Author Topic: 1/72 Friedrichshafen FF.49C  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Skyhook

Re: 1/72 Friedrichshafen FF.49C
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 05:29:28 PM »
Does Finland have a digital archive of sorts, in the same way as Sweden&Norway (digitalmuseum.se /no)?

Hi! Thanks... unfortunately there´s no actual digital archives of Finnish aviation photos of the earlier days. There´s a proper digital  archive SA-kuvat, including a great amount of aviation photos, but they are exclusively from 1939-1945. Understandably the war years seem to have the priority over any other era. But there has been talk of including the pre-war years as well, but unfortunately it isn´t ready yet. But they are working on it right now, I have heard...

cheers, Skyhook

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »
I haven’t forgotten this, but I am trying to finish some older projects and play time is limited.

Skyhook’s photo of the crashed machine has made me reconsider though. The two white sticks sticking out from the broken aft section must be tubes. Wooden frame would not have plastically deformed so nicely, it would have splintered and broken clear off, wouldn’t it?  I’m considering replacing the internal frame work with tubes. The wood wouldn’t be wasted - it’s based on older Friedrichshafen and could partially be reused anyway.

Offline Skyhook

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 01:34:31 AM »

Skyhook’s photo of the crashed machine has made me reconsider though. The two white sticks sticking out from the broken aft section must be tubes. Wooden frame would not have plastically deformed so nicely, it would have splintered and broken clear off, wouldn’t it?  I’m considering replacing the internal frame work with tubes. The wood wouldn’t be wasted - it’s based on older Friedrichshafen and could partially be reused anyway.

Hi! It really could be... there seems not to be the usual splintering of a wooden spar. I have another one of the same crash...

cheers, Skyhook

]

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 07:56:03 AM »
Progress will be slow as I’m having some other builds in parallel, but I’ve done some progress.

Steering wheel was concocted from scrap wires and styrene rod. Seen also is the antenna reel which I made from suitable PE propeller bosses and a real coil of copper wire (thin but somewhat too thick for scale):

The IP was made by poling holes with a hot needle and painting. The needle hole will get a rim which simulated the instrument decently. White styrene rod was then simply put in these holes with black marks scratched with a knife to hint of details.

I could not figure out which radio was used, but I’ve assumed it was Fr m/20 - the next model was m/23 so that could also have been a possibility in 1924/25, but I doubt these machines would have been first in line to get a new radio. Anyway, I’m still unsure where to place the antenna reel - front, right, left or back?

Control wires were added, guestimate based on other models I’ve seen. There fuel tubes rubbing on the port side to the fuel tank behind the observer.

The comfy cushion for the pilot was my first attempt following the the excellent tutorial found on this site. I skipped the buttons, leaving that for 1/32 people. I’ve never been satisfied with a cushion till now, so my thanks for the guide!

The forlorn antenna reel is left to be installed, as are some radio wires.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
Wonderful job on the details !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 01:25:02 PM »
Very nice work on the cockpit...really interesting subject!  Well done.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 04:57:45 AM »
Super cockpit details. With reference to the radio and reel position, if you do not have any references to contradict your choice, I seriously doubt whether anyone else does either, so go with what you think is most likely. Most (all?) other observers are unlikely to know either!

Stephen.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
Wonderful work  and so many details, really inspiring.
Bye,Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 09:33:31 PM »
Great job on the interior.
And the belated thanks for your answer related to the steel interior structure.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 11:39:08 PM »
Your interior looks Awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 06:57:26 AM »
Thanks, guys! 

I let the radio move over a bit and put the reel right next to it. Mostly because it was the easiest thing to do and it will be seen there.
Although I like making cockpits I’m happy to finally be able to close the fuselage and move on to the even more fun bits.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2021, 12:51:09 AM »
This is incredible for 1/72, looks more like 1/48!
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »
Incredible job on this!  Just lovely...Dan

Offline Skyhook

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 06:10:01 PM »
Hi!

Actually the Finnish Air Force Museum has a sort of digital photo archive now! Here,s the link to FF section, i hope it can be opened also from outside Finland... it is actually a shared google drive folder, so i think it should open allright. If you need any info on individual photos, just let me know... 

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1Xg-zNhvtnns2CRwqUoKUGCbvq9IazmL_/1Mgpweq57h4xmZa7-l9Fq5erShAq5m_-h/1OWzvT0aOWH5_TZWatgLlg-yyrlGaQv74/1wiJt2CWrovwadmfvwqwnJqk5R9oGMR4d?usp=sharing&sort=13&direction=a

Cheers, Skyhook

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2022, 06:05:10 AM »
Apologies for not responding, gents. Wished there was a notification system - I hadn’t noticed anyone posted. Many thanks for that link, seems to be plenty of fine pictures. It works on mobile, but I can barely see small stuff so I’ll open it on the comp to savour them better.

I came back to say I haven’t abandoned it, but it’s my ”backup project”, which I fiddle with only occasionally. Strugglef a bit with the top of the cowling, with a few failed moulds. Eventually I just choose one semi-good, but since it was slightly too small I glued two thin sheets on top of it and formed them by dipping in hot water. They do look a bit dented, but that’s ok because the original does too.

The observer’s section was built up and sanded to shape instead. Coamings by milliput. The rear top cover is a single piece of sheet, scored to mark the longeron locations. The three top pieces before added:

Needs some filling and detailing, but happy I passed that hurdle. Ought to be easier from here.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:12:52 AM by torbiorn »