Author Topic: Turnbuckles on 3D Printer  (Read 1041 times)

Offline fruibal

Turnbuckles on 3D Printer
« on: December 06, 2021, 07:07:49 AM »
I would post this question directed more to the savvy guys in the rigging technique. Do you guys know if there is a designer that has come out yet in the modelling market, with 3D printing files for  DYI all of biplanes turnbuckles? Since 3d printers are becoming really popular, I'm planning to buy one to make my own turnbuckles. Any comments or leads would be much appreciated!!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Turnbuckles on 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 07:22:03 AM »
I would post this question directed more to the savvy guys in the rigging technique. Do you guys know if there is a designer that has come out yet in the modelling market, with 3D printing files for  DYI all of biplanes turnbuckles? Since 3d printers are becoming really popular, I'm planning to buy one to make my own turnbuckles. Any comments or leads would be much appreciated!!

'Gaspatch' make 3D turnbuckles.
Check them out here.  ;)

https://www.gaspatchmodels.com/accessories/

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline fruibal

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 07:40:46 AM »
I discarded buying Gaspatch as they're really pricey, so my idea is to make my own turnbuckles in my 3D printer, so the only thing I need is the file

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »
I discarded buying Gaspatch as they're really pricey, so my idea is to make my own turnbuckles in my 3D printer, so the only thing I need is the file

No file available as far as I know.
Go take yourself to a museum with a set of vernier scales and measure, chart and import into your favourite 3d program.
You will be 3d printing Turnbuckles in no time - good luck!

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Beto

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
Most domestic resin printers give 0.02mm layer thickness and that's just enough for 1/8 to 1/16 turnbuckles. I think 1/32 or smaller turnbuckles are not printable, and such a tiny resin item would also be prone to break under the tension of the wires...

Bughunter

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 10:42:54 PM »
I discarded buying Gaspatch as they're really pricey, so my idea is to make my own turnbuckles in my 3D printer
Hmm, is your printer able to sinter metal powder?
The advantage of the Gaspatch turnbuckles (at least the kind I used in 1/48) is the robust metal. I heard, that those are made by zinc diecasting, but I'm not sure.
For me they are worth the price, at least if you buy them with lower prices during Black Friday.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline fruibal

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 08:35:42 AM »
Thank you all you guys for all the answers, I think we are still ages far away from getting the technology of producing our own resin 3D turnbuckles. Meanwhile, we have gaspatch aftermarket products