Author Topic: 1st one  (Read 762 times)

Offline aaronc

1st one
« on: November 02, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
Gentlemen I had planned on getting here a little sooner but better late than never. Been here pretty much lurking for 2 years now  :-\  Covid put me behind on a few of my commitments but my last scrimshaw project is moving along and I'm getting in scale model gear. Have my dedicated work space in my shop  set up. I rehabbed  an old workbench I had in the garage,..still have some rough edges to go over. Got my 2nd LED up a few days ago,..I'll probably add a bench light to the mix but this will do for now. Santa is even going to bring me some of those fancy green mats you guys use...as well as some other goodies like some saws for plastic. Anyway,..I have about 5 kits I purchased last year and we are going to start with the 2 cheaper ones. Just opened this up the other night and laid it out. I have quite a few things saved on the net to help me along plus a few books. Will be doing my parts prep and such soon. I'll be ordering glue and paint as needed. Do have an initial question...it looks like there is a model number molded into the body of the plane....you guys usually sand this off so it doesn't show I'm assuming ??Thanks -Aaron

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:47:16 AM by aaronc »

Offline aaronc

Re: 1st one
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »

Offline aaronc

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »
I had file attachment issues,.sorry for the multiple posts.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
Hey Aaron, good to see you take the plunge - and that's a good inexpensive old mule of a kit to practice some techniques on.

That Smer kit is a re-pressing of the old Merit (J&L Randall) Albatros kit dating from the 1950s -which was itself a copy of the Aurora kit of similar vintage. Back then these kits had raised embossed lines in the plastic representing markings, over which you were supposed to stick the decals. When the moulds were acquired variously by Artiplast, Monogram and Smer most of the raised markings were removed - but obviously the tail serials are still on yours and should be sanded off.

Given its vintage the kit isn't bad but very inaccurate in outline and lacking detail - but I reckon that makes it a good testbed for learning on. Once you've cut your teeth on this one, you might have a look at an Eduard Albatros (also fairly inexpensive, but miles better).

Most of us started off with kits exactly like this, so you're following the 'classic' route into the hobby!
I hope you get lots of enjoyment and there are lots of friendly people here if you need advice, encouragement, assistance, etc.
Good modelling
Sandy

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 11:01:35 PM »
Hey Aaron, good to see you take the plunge - and that's a good inexpensive old mule of a kit to practice some techniques on.

That Smer kit is a re-pressing of the old Merit (J&L Randall) Albatros kit dating from the 1950s -which was itself a copy of the Aurora kit of similar vintage. Back then these kits had raised embossed lines in the plastic representing markings, over which you were supposed to stick the decals. When the moulds were acquired variously by Artiplast, Monogram and Smer most of the raised markings were removed - but obviously the tail serials are still on yours and should be sanded off.

Given its vintage the kit isn't bad but very inaccurate in outline and lacking detail - but I reckon that makes it a good testbed for learning on. Once you've cut your teeth on this one, you might have a look at an Eduard Albatros (also fairly inexpensive, but miles better).

Most of us started off with kits exactly like this, so you're following the 'classic' route into the hobby!
I hope you get lots of enjoyment and there are lots of friendly people here if you need advice, encouragement, assistance, etc.
Good modelling
Sandy

Sandy, thanks for the reply. This kit appears to still have the remnants of the raised embossed lines on the wings for the German crosses. Didn't show up great in the pic but they are present. I got the rest of my kits out to see what I had,..looks like I have 2 of these cheapies and then I'll be moving on from there. The Stearman isn't WW1 obviously but I like the plane and read good things about the kit.  - Aaron

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 11:03:56 PM »