Author Topic: CSM 1/.32 Nieuport 17  (Read 1895 times)

Offline macsporran

CSM 1/.32 Nieuport 17
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »
I fancied an RFC Nieuport for my shelves and enthusiastically started on a 17 Late with the intention of building a Billy Bishop machine. The cockpit was commenced and the necessary Model Cellar BIshop figure pulled out of hibernation.

Once I'd assembled the beautiful cockpit two thoughts struck me:
1 can I bear to cover this all up, and
2 did Bishop actually have a Vickers gun on his blue-nosed machine........

aaargh. of course, he only had a wing mounted Lewis gun. Doh!

At this stage, my attention span of a gnat was seduced by the lovely RFC 5-colour camo Nie 27 and I found the Roden 27 kit had unboxed itself and submitted to much fondling of parts! Billy shouted at me, but my fickle fancy had wandered and B6768 took precedence, leaving Billy bereft and CSM abandoned. Oh the shame.

Sorry about flash on the parts pic, still using a crappy Sony Xperia, I'm afraid.
Sandy

Offline macsporran

Re: CSM 1/.32 Nieuport 17
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:41:29 PM »
Again, could I bear to cover this all up?
Indecision set in, and I built a couple of vintage car models.

Into the storage box for the Nie 17

to be continued....
S

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »
Don't know about you but I love to put an appropriate figure in front of my aeroplane models. These used to be relatively inexpensive but costs have risen and 20GBP is not uncommon for one of the new, admittedly superb, figures from the likes of Model Cellar and CSM. There are also some terrible caricatures that I wouldn't use, even if free, but appear on ebay at premium prices - I am lucky to have a dozen or two good figures bought years ago but I'm always on the lookout for good figures at good prices.

One great source are the 1/35 sets from MasterBox, MiniArt and ICM. These are styrene and lend themselves to interchanging parts and are regularly offered on auction for quite low costs. For example, I recently bought three sets of 5 figures in bags (no boxes) for 15GBP! - that's about 1GBP each with shipping - or 15 figures for the cost of 1 resin masterpiece,

You're wondering what this has to do with the CSM Nieuport? Well, one set was MiniArt 35105 WW2 French Tank Crew - with an officer that looked a pretty good fit to me, for a Premiere Guerre. Aviation Militaire, pilote!

The CSM N17 entered my thoughts again - but maybe a French one......
I started on Monsieur, Le Pilote...
Sandy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:00:01 PM by macsporran »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »
Thanks for the info. He does Make a Fine Looking Pilot  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jamieg

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:12:12 AM »
Great build. Bishop's number '5' is actually one of the options in CSM's RFC Nieuport XXIII kit. Might I ask what paint are you using for the blue parts?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
Thanks Jamie, yes, the arrival of the CSM N23 was one of the factors that reminded me that the twin gun N17 I was contemplating for Bishop was quite inappropriate!
I have a drawerful of Humbrol enamels and while I rarely use them on aircraft for main colours, they're useful for interior details sometimes. The blue is 47 Sea Blue with a touch of 109 WWI Blue and 44 Pastel Blue added.
(Actually I sometimes spray Humbrol enamels for my car models - it works surprisingly well thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner!)
Cheers
Sandy

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
I showed Le Pilote painted but actually as soon as I had him semi-assembled the decision for a French Nie had been made. And, why not the most colourful on offer? It was many decades since I did a Nungesser machine from the old Hawk 1/48 kit - and it was time to do so again.

So, onwards with construction - of the main option offered in the CSM kit.

The other decision made at this stage was to leave panels off to show that lovely interior - all panels off the starboard side and hatch cover off port. (I know it unlikely to have rigging in place with the panel off - but it's my model!!!)

Sandy

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:06:58 PM »
Actually you can see in this view (whisper it!) a fault in the CSM kit - the stripe transfers are not quite wide enough to cover the whole wing chord from LE to TE. Simple problem, but given the shade of blue this gave pause as to where I'd find a match?

Do you, like me, buy tools, paints etc thinking I'll find a use for this at some stage. Well the closing of a local Nickel n'Dime store a while back, offered a stack of Revell (Gmbh) "Email" enamels at 50p each and in this, one tin - colour 52 - proved an exact match for the CSM roundel blue. phew. The red (31) is great for the roundel red too.

I have been surprised not to see any many of this bright stripey CSM Nieuport subject appearing on club tables or websites - I wonder if the shortchanged decals might be a reason?

In the pic I've touched up the blue, but yet to do the red.

Sandy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 09:58:34 PM »
Your build is looking quite good, Sandy.  Leaving the side panel off makes for an interesting view that begs for a detailed study.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
Looking beautiful Sandy, I can well understand leaving the panel off after making such a beautiful job of the interior.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »
Your Nieuport looks Amazing! It is indeed a Lovely scheme and Aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
Thanks Guys.
Got the bit between the teeth now! Progressing nicely, just some tail rigging and light weathering  to add. (I want to keep it quite clean though, since with the panels off it'll look a bit like a museum example.)
What a cracking little kit.
On y va, avec un Hanriot s'il vous plait, CSM!

Sandy

(PS I know the pilot doesn't look like Nungesser - who looked more like Frank Luke, or Danny Kaye - but my man is just having a convalescent stroll in front of Charles' plane!)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:53:47 PM by macsporran »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 07:22:45 AM »
Yes Sandy!!!!! That is just beautiful, you've certainly got a move on here, it's all but finished and looking stunning.

Richie

Offline jamieg

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks Jamie, yes, the arrival of the CSM N23 was one of the factors that reminded me that the twin gun N17 I was contemplating for Bishop was quite inappropriate!
I have a drawerful of Humbrol enamels and while I rarely use them on aircraft for main colours, they're useful for interior details sometimes. The blue is 47 Sea Blue with a touch of 109 WWI Blue and 44 Pastel Blue added.
(Actually I sometimes spray Humbrol enamels for my car models - it works surprisingly well thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner!)
Cheers
Sandy

Humbrol enamels are my go to, but I rarely use an airbrush. Unfortunately, the health and safety nannies are making it ever more difficult to get them here in the Great White North (Canada, eh). My last supplier (Sunward) is having difficulties restocking some essential colours. Nobody in Europe/UK will ship them to me and the last time I tried to get some from the US, Canada Customs turned them back. I was contemplating using #109 for my ongoing Roden Spad and then for the CSM Nieuport XVII and XXIII. Bishop will get the latter, I believe.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 07:15:10 PM »
Very neat!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.