Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II finished  (Read 13583 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
Top notch Gary !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2022, 12:54:31 PM »
Thanks as always to everyone for the kind comments!

Very realistic work, Gary.  This will certainly be a jewel in your showcase.  Did you use chipping fluid for the chipping effect?  It looks very authentic.

And thank you Ken, I've used hair spray before on some projects, but the chipping effects can be hard to control. For this one I used a 000 size brush and dabbed on some random black-grey Vallejo paint. The trick was to err on the side of "not too much" and keep the pattern subtle. Just enough to make it look used and scratched. It takes a few sessions, perhaps painting over the bits that don't look right.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »
This is looking better that great Gary!

The detailing and the weathering look very realistic.

Willem

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2022, 01:24:14 AM »
All the little details looks great, Gary!

I have this kit in my stash, so I am enjoying watching your build and taking notes!

You mentioned several pages ago that you might not attempt the CDL decals again.  Can you elaborate on that?  I assume you mean that the final appearance, combined with the time/effort to apply the decals (and maybe cost?) doesn't add up to enough of a difference as compared to painting techniques.  Or something like that.

I think the CDL decals look great mind you, and I have some Aviattic CDL linen decal sheets in my stash.  Have not used them as of yet however.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2022, 04:03:41 AM »
You mentioned several pages ago that you might not attempt the CDL decals again.  Can you elaborate on that?  I assume you mean that the final appearance, combined with the time/effort to apply the decals (and maybe cost?) doesn't add up to enough of a difference as compared to painting techniques.  Or something like that.

I think the CDL decals look great mind you, and I have some Aviattic CDL linen decal sheets in my stash.  Have not used them as of yet however.

Thanks, and your question is a good one. If the decals are applied properly they work really well. I'm more concerned with my skills and patience to apply them properly, as I tend to rush things a bit. Possibly not having a very glossy surface is my problem in some cases...but if I see even a hint of silvering I think the look is ruined. I'm sure contest judges walk up to a decent looking model thinking "nice linen effect" but upon closer examination then wince at the small areas of silvering and "oh dear..." I know I do.

I bought enough of the decals to do part of my Felixstowe, and still might use them actually.

The photo below is an example - not terrible, and I can disguise it with oily weathering stains. Visible at the front end of the vertical stabilizer. Part of the frustration of trying something new, I guess. I see a lot of modellers using these decals with great success, so I should really try harder  ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2022, 05:31:07 AM »
With the tricky job of attaching the top wings accomplished, I'm on to the next bit - adding the lines of rigging. Quite a job, I'm finding; it's like I'm rigging an aircraft model for the first time. A very painstaking process, but the build is seeing light at the end of the tunnel (a friend used to say "yeah, it's just a welder...welding on a new section of tunnel").
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2022, 05:38:01 AM »
Go toward the light Gary - what you've accomplished so far is so beautiful I can't wait to see the end!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2022, 07:58:38 AM »
The Albatros is continuing to be a Stunner! Beautiful work all around!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2022, 12:42:25 AM »
Continuing to be excellent work, Gary.  Your photography brings out the best in it.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2022, 12:46:37 AM »
Hey Gary, backing up a few posts - is that really silvering? I always consider that the clear film around a decal showing. Could it be decal glue? Did you use setting or solvent solution? Any chance it wipes off? It's recommended to use warm water only on those decals. I'm not doubting you I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. I have a fair amount of these decals in the stash and just want to get it right when I use them.

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2022, 04:56:16 AM »
Hey Gary, backing up a few posts - is that really silvering? I always consider that the clear film around a decal showing. Could it be decal glue? Did you use setting or solvent solution? Any chance it wipes off? It's recommended to use warm water only on those decals. I'm not doubting you I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. I have a fair amount of these decals in the stash and just want to get it right when I use them.

Steve

Thanks for asking Steve - I did follow Richard's instructions for application and feel that in some areas my finish just wasn't glossy enough to prevent the silvering. My photo of the tail fin wasn't very good, but it's definitely silvering....barely visible, but it's there. The only time I've used any setting solution on these is near the edges after application (MicroSol) and always just use warm water to apply them. I've also used Tamiya gloss acrylic X-22, brushed along the edges, to seal them.

I've used Aviattic lozenge decals succesfully on 6 WnW builds in the past, and any slight silvering really doesn't show up as much as it does with the CDL (in my opinion). I also know that airbrushing a gloss finish onto the surface can leave a bit of a "Matt" texture, which probably contributed to my issues on the underside decals. To summarize - these CDL decals will work very well over a very glossy finish, and any shadow detail painted underneath has to be subtle, as they are very transparent.

I'm sure you'll enjoy applying your stash of Aviattic CDL decals armed with a bit of shared experience from various modellers here  :)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2022, 09:08:02 AM »
Thank you Gary. Your build is still spectacular. I will make note of your findings.

Steve

Offline mess

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2022, 06:18:04 PM »
Great job, Gary.

Regarding matt spots - sometimes it could be solved with spraying just clear thinner over it. And when decal silvers anyway, I use sharp razor to cut decal through and use decal solution. It helps sometimes.
Martin from Czechia

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2022, 06:50:55 PM »
Beautiful work, Gary.  I know how you feel about silvering.  I've spent heaps of time making tiny incisions into the tiniest of air bubbles, then flooding them with decal softener.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2022, 07:07:36 PM »
Hi Gary,
Yes, silvering under even 'Aviattic' decal can be a problem and I've experienced this as well.
The white backed decals are not a problem, but I've found application of any of the clear backed decals can cause this silvering.
As you say, an suitably coloured base coat, sanded/polished if necessary then gloss clear coated is necessary.
The surface has to be a smooth and as artifact free as possible.
Also I add PVA adhesive (white glue) to the decal water and stir it until it dissolves into the water.
Richard states this in his decal instruction sheets.
It does help in bonding the decal to the model surface.
Lastly you mentioned using 'Tamiya' X22 Gloss to seal decal edges.
I assume, like me, you've found most standard decal solutions are not very effective on 'Aviattic' decals.
Instead and when necessary, I use 'Tamiya' X20A acrylic thinners, which applied sparingly, will soften and seal the decal into shape.
This is also handy for conforming decal over small, raised detail, such as wing strut attachments, wing foot boards and pre-moulded panels etc.
I pierce through the decal first to release any trapped air or water, then cotton bud to press down the decal and only then apply the thinners.
Beware of using too though, as the decal can 'melt'.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 07:13:17 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.