Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II finished  (Read 13621 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2022, 02:48:55 AM »
After seeing this , I'm packing in the work bench . !

Wow , this is turning out to be your best one yet , beautiful work !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2022, 06:25:09 AM »
Hi Gary,
Yes, silvering under even 'Aviattic' decal can be a problem and I've experienced this as well.
The white backed decals are not a problem, but I've found application of any of the clear backed decals can cause this silvering.
As you say, an suitably coloured base coat, sanded/polished if necessary then gloss clear coated is necessary.
The surface has to be a smooth and as artifact free as possible.
Also I add PVA adhesive (white glue) to the decal water and stir it until it dissolves into the water.
Richard states this in his decal instruction sheets.
It does help in bonding the decal to the model surface.
Lastly you mentioned using 'Tamiya' X22 Gloss to seal decal edges.
I assume, like me, you've found most standard decal solutions are not very effective on 'Aviattic' decals.
Instead and when necessary, I use 'Tamiya' X20A acrylic thinners, which applied sparingly, will soften and seal the decal into shape.
This is also handy for conforming decal over small, raised detail, such as wing strut attachments, wing foot boards and pre-moulded panels etc.
I pierce through the decal first to release any trapped air or water, then cotton bud to press down the decal and only then apply the thinners.
Beware of using too though, as the decal can 'melt'.

Mike

Thanks for the helpful tip, Mike - I'll certainly try the X-20A acrylic thinner idea in future projects. I've seen Richard refer to using the white PVA glue to help with subborn edges, but not to dissolve it as an adhesive helper in the decal water - so another good thing to know. Usually making a few sharp pokes with a blade and adding some setting solution has solved most silvering problems...but not on this project strangely enough.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2022, 10:58:26 AM »
Thanks to all for their nice comments. Although I refrain from photos taken with an iPhone on the workbench, I could think of no other way to convey how I'm using some masking tape and copper clips (with my "helping hands" tool) to make the rigging. The tension is pulled on the EZ-Line, and crazy glue added to the points of contact...then it stays in suspended animation for as long as that "instant" (yeah, sure) crazy glue takes to set. I usually give it 20 minutes minimum. Then trim...and on to the next one. At this rate I'll be finished in August.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2022, 11:49:41 AM »
That is a complex solution but the results of your rigging speak for themselves!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »
This is time-consuming indeed, but the result looks great!

Very clever use of the 3rd hand to keep the rigging line taut Gary.

Willem

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2022, 05:09:36 PM »
thank you for sharing your rigging technique.  I will have to give that a go, as often my lines don;t seem to stick.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2022, 05:23:50 PM »
I can’t see any flaws on your Albatros… I mean, really, not just being friendly…  :)
Another wonderful build!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2022, 03:10:29 AM »
That's very clever Gary, I like it! I'm fortunate that my very cheap superglue sets in a very "super" manner so I just need to hold it for a minute or so, but then again I've never had turnbuckles etc involved.
Zac in NZ

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2022, 03:39:03 AM »
Your results look great. But for rigging I will use the eyelet-tube-monofilament method whenever it is possible.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2022, 11:09:55 PM »
Museum quality, simply astoundingly beautiful!

A true masterpiece.

Peter
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2022, 04:22:32 AM »
Your results look great. But for rigging I will use the eyelet-tube-monofilament method whenever it is possible.

Thanks Prze, I've used "invisible thread" before, which is like monofilament. But never mastered the technique, so I take the "E-Z" way out  ;). I'd admire modellers who can use monofilament, and probably need to get some experience with it before starting my Felixstowe  :o I also am happy the way the stretchy thread moves with the twists and turns of straightening the wings and flying surfaces and doesn't sag...in need of tension after-the-fact.

I've noticed that the wings on this model move quite a bit when turning it upside down during these last steps of construction, but know that my rigging lines will not sag.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
What size of E-Z line are you using ?

So far , just keeps getting better and better .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2022, 05:50:15 AM »
What size of E-Z line are you using ?

So far , just keeps getting better and better .

Alexis

Thanks for that, Alexis - I always appreciate your kind words! Here's the stuff I use...

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II - complete
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2022, 04:44:05 AM »
After 7 months of this project on the bench, I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done. It was quite a learning curve for me with using Aviattic CDL decals and Gaspatch metal turnbuckles for the first time, but I'm wiser for it and ready for my next WW1 aircraft project.

I'd like to thank all those that took the time to comment and ask questions and also offer suggestions to me throughout the build - I really appreciate each and every post (and I'm terrible at always properly acknowledging them!  :-[).

I'll try and post a few pics in the Completed section soon  :)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline acewwi

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2022, 04:56:59 AM »
BRAVO Gary,
looks (alive) real.
 :) :) :)
Spyros