Author Topic: Precision Micro Cutter  (Read 663 times)

Offline ColonelKrypton

Precision Micro Cutter
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »

Franks ( Bughunter ) comments regarding vinyl cutters for cutting masks ( etc ) reminded me of something else I found useful.

Many of these common vinyl cutters use cutting blades that are 2mm in diameter and often made from carbide are very sharp and stay sharp for some time if not abused.

The Swann - Morton number 3 handle with 10A blades seems to a favourite - sharp, easy to use, and good for general use and fine detail work although I prefer a number 11 blade for more precise work. I also have a number 6B handle with number 26 blades for somewhat bigger tasks. I haven't used a Xacto knife or blades since I discovered scalpel handles and blades over 30 years ago.

One day it struck me that the vinyl cutter blades being 2mm in diameter would very nicely fit in the common mechanical drafting pencil which takes 2mm leads. I tried it, the mechanical pencil holds the cutter blades very well and provide a great deal of control and finesse in use.

Certainly not for cutting parts from sprues or carving plastic or wood but quite handy when used for cutting decals or masks.

These blades also fit drafting bow compasses which use 2mm leads. This is what I was using for cutting circle masks before I got the Dspiae circle cutter.

cheers, Graham

Offline Stuart Malone

Re: Precision Micro Cutter
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 03:52:33 AM »
There's also the 'craft cutter' that can be found on eBay for under $10 with 3 blades.  These might be the same size as the ones in your DSPAIE as well.

Stuart