Author Topic: "Jig"?  (Read 750 times)

Offline NavyDoc

"Jig"?
« on: October 01, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Hello Folks, new to this site just joined, looks to be a good one. I'm very much into WWI aircraft  I've been away from modeling about 50 years, recently have come back. The changes are incredible. I have a pretty good stash and some nice equipment. My recent model purchase is the Gaspatch Salmson 2A2 aircraft. It's a beautiful kit with several aftermarket bits. There's also a "jig". What is the jig used for? Is it to help when gluing and painting? Thank you. Hope everyone is doing well.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: "Jig"?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »
Hi NavyDoc,
Welcome to the forum.

The jig is used for aligning the wings/struts, correcting wing stagger, fuselage alignment and reducing the amount of handling of the model during the rigging process.

Good luck!!

Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:09:10 PM »
Hi NavyDoc,

Here are a couple of examples. Some may not be for sale anymore, but the LEGO one can be purchased worldwide  ;)

Have fun here!

Willem

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
Some more...

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:22:56 PM »
I think NavyDoc is asking about the included jig in the GasPatch kit of the Salmson.
It is made from laser cut cardboard and a printed paper sheet for placement for the jig parts.

NavyDoc, I have not yet build the kit, but I have it in my stash. The usage of the rig is mentioned in the manual and for wing mounting.
I would not use it for the painting of the model, or be careful at least, because due to the laser cut the edges are sharp and can scratch the paint.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
Ah, my mistake, sorry.

Willem