Author Topic: Dipping my toe in the water with a Nieuport  (Read 2031 times)

Online DaddyO

Dipping my toe in the water with a Nieuport
« on: October 01, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »
Okay after many moons without a biplane in my life I've now bought a couple of kits.
72nd probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but they are cheap enough that I could afford to buy these and see how I got on. I'll start with one of the Nieuports since if I muck it up luckily there's a spare in the box! ;D

Made a start over the weekend - boy are these tiny. Changed the control column and made a seat cushion from duro putty (although not a lot will be visible when the belts are added) and then painted everything ready to close it all up and say goodbye forever.

Using Google photos to upload so hopefully that will work okay. Like everything else it's a bit of a learning curve. I've used my usual acrylics for painting and since this is a first go and I already have them to hand.

Cheers for now
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline FAf

Re: Dipping my toe in the water with a Nieuport
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »
Hi Paul!
Nice start and images are definitely showing! It'll be interesting to see how this tiny version turns out. Excellently I bet.
/Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
Looks like you're off to an excellent start.  Nice job on the seat.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 11:38:27 PM »
That is a Terrific start! The seat cushion, control column and PE look great.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
What a wonderful start!

Your interior looks stunning.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:00:45 AM »
Many thanks gents.
Slow progress and desperately trying not to break stuff as I go along  ;D
Hopefully I'll get a bit more done over the weekend. I've already done a bit of a test with the paints I'm going to use (brushed on) followed by a coat of Klear and a scrap decal and then some stain acrylic varnish which all seemed to work okay without any nasty reactions so at least I know the painting side of things is going to work . . . (famous last words!)

Cheers for now
Paul

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 01:58:18 AM »
Nice to see a model being built in the correct scale. The advantages are obvious - they do not take up too much room and are not expensive if something does go wrong. You have made an excellent start.

Stephen.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 04:24:02 AM »
Cheers Stephen - The one true scale eh?  ;)
Reminds me very much of ye olden days when I nipped up to the hardware shop to by one of the Airfix polybagged Series 1 kits and then rushed home to build it. Well apart from the number of pieces, etched brass, and lack of flash. I remember a Harry Tate, Hannover and of course a Triplane. . . . .came over all nostalgic momentarily

Toodlepip
Paul

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
Paul,
Looks like a well guided toe you got there  ;)

Great start!

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 07:45:47 AM »
Well done so far!  You can never, ever go wrong with Nieuports IMHO.  ;)

Welcome to the forum too!

WD

Online DaddyO

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »
Paul,
Looks like a well guided toe you got there  ;)

Great start!

Bob

He, He - plenty of good advice available on here Bob. I've spent a few happy hours reading through various threads  ;)

Well done so far!  You can never, ever go wrong with Nieuports IMHO.  ;)

Welcome to the forum too!

WD

Cheers WD and thanks for the welcome
A Nieuport probably wouldn't have been my first choice of aircraft honestly, but I thought I'd have enough problems so starting with a well engineered kit and a simple strut arrangement would give me a better chance of completing it. I've got to say reading up about them I'm very taken with them now and am already looking for some alternative schemes for this ones companion (Although I may try the Tripeplane next  ;D )

One thing I have found is the liquid cements I've bought seem much thicker than I remember (I've got some Revell and Tamiya) They glue nicely, but I recall being able to use a brush with a liquid cement which was very watery and would just wick along joints without leaving tide marks of glue to be polished off. Any ideas what that might have been? (Probably banned now for H&S reasons)

Cheers
Paul

Offline RichieW

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 01:33:41 AM »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Good start on the Nieuport. It really does look tiny! I have one in 1/32 in the stash and was surprised by how little it was. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Richie

Online DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 02:03:21 AM »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Good start on the Nieuport. It really does look tiny! I have one in 1/32 in the stash and was surprised by how little it was. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Richie

Cheers Richie - appreciate the welcome
Yep it's officially classed as 'pretty small' I imagine the 32nd version is hardly going to break the display shelf either  ;D

Managed to press on with this over the last couple of days so I'll post some pics later. Gradually getting to grips with the size of it . . . .(famous last words!)

Paul

Online DaddyO

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »
Okay here's where we are at after a busy weekends work (many hours of which were spent searching and then attempting to fit teeny brass bits onto the gun)  :-[

First up a test wing since I wanted to make sure everything was compatable paint-wise. Tamiya fine grey U/c followed by Vallejo acrylics brushed on. Then a coat of Klear and a test decal and finally a coat of Rowney matt acrylic varnish. Everything applied with a brush. Results can be seen on the left hand wing panel (Incidentally this was from an old kit that I'd got stashed at the back of the loft. Revell DVII I think. Tried selling it a couple of times at shows in the bargain bin, but no luck - now proving very useful)  :D

Only thing I wasn't happy with initially was the silver which was a bit 'sparkly' for my taste so I bought some Vallejo air silver paint which was much finer. A happy time mixing up a suitable 'silver dope' shade (You know how it goes first it's too silver, then too grey then too dark)  ::) Eventually settled on one's on the right wing tip and mixed a batch up ready for the model.

Mounted the major components onto cocktail sticks after filling and sanding and sprayed them with undercoat from a rattle can and then some extra sanding on the bits I'd missed and another coat saw them ready to be painted. before that I need to drill some holes for the rigging though and when I recieved the micro drills I nearly wet myself so I'm going with the smallest drill bit I can happily manage (.3mm?)

I also wedged the engine into the modified cowl (very tight fit) and finished this off with a bit of scubbing and a few washes.

That's all for the moment. Waiting for the fishing line to appear, but in the meantime it's on with the painting

Cheers
Paul

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 01:11:46 AM »
Excellent progress!! I like the cowling and engine. Looking Terrific.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler