Author Topic: Hello from Derbyshire!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Hello from Derbyshire!
« on: October 13, 2021, 08:04:45 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Mark, I've been lifelong model-maker since my first Matchbox Westland Lysander at age 7 or 8 (what a mess that was!). Aeroplanes were supplemented from about age twelve with railway subjects and subsequently phased out, although in my twenties I became deeply interested in WW1 subjects in 1/48th scale. I had a lot of Eduard kits although I didn't manage to actually complete anything.

I've continued sporadic railway modelling down the years, the majority of which has been 4mm/1ft scale (1/76) railways, set around 1900-1905, and of quite unusual subjects. But with the onset of Covid last year, I thought it would be fun to do a group build with my two sons (aged 13 and 12 at the time) to help bring us together even though we live 300 miles apart. The kit I chose is the Airfix 1/72 Curtiss Tomahawk IIb, and that build has led to a burgeoning stash of kits, mostly WW2 subjects with a few from the late 1930s.

However, I've been feeling the draw of WW1 subjects again, which has led to the purchase of a Choroszy Phonix D.III - my first Great War kit in over 25 years :) There will be more! I'll be sticking with 1/72nd scale as space is a consideration. Also, 99% of my childhood builds were in that scale, so there's the nostalgia factor!

I'm sure that as a returning WW1 aviation modeller I'll have a lot of newbie questions - for one thing, things have moved on a long way and I don't know what's available these days! So I hope you'll all forgive me if I ask what's already been asked before.

Kind regards,

Mark

Offline macsporran

Re: Hello from Derbyshire!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
Hi Mark
Welcome to another member driving on the left side (ie the right side!) of the road.
Lots of friendly people here to help with any questions. And, don't fear posting pictures of your models - this is a very encouraging and supportive place, with everybody just happy to promote this great hobby.
Cheers from the North!

Sandy
Crieff
Perthshire

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:15:23 PM »
Hi Mark
Welcome to another member driving on the left side (ie the right side!) of the road.
Lots of friendly people here to help with any questions. And, don't fear posting pictures of your models - this is a very encouraging and supportive place, with everybody just happy to promote this great hobby.
Cheers from the North!

Sandy
Crieff
Perthshire

Hi Sandy,

many thanks for your kind words! I'm certainly hoping to learn a thing or two, and looking at some of the builds on the Forum I think that's guaranteed!

I expect it might be a while before I'm posting any build photos, as I've several more modern (1920s/30s/WW2) builds ongoing at the moment, but we'll see how long I can resist!

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »
Hi Mark

Rest assured everyone will make you feel welcome here and our policy at this Forum is quite simple- everyone is equal.

Enjoy your model making and please show us your builds. There's some nice new 1/72 scale kits coming out now from Kovozavody Prostejov, Eduard and others so your timing to return to WW1 modelling is good.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:41 AM »
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your kind words of welcome! I think I've timed it quite well to get back into WW1 modelling, but knowing what's available is.a bit of a learning curve! Or like being a kid in a sweetshop! I think I'm going to have to seriously thin my existing stash to make room.....

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark

Rest assured everyone will make you feel welcome here and our policy at this Forum is quite simple- everyone is equal.

Enjoy your model making and please show us your builds. There's some nice new 1/72 scale kits coming out now from Kovozavody Prostejov, Eduard and others so your timing to return to WW1 modelling is good.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 05:55:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 06:05:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Many thanks for your kind words, it's great to be here! I'm looking forward to seeing some great builds here - so far I'm completely blown away by the builds I've seen.

Kind regards,
Mark

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Mark! Don't feel reluctant to ask questions, in this group there are two things that never change; the answer is ALWAYS here and there's nothing that is viewed as a silly question!  Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Mark! Don't feel reluctant to ask questions, in this group there are two things that never change; the answer is ALWAYS here and there's nothing that is viewed as a silly question!  Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance
Hi Lance,

Many thanks for your kind words of welcome and encouragement - it's great to be here!

Someone once said to me that the only silly question is the one you don't ask, and that has always held true. It's good to be among fellow enthusiasts who are happy to share their knowledge and advice.

One particular aspect of the subject that has really brought home to me how things have moved on in the last 25 years is the research that has taken place. A case in point is Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing colour: 25 years ago olive green overall was the accepted truth, now we believe in coloured segments. Fascinating!

Kind regards,
Mark

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 05:46:08 AM »
Welcome aboard, Mark.

You have come to the right place.
Enjoy!

Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 05:56:34 AM »
Hi Bob,

many thanks! I'm enjoying the Forum already, the wealth of knowledge and skill is quite astounding!

Kind regards,
Mark