Author Topic: Airfix new tool 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Airfix new tool 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:54 AM »
Hi all,
If you've followed any of my builds you'll know I build specifically 1:32nd scale WW1 aircraft.
However, a friend of mine was a crew chief on No.44 Squadron, RAF, operating the Vulcan B.Mk.2 from RAF Waddington, Lincolshire in the UK.
He retired from the RAF, like me, a long time ago and I'm building this as a surprise for his birthday next month.

So far the basic model, less canopy and landing gear has been built and primed ready for painting.
I wanted to display the aircraft taking off.
To that end I modified the inboard engine nozzles and the front and rear spars to accept 8 mm diameter acrylic rod.
Two lengths of the rod were heated and bent to the required angles.
The base board is 18 mm thick MDF which has been routed around the edges to accept the clear acrylic display cover.
I've drilled into, but not through the base to accepts the two acrylic rods.
Eventually the case will be wax polished around the edges, with a felt underside.
The top of the base will be inset with the embroidered Squadron arm patch with coloured lapel pins of 23 mm diameter, representing the 10 Squadron that flew this aircraft.
The serial number will be XM573.

I just hope the recipient has room in his bungalow for the entire thing, or I'll be looking for another home for it!!

Mike

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:53:34 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Re: 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »
Hi all,
The Vulcan I'm making is a conventional bomber, not the Blue Steel version.
I forgot to mention that I'll be using the camouflage masking set from 'TopNotch' (TNM72-M185).
Also the decal set from 'Kits World', which has the required markings for No.44 Squadron, as well as many other RAF Vulcan Squadrons.

The only problems I've found so far concerned the forward fuselage.
I had to sand around the nose weight holder as I found the fuselage halves would not fully join otherwise.
Also filling and sanding were needed around the forward fuselage to main fuselage joint.
Other than that just a few seams to tidy up using 'Mr. Surfacer' 500 or 1000.

I made the base and support rods, but I had the clear cover made by someone much better skilled than I am.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:52:17 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Re: 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »
Hi all,
The basic airframe has been built and painted.
The underside was 'Tamiya' White (XF2) with Deck Tan (XF55) added to dull it down.
Flory dark dirt applied then gloss coated to seal everything, using 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600.
The upper surfaces were 'Tamiya' Medium Grey (XF83) and Dark Green 2 (XF81).
I found the mask 'TopNotch' (TNM72-M185) set not of much use.
In the end I masked the camouflage to surfaces with thin cut strips of 'Tamiya' masking, in-filled with 18 or 6 mm masking tape.

I've yet to coat and weather the top surfaces then its the decals, landing gear and probes etc to fit.
I'm not sure as yet whether to use the 'Airfix' decal or those in the 'KitsWorld' set.
I think Airfix based their decals on the only surviving all anti-flash white Vulcan B.Mk2, which is on static display at Woodford.
I think the stencil markings on camouflaged Vulcan were darker?
The model is the conventional bomber version which will be in the take-off position,

Mike

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:52:01 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Airfix new tool 1:72nd Vulcan B Mk.2
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 01:44:41 PM »
   Beautiful Mike, just spectacular! What a wonderful gift and keepsake for your friend! I worked many the times with the Vulcan Crews in my Air Interceptor days in the 70's, simply great people and true professionals. Thanks for sharing this.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:02:07 PM »
Hi Lance,
Would that be during exercise 'Giant Voice' I wonder.
During my time we flew 'Red Flag' and 'Green Flag' from Nellis AFB and exercise 'Prairie Vortex' from Ellsworth AFB.

Mike

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
Beautiful model, the Vulcan was a spectacular aeroplane and makes a gorgeous present. Thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »
Hi all,
The Avro Vulcan served in the RAF from 1956 until 1984.
The standard red/white/blue roundels and fin flashes were used until the 1970's, when the roundels were changed for camouflaged aircraft, including the Vulcan in its low level conventional bombing role.
These were the red/blue only roundels and fin flashes.
I'm building a No.44 Squadron aircraft from the 1970's onward.
This squadron operated the Vulcan from August 1960 until December 1982, when they were disbanded.
The decals supplied with the kit have only one wing roundel (camouflage scheme), which is the red/blue type.
The following photograph is of four No.44 Squadron Vulcan's practicing over RAF Waddington for their disbandment ceremony in 1982.
It clearly shows these aircraft with a red/blue roundel on both wings, not just the port wing, with fin flashes of the same colour.
I would suggest anyone building this model researches the particular time period and squadron markings for their model, to ensure the correct type of markings are applied.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:10:25 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »
Hi all,
Getting close to completion now.
The decals have been applied, but like the F4 Phantom, there are lots and many are so small they can hardly be seen.
Flory Grey wash was applied over the upper surfaces then sealed with a clear coat.
Just a few things left to do:
Refuel probe.
Engine casings.
Aerials.
Landing gear and doors.
Navigation lights.
Coloured spine panels.

Then the display base.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:16:23 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:12:46 AM »
Hi all,
Here's the finished Vulcan.
'Flory Models' grey clay wash over the upper surfaces, Dark Dirt on the underside and landing gear.
Sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311).
I also used 'Tamiya' weathering master (soot and oil) around some parts and decals.
I've also added a couple of antenna that are included in the kit and the upper navigation light.

Now it's onto completing the display base,

Mike

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 04:52:47 PM »
She's a real beauty, I also like the clever display with clear bars to keep liftoff position.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
Nice work Mike, she is a beauty!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »
Beauty! Well done, Mike.  I really like the mounting idea.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
I'm tempted to have a go at building the Vulcan, seeing your results may just push me to have a go.
Excellent build.

Well done.
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
Hi, I  really like your build. Cold War jets have a certain appeal…no rigging for one  ;)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 12:39:20 AM »
Mike,
    Beautifully done ........  The finish is exceptional and what an impressive "beast" she is! The mount and display case are impressive; all in all a wonderful keepsake for your friend, he will no doubt be thrilled to receive it.!  PM on the way regarding mutual ops with these Gents.
Cheers,
Lance