Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II finished  (Read 14246 times)

Offline Grant

Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2022, 10:11:04 AM »
Stunning work, looks absolutely real Gary!
Have you ever posted your technique for applying woodgrain, would like to see how you make it look so real.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2022, 06:51:42 PM »
Getting better and better Gary, keep on!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2022, 06:52:16 PM »
Have you ever posted your technique for applying woodgrain, would like to see how you make it look so real.

That would be very interesting indeed

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2022, 10:22:44 PM »
Stunning work, looks absolutely real Gary!

Thanks Grant, I did post a couple of photos of this earlier, but will clarify my method here with a few steps I take.

1. Airbrush on a coat of light tan, for example Tamiya Buff XF-57
2. Gloss coat this with a coat of X-22
3. When the gloss is quite dry, mix up various measures of oil paint colours (and I try to use Winsor & Newton series 1). I place a dollop of each colour on a sheet of plastic, and mix them with mineral spirit in a spot in the middle.I think it's best to use older tubes of paint that have lost a lot of their linseed oil, or put the oil paint on a piece of cardboard first to "wick off" some of the oil since it will take longer to dry with the oil present. The oil paint colours I used on this build were Ochre, Burnt Sienna, and Raw Umber. The burnt sienna will give a very reddish look to the mix, so I add less of that.
When I'm satisfied with the colour, I add enough mineral spirit to make a mixture to smear into place on the model's glossy tan surface as in that photo at the bottom of page 3 of this thread. You can also see the old paint brush I use to make the streaks of woodgrain.
4. After smearing on the paint, I start to make streaks of grain, and as the paint dries over the course of a few minutes, the streaks start to take shape better as the mineral spirit dries off a bit.
5. After all streaks look good, and there are no smudges, odd lines, and no finger prints (!) I set it carefully aside for a couple of days.
6. It's best to work on small sections at a time, then when they are dry (at least a couple of days) then I gloss coat them and continue with the next sections.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:21:44 AM by gedmundson »

Offline Grant

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2022, 11:18:13 PM »
Thank you Gary for taking the time to describe your method. I will have to give this a try as your results are tryly amazing 👏

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2022, 02:59:08 AM »
That trick to pick out the nails is very clever Gary, top job!
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2022, 03:48:21 AM »
The results are fantastic, Gary.  Very realistic!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2022, 03:57:32 AM »
There has been a significant amount of time between my last update and this one due to trouble with my ability to work with the CDL decals for the wing surfaces. I realized early on that the shadows appearing under the decal needed to be more subtle than I'd planned, and that I also couldn't decided whether to have dark or lighter lines on the upper surfaces representing the rib and spar detail showing through. Also - the surface has to be QUITE glossy to prevent any silvering under the decals, and that it's imperative to apply them using warm, if not hot water for soaking. Even though I'm somewhat pleased with the "fabric" look, I'm not sure if I'd want to attempt this approach again.

The photo shows the upper surfaces of one of the upper and lower wings. I hope that I can now progress through the rest of the build without any more grief.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Grant

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2022, 02:56:14 PM »
Awesome look to the wing fabric, this is going to be a beautiful aeroplane when completed.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2022, 01:14:14 AM »
It might have presented challenges but the results speak for themselves! Gorgeous work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2022, 04:07:59 AM »
Looks superb to my eye.
Well done!

Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2022, 04:21:55 AM »
Those rib shadows look fantastic! I think you've nailed it.
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2022, 08:22:09 AM »
That's the ticket Gary  ;)

It's perfect

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2022, 06:23:38 PM »
Gary, here I see some fantastic work on the wings... wow!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2022, 08:57:22 PM »
The results look great in the photos, Gary. If there was silvering, now I do not see any traces of it.
But I understand fully your problems with application of decals and preshading. I was through the same. And I can only say, Airbrushing is so much simpler... Yet, sometimes it is necessary to apply the large decal sheets, as in the losenge case.
BTW, could you tell us if you anyhow polished the wings before applying the gloss undercoat paint?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.