Author Topic: New Kits and Accessories Reviewed!  (Read 26449 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: New Kits and Accessories Reviewed!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2022, 06:49:38 PM »
Hi folks

Our latest product review has just been uploaded to the Forum.

This time it's an outstanding new reference book - Modelling and Painting World War 1 Allied Figures
By Forum member Mike Butler.

This is a brilliant 'how to' book to guide us through the nuances of painting realistic WW1 Allied figures.

It's an absolute 'must have' reference book for figure painters and the link to my review on the Magazines and Books board is here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13374.0

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Kit

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 07:49:26 PM »
 :) Great, looks fantastic, have ordered.

Offline MikeNZ

MikeTheKiwi Book Re: New Kits and Accessories Reviewed!
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2022, 09:01:18 PM »
I'm indebted to David for his comprehensive, balanced & well written review on my book.
It has been a labour of love over the past few years to put together with the help of so many people.
As another way of saying thank you to supporters I am offering the chance to get a bust from my personal collection.
Further detail I this flyer:

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 05:58:21 AM »
Hi all,
Received my hard back copy.
This is the bible for not only painting figures, but also building figures.
Worth every penny, even if you don't use figures,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2022, 07:05:42 AM »
I've been thinking for a while about branching into some figure painting; my early attempts in 1/48 have been pretty comical, so i've also just put in my order for Mike's book. This looks like an amazing resource.

Cheers,

Brad

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »
I've been thinking for a while about branching into some figure painting; my early attempts in 1/48 have been pretty comical, so i've also just put in my order for Mike's book. This looks like an amazing resource.

Cheers,

Brad

Hi Brad,
You won't regret it,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2022, 05:25:57 PM »
Hi all - I am pleased to present our next in-box review, the Special Hobby 1/72 CAC CA-19 Boomerang "Jungle Scouts".

Go check this one out over in the "World of Scale Modeling" forum, here -

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13376.0

Thanks to Special Hobby for providing the review sample. Help to support those that support our forum!

Cheers,

BC

Offline MikeNZ

MikeTheKiwi Book Re: New Kits and Accessories Reviewed!
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2022, 11:03:37 AM »
:) Great, looks fantastic, have ordered.
Cheers Newbie - do share what you think of it please? Keen to learn if it is of value & thanks for your support.
MikeTheKiwi
Hi all,
Received my hard back copy.
This is the bible for not only painting figures, but also building figures.
Worth every penny, even if you don't use figures,
Mike
Appreciate your support Mike & trust you’re able to put it to practical use quickly. Also neat to get your entry for my “Henry” bust.
Keep us posted on what you find most useful as you work through the book.
MikeTheKiwi
Cheers, Brad
Trust you’ll find the book helps Brad.
I’m an experimental modeller & not trying to sell a particular product or approach. Instead help modellers understand what works for them & how to have a Plan > Do > Check > Adjust to developing their own approach.
Will be good to see what you think of it too.
MikeTheKiwi

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2022, 05:47:19 PM »
Hi folks

I'm happy to introduce our latest WW1 aircraft kit review- the Eduard 1/48 scale Sopwith Camel (Bentley) Weekend Edition.

This is Eduard's Weekend Edition of their Br.1 Camel kit and our review of it and the Zoom PE aftermarket detail set can be found here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13399.0

Our sincere thanks to Eduard for supporting our Forum with review items.

Check out Eduard's product range at: https://www.eduard.com/

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2022, 05:25:26 PM »
Hello everyone!

We've been generously provided another KP Sopwith Triplane in 1/72 to review, this time the lovely RNAS boxing:

The review is here, appended to the end of our previous review:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12578.0

Our sincerest thanks to KP for continuing to be such a strong supporter of our forum. Please support those that support us!

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2022, 12:48:56 AM »
Maybe derailing this thread a bit but I just want to comment on Mike Butler's book. Every now and then a book comes along that really changes the landscape. We all know Shep Paine's diorama book (and those gloss diorama building pamphlets in Monogram kits) took modeling to the next level. Verlinden and all the current Spanish companies built their empires based on his techniques. Bill Horan released a pretty  good figure painting volume as well. I have to say Mr. Butler's book will stand on the shelf every bit these previous releases equal. Excellent (and a bit nostalgic) drawings, perfect photography, clear demonstrations and explanations make this an extremely valuable resource. The use of gouache paint, texturing various paints etc etc are all new to me but even seasoned vets will gain further knowledge from this book. It is fascinating to watch the figure progress from googley eyed zombie through to the finished, beautifully painted figure. The real beauty of this book is, through all the demonstrations, the underlying voice can be heard saying "You can do this." I love this book, as a reference and as a source of eye candy. Thank you Mike Butler. I ordered mine through Book Depository - UK to Canada in 8 days for $30.93C 

Steve

Offline MikeNZ

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2022, 02:00:32 PM »
Maybe derailing this thread a bit but I just want to comment on Mike Butler's book. Every now and then a book comes along that really changes the landscape. We all know Shep Paine's diorama book (and those gloss diorama building pamphlets in Monogram kits) took modeling to the next level. Verlinden and all the current Spanish companies built their empires based on his techniques. Bill Horan released a pretty  good figure painting volume as well. I have to say Mr. Butler's book will stand on the shelf every bit these previous releases equal. Excellent (and a bit nostalgic) drawings, perfect photography, clear demonstrations and explanations make this an extremely valuable resource. The use of gouache paint, texturing various paints etc etc are all new to me but even seasoned vets will gain further knowledge from this book. It is fascinating to watch the figure progress from googley eyed zombie through to the finished, beautifully painted figure. The real beauty of this book is, through all the demonstrations, the underlying voice can be heard saying "You can do this." I love this book, as a reference and as a source of eye candy. Thank you Mike Butler. I ordered mine through Book Depository - UK to Canada in 8 days for $30.93C 

Steve
Wow!! Thank you Steve for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Especially pleasing to see you find value from my book & plan to put it to use.
Being compared to likes of Shep, Francois & Bill Is particularly kind.
I deliberately wanted a variety of aids like the sketches & photos to help different learning styles as was keen to make it as accessible to wide range of modellers. I’m proud to have had my son Ed contribute his art too. He is one of a number of people I collaborated with to produce this book which is really a team effort.
Please do consider sending me details to enter you in a draw for my bust “Henry”.
Gratefully yours,
MikeTheKiwi

Offline WD

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »
Thanks for a great review on the Sopwith Tripe Brad!

Now, if only I could figure out how to get that rigging thread through that middle wing without buggering the thing up. Lot's of room for error for me on that part. ;)

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2022, 03:27:02 PM »
Hi everyone - I am pleased to present our next review kit, the 1/72 KP Albatros C.III:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13455.0

Quite a nice kit of a neat aircraft. Go check it out!

Thanks to KP for the review sample. Please support those that support our forum!

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2022, 11:24:27 PM »
Great review! Good to see KP investing in the WWI field.

Steve