Author Topic: An update on the Copper State Models Nieuports and other CSM news  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Following concerns that the Copper State Nieuports had sold out, I contacted Edgar at Copper State Models who has provided Forum members with an update on their status, and also offered a useful insight into some of the problems smaller model companies face in these Covid times.

The good news is the Copper State Nieuports will be back in stock hopefully in the first half of 2022.

WW1 aircraft are very niche and in terms of profit sell to a finite market and Edgar says on this basis they do not order a huge run of frames from the pressing plants in China. "It`s money to spend on storage, shipping, production. Usually, we are planning our stock to last around 2 years, then we can look at how it is going and decide what to do next.

"Currently, there is a shortage of Nieuports, but sadly, we cannot order 10 sets, you have to take a large batch of plastic, and the shipping rates these days are very high, due to the fuel prices, Covid, etc. The Nieuports should be back into our inventory hopefully in the first half of 2022, the same goes for Romfel.

"The Italian Lancia (35005) should return in January / February, just need to order decals and instructions, as we have the plastic due to a release of 35008 (German Pz.Sp.Wg. 1ZM (i))"

Offering an insight into the company's operations he says they would like to do more 1/32 aircraft but these cost about twice as much as armoured cars, plus the armoured cars sell much better.

CSM is always looking for new markets for WWI kits to attract more modellers.

Copper State launched 1/72 scale armoured cars but sales have not yet rewarded their investment. He says the same applies to the 1/48th scale aircraft, which is why Copper State is increasingly focused on 1/32 and 1/35 scale subjects now.

"They are the real money-generators for us, the market is bigger, and many aircraft modellers have moved from smaller scales into 1/32."

Copper State has a 1/32 Caudron G.III kit due for release in December and more large scale aircraft in development along with more of their acclaimed armoured car range.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline fruibal

Re: An update on the Copper State Models Nieuports and other CSM news
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
Thanks for the honest insight and it is very understandable. As  I said before, Edgar is very forthcoming in answering customer questions, he knows how to take care of every single simple detail... I hope we can continue with our loyal support, and help spread the WWI market niche to other untouched market segments by instilling the love of biplane modeling to other modelers that are used only to WW2 or modern modeling
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 02:38:13 PM by fruibal »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
Thanks for the update Edgar and to Dave for passing it on to us.
Zac in NZ

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 03:53:43 PM »
Thank you Dave and Edgar for the update and insight. I was exactly my thought but I take opportunity to share my admiration to Edgar and the other few courageous who invest in WWI model market as it's understandably a very hard task. Wish all of them the deserved success.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »
Thank you Dave and Edgar for the update and insight. I was exactly my thought but I take opportunity to share my admiration to Edgar and the other few courageous who invest in WWI model market as it's understandably a very hard task. Wish all of them the deserved success.
Ciao
Giuseppe

My thoughts and words, Giuseppe!

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
I figured it was a supply issue.  Much success to Edgar and the Copper State guys in the years to come.  I love their Nieuport kits!
Honor Necessity

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
Thank you Dave for getting all those info and sharing them with us.
I wish all the best to CSM and will await patiently how they develop, as every kit they release is of the top quality and worth waiting for.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 08:05:51 PM »
Thanks Dave and Edgar!
Good to know. Interesting insight about armoured cars being good sellers. Maybe there are some aircraft modellers who dabble in armoured cars or maybe they are a niche in themselves! Good stuff!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Dave
Well the good news is that Edgar is running his company on sensible business practice and only investing in things that will sell, which hopefully means he'll be around for a long time to come.

I remember Eduard starting out with some short-run kits - but established on sound business principles, they then sensibly progressed through better and better resources to the major presence they are today. Here's wishing success for CSM and hoping they can grow in a similar fashion.
Sandy

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 10:19:20 PM »
This is just a thought...CS could produce that elusive BE2c with a British staff car as a combo which also could be sold as separates?

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 04:33:35 AM »
Now there's a cool idea - and a combo I'd probably buy to show family and friends how big a BE is. Good thinking!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 03:24:42 AM »
Thanks for the update! It is good to hear that the Nieuports will eventually be back in stock and that the Bristol is still in the works!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 06:14:33 PM »
Good stuff -thanks for your efforts, Dave! (and Edgar, too)

Jeroen