian sources but I couldn't comment on their quality as I have only ever had an original Optivisor.

A quick search of Amazon show them available there. eBay sellers are another source and I have seen them in some hobby stores.  I forget where I got mine.

If you wish to search for other similar products you could try searching for "headband magnifier".

I have seen the type worn by my dentist that look like little binoculars and have often wondered if they would be better, worse, or indifferent for model building but I image as something sold in the medical / dental industry that they would be expensive.

Another option that others have mentioned have been to use high magnification reading glasses that can be found online or at your local pharmacy. 5+ or 6+ diopter reading glasses might just suit. I tried some low diopter reading glasses years ago before I got the optivisor and they work OK for me.

cheers, Graham

Offline petrov27

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
Optivisor owner/user here (the one ColonelKrypton links to above) - had it for years it is awesome. I did get an add on light as well for it.
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 01:31:18 AM »
    I too use the Donegan Optivisor product and highly recommend it. I bought the basic model with interchangeable lenses, (2.5 and 3.5 magnification) at least ten years ago and it is still like new despite constant use. Although I also bought the side mounted extra eye "loupe" I find I never need to use it. I use it over my reading glasses and it's very comfortable.  Great product that I have no reservation in recommending to you!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline s.e.charles

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »
thanks for the inputs and perspectives, All.

a couple of weeks ago i had ordered a loupe from amazon (Amazon.com: Ymarda Optics 3.0X Binocular Loupes Surgical Loupes (Black Frame 3.0X Magnifier with Different Working Distances) (L (440-540mm) with Black Frame) : Industrial & Scientific) but when they came it was obvious the working length was going to exceed my arm's same, so back they went.

i checked with my dental hygienist and she gave me the name & number of the company which furnished hers. calling them, it became apparent unless i was going to use them professionally it would not be a practical investment (starting at $1,200 US and heading upwards with any modification). but after explaining my conundrum, the lady suggested an optometrist making some higher powered readers, so that's the route i'm on now.

i had some prescription graduated lenses which i never could get used to, so i called Eyebobs and asked if they could swap lenses in the same frame. so for under $60.00, i'll have a pair of 3x magnifiers.

we'll see how those work before diving into a more sophisticated solution which my not be necessary.

thanks again for the feedback.