Author Topic: Airfix new tool 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2  (Read 2790 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Airfix new tool 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 04:36:04 AM »
Nice work, Mike.  I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
I'm so pleased to see this build posted here Mike, she's beautiful!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »
Hi all,
I shouldn't build more than one model at a time!!
I built the Vulcan B Mk.2 while still working on the Salmson 2-A2 model.
Someone on another forum spotted that I'd placed the Vulcan's left wing roundel too far inboard and that the jet pipes should be the longer version for the 201 series engine.
I can remove and replace the roundel.
However, the shorter jet pipes that are currently fitted form part of the mounting for the acrylic support rods.
Fortunately I kept the correct kit parts, but whether I can replace the existing jet pipes is debatable.

This is a case where I didn't see the wood for the trees!!

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 03:50:38 AM »
Someone on another forum spotted that I'd placed the Vulcan's left wing roundel too far inboard
Whew! I thought it was going to be something structural and difficult and
and that the jet pipes should be the longer version for the 201 series engine.
Oh dear! I spend a bit of time on Britmodeller and as a result have been made aware the jetpipes are a very important part of a Vulcan build which can determine whether you can build a certain airframe OOB or you need to do some scratching/invest in aftermarket. Hopefully your friend isn't such a die-hard Vulcan fan so they doesn't notice, or you gamble the other way and fix it.

Either way I think it looks awesome and would be overjoyed to have it on my shelf!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
Hi all,
For those interested in the Vulcan, a quick update.
To replace the jet pipes with the correct, longer versions.
It's strange how 'Airfix' provide these parts, but there's no mention of them in the assembly instructions.
All other model variations are shown, but only the shorter jet pipes are shown?
Anyway, as the shorter jet pipes were already fitted and part of the wing structure, I chose not to try cutting them out and replacing the entire assemblies.
Instead, I built the outer casings of the longer jet pipes, but without the inner jet pipes (internal jet pipes were already fitted).
I then separated the four pipes and marked, then cut away the casing leaving 7 mm from the rear edges.
These were then cemented onto the rear of the existing casings.
This means the acrylic rods used to support the model from inside the two inner engines still works.
I've yet to add the exterior plates around the front of each casing, which I'll do using thin plastic card.
Then it a case of painting them.

As for the re-positioning of the left roundel - I've received a replacement set of decals.
The previous roundel has been sanded off, so I just need to mask and paint that camouflaged area and weather it to match the surrounding area.   
Then I can apply the roundel, in the correct position this time then final clear coat,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 06:42:21 AM »
As much as I love New Airfix sometimes they make odd decision, be it in kit details (see the recent 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI/pseudo-TT.35) or not mentioning parts like this. Good on you for taking the time to make the fix, Mike!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »
Darn that build looks nice!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 02:03:13 AM »
Great looking Tin Triangle - and nice save!!

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 03:44:03 AM »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:27 AM »
That looks excellent Mike! Forgive my ignorance and apologies if I missed the explanation: what are the series of countersunk holes for?

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:41 AM »
The ten recesses are mounting the lapel badges of the ten RAF Squadrons that flew the Vulcan.
They'll also be a No.44 Squadron arm patch embroidered badge and Brass information plaque,

Mike

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2021, 05:09:16 AM »
That's a brilliant idea! Very cool.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2021, 02:31:24 AM »
Hi all,
Here's my completed model of Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2, Serial No:XM573 of No.44 (Rhodesia) Squadron.
The squadron was reformed in 1960 at Royal Air Force Waddington in Lincolnshire, UK, initially operating the Vulcan B Mk.1 from August 1960 then converting in January 1961 to the Vulcan B Mk.1a.
The Vulcan's were operated as high-altitude bombers as part of the UK's strategic nuclear deterrent.
In 1964,and due to the use of Soviet Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs), the Vulcan became vulnerable and their role was changed to low level penetration bombing.
In 1968 the squadron was equipped with eight of the B Mk.2 versions, which carried the WE177 'laydown' bombs.
In 1969 the Royal Navy took over the UK's role for nuclear deterrent and the Vulcan force was assigned to SACEUR, for the support of land forces.
In this role conventional weapons would have been used with the option to convert to nuclear weapons should the situation on the ground escalate.
The squadron served in this role until 1982, when their Vulcans were involved flying combat missions during the Falklands War.
The squadron was eventually disbanded in December 1982.

The model is the new release in 1:72nd scale by Airfix.
The decal markings are partly from the 'Kits World' (KW172214) set.
Paints used were primarily 'Tamiya' acrylic:
   Camouflage - RAF Medium Sea Grey (XF83) and RAF Dark Green (XF81).
   Anti-flash white - White (XF2) with added Buff (XF57).
   'Flory' Dark Dirt wash for panel line wash and 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) used for final sealing.
Display base:
   18mm thick MDF with routed profile edges and 8mm diameter holes for the model support rods. Sealed and painted matte-black with felt pads on the underside.
   8mm diameter acrylic rod heat bent as support rods into the modified internal structure of the Vulcan model.   
   Top surface is 2mm thick black Perspex, bored through to accept the ten squadron badges, the two acrylic support rods and black edge screws.
   Ten 25mm diameter lapel badges, representing the Vulcan squadrons, with the rear face clamping pins removed and filed flat.
   A woven No.44 Squadron patch.
   A clear acrylic cover fits over the display as protection against dust or damage.

Please excuse the quality of the photographs - not that great.

Mike

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 06:25:52 AM »
That looks superb Mike, I love the presentation. The squadron badges are such a nice touch. Well done!

As an aside, how did you find the Kits World decals to use? I have a set for my 1/72 B-29 and I've had at least one friend make disquieting noises when I mentioned the brand.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 06:29:43 AM »
Very slick presentation. I hope that the public will get to see that

Steve