Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1  (Read 3152 times)

Offline DaveB

1/32 Roden Fokker DR1
« on: November 01, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »
Dear all,

I'm always a bit nervy of doing build logs, but I feel a bit guilty not sharing my current project.  If okay with everyone, I have decided to do what I will call a 'progress report'.  This means I will only update once I have completed major stages rather than a full bit by bit update.

I am currently working on the following and I am just over two weeks in.

I am also using Eduard's photo etch detail set for this particular kit and I am also seeing if I can push my bounderies a bit by added other little corrections and minor details.  Another reason I decided on my progress report so that I can share what I am trying out and doing.  I could not make my mind up on the marking and colour scheme - my wife Jacquie helped me decided so will go for Joseph Jacob's on black mount.   I am glad I have as I read his profile on Wikipedia last night - a very interesting individual who would not join the Nazi party when Hitler came to power.   

I am aware he used allied engines in his machine, so my build will represent his aircraft prior to change!  Therefore, this will be my interpretation of his aircraft.

So, this is where I am currently at - cockpit and fuselage completed:

The black paint is my testing to ensure I have eradicated the joint.   Some shimming was required on the top section as the fit was not perfect here.

I addressed the underside by adding a narrow strip of plastic sheet along the centre to represent the stitching and added so rough scoring to give an impression of stiches when finally painted.   I also added some panels (plastic sheet cut to shape) to front underside to add a bit more interest:

Horizontal stabiliser in the kit features a strange gap running down the centre.  I addressed this using thin plastic card cut to size of gap glued in place.  Once glue had set I sanded this down then added some model filler to remove any visible lines.  This has now been sanded down before drilling out the gaps for the elevator cables.  This was all done prior to installing elevator:

I am now starting work on improving the kit supplied cowling which is molded complete and seamless.   After a bit of thought I used a £1 coin (it matched the size of the semi circle I need) to draw line in pencil.  Once I had this line I cut a tin strip of plastic sheet and have glued on following this drawn line.   Once this has all fully set, the next part will be to file down and then use filler on the outside edge.  I'm not how this will work in progress - time will tell!

That's all for now folks - more will follow in due course.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:03:19 PM »
Nice start on this Dave.  I see you are handling the kit's shortcomings.

One note, Jacobs plane also had some braces running from the rear landing gear leg to the axle wing, if you are so inclined to add.  I'm sure it was another field application that would not be on the plane as it was delivered from the factory.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 04:23:15 AM »
Good start on this one Dave. I do like your modifications and improvements, they will make the model look much more realistic. Looking forward to seeing this for real in the not too distant future.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 05:52:08 AM »
Excellent start and nice additions Dave! I look forward to your continued progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:04 AM »
Well Done so far, Dave, with every expectation of a future first rate build. I built this kit a few years ago and I have another of these kits in my cache. I'll visit now and then to see what methods you use that might assist my future revisitation to the kit. Good luck to you with this project!  8)

Cheers!

TP
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
Nice start on your Dr.I. Old school corrections look very effective and add a great value, looking forward to next steps.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »
Thank you all kindly, folks -

I got some of my mods by looking on the web and seeing what others have done so do not claim to thought of these myself!

Regards

Dave

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 08:56:14 PM »
Good start Dave.  I have one of these (somewhere! LOL) and will enjoy following along your
build to pick-up some valuable tips and techniques.  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 06:09:23 PM »
Good start Dave.  I have one of these (somewhere! LOL) and will enjoy following along your
build to pick-up some valuable tips and techniques.  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Thank you, Ernie - your welcome mate!

Regards

Dave

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Lovely start Dave. I feel with you, I feel guilty, too. I should post more progress reports. I like to see that Roden is not forgotten,now since the Meng Fokker appeared.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline DaveB

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 02:27:56 AM »
Lovely start Dave. I feel with you, I feel guilty, too. I should post more progress reports. I like to see that Roden is not forgotten,now since the Meng Fokker appeared.
Bye, Manni

Cheers, Manni -

I always did and still do like Roden kits - you just have to be prepared for vague part placement, fiddly interior fitting and not so great decals.

Regards

Dave

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
Fokker is looking fantastic so far Dave !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »
Thank you, Alexis!

Okay - next installment:

Whilst working on the cowling I also started work on the engine.   I know from previous experience (I've built Roden's Fok. F1 and DVI) that the engine is a very tight fit in cowling and will not turn if built from the box as is.   What I did here then was to file down each cylinder to the point where the molded spark is.   The cylinder ends and valves are seperate parts - I also sanded then down before installing.  This now means the push rods and induction pipes also have to be shorted - these were trimmed to fit.   Finally, very slightly filed down the valves.   All now fits in cowling and rotates freely:

Engine painted and ignition leads added.   Also worked on the MG's:

Work on cowling completed so engine and cowling installed:

Lower and mid wings started - I've added some plastic rod on leading edges (inserted in pre drilled holes) which I then filed down to shape and size to simulate the packing/stacking points:

The kit instructions will have you attach the mid wing and top deck section as one.   This makes tidying and painting tricky so installed top deck first.   This now required me to cut the attachment in the middle.   To help fit I have added some sections of plastic sheet.   Installing the interplane struts required the location slots in the wing to be opened up to properly fit:

Work also started on the areofoil axel.  According to what I have read on the interweb, Roden's molded detail is incorrect for the DR1.  I sanded of this detail, added some filler then smoothed out when dry.  Added some square sections of plastic sheet to simulate jacking points/pads.   I also have been informed that Jacobs machine featured reinforcement struts to the undercarriage.  I used plastic rod filed flat to aerodynamic shape and cut to size.  I also used some left over PE parts to simulate attachment brackets:

So a fair bit of work completed over the last week.   I have now installed the horizontal stabiliser and support struts and lower wing.  Now ready to add some paint:

More to follow

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 12:39:22 AM »
Excellent progress and terrific updates to the kit parts!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 11:56:50 PM »
Thank you, Rick -

Next update:

I have now completed the fuselage with lower and mid wings and have installed the MG's:

I have completed the propeller using the following method:

Painted the prop overall oche then free hand painted the lighter laminate using beige (apologies for the quality of pics) -

Once dried, applied (iberally) burnt ochre artist oil paint thus -

Using a flat coarse brush, drew out the excess oil paint (wiping brush dry before continuing to draw out on prop) until I was happy I had achieved the look I was after -

I then put aside for a couple of days (to allow oil paint to fully dry) before sealing in using 'clear orange'.  Once this had dried, I applied the prop stencil decals but swapped the kit 'Axial' one (printed small and in black and white) replacing it with a spare WNW decal which has better detail.  Painted the prop boss -

Sealed decals in using several coats of semi gloss coat.   Here is the completed prop now ready for use -

Now started work on upper wing.   More in due course.

Regards

Dave