Author Topic: Kovozávody Prostějov Škoda D.1 plastikovy model 1/72  (Read 628 times)

Offline ColonelKrypton

Kovozávody Prostějov Škoda D.1 plastikovy model 1/72
« on: October 22, 2021, 05:10:37 AM »
This was a build I did for the High Wing Group build on Britmodeller.  I never thought to post the work in progress here but in any case my build has reached it's destination.

( WIP here if interested:  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097749-kovoz%C3%A1vody-prost%C4%9Bjov-%C5%A1koda-d1-plastikovy-model-172-the-has-found-a-destination/ )

The kit was one of Ko Pro's earlier releases of the Skoda D.1. After a quick look, it looked like it may have been a copy of one of the first issues of kit or at least the box art indicated so. However, on the side of the box the "made in Czechoslovakia" was scratched out with a black maker and a sticker on the box indicated that it was "made in the Czech Republic" dating this issue to sometime around or after 1993. Old stock perhaps?

For those that don't know and I certainly didn't at that time, the Skoda D.1 was a license built version of the French Dewoitine D.21 which in turn was a development of Dewoitine D.12 which was a one of the various developments of the Dewoitine D.1. The D.1 was the first aeroplane designed by Emile Dewoitine and was a parasol winged monoplane having a metal oval section fuselage with  duralumin sheet skinning and fabric covered wing.

This kit itself is made of a white plastic that is neither too soft nor too hard and has very little flash. Surface detail is not over done and quite acceptable for kit in this scale. The only real issue is that there is a bit of a depression on the upper mid wing - not too obvious but in such a location that I am not going to bother try to fix it as the repair would undoubtedly do more to damage the surrounding area than to actually fix this minor complexion issue. There is a total of a couple dozen parts most of which are various small bits like struts and the like plus two machine guns which I will not be using.  Parts fit is not "fall together" Tamiya but should not present any challenges other than the need to spend the time dry fitting and adjusting as needed.

Decals are well beyond yellowing and fast approaching an interesting shade of orange. I don't have anything suitable in the spare decals box so I will need to either paint on the marking, roll my own, or a combination of both.

This build has been fun. I found this kit, forlorn and sad looking in a corner of the bargain bin at my local hobby store; kind of like the homely puppy no one wanted to bring home.

For all of $5 CDN it was a good build, not difficult but with a few challenges. Every kit deserves it's day.

I am off to search some more through the that bargain bin, perhaps I will find some other journeys to follow.

cheers, Graham

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Re: Kovozávody Prostějov Škoda D.1 plastikovy model 1/72
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
Beautiful work, Graham! Its an interesting aeroplane, one I wasn't familiar with. It seems to have a SPAD-like appearance to the cowling and radiator.

I've just read through your build thread on BM, sounds like there were a few issues but you've got them sorted. The interior looks brilliant, too.

Excellent!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 08:25:07 PM »
Thank you Mark.

It was a pleasurable build. A cheap, previously owned kit that likely passed through several hands before I found it, an unusual subject, and no pretense of needing to make it "perfect".

cheers, Graham

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:13:22 PM »
Credit where it's due, Graham! Its a super build and a very interesting looking aeroplane.

Being something of a dillettante, I did a quick search for one - eBay came up with a few but they all seem to be in the USA and shipping is enough to make my wallet cry ;D But I think I'll keep looking, nonetheless :)

Cheers,
Mark