Author Topic: Argus AsIII airpump easy detail (WNW Hannover)  (Read 2829 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Argus AsIII airpump easy detail (WNW Hannover)
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:48:04 AM »
Anyone building the lovely Hannover from WNW those contemplating a cowl off job to show all that pipework off. Heres an easy fix for the missing airpump if you have a Mecedes Engine sprue laid about. Part E5 is pretty much all you need. Where does it go you ask? Front left side of the casing you'll see the boss on the casing.

Happy new year all ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Argus AsIII airpump easy detail (WNW Hannover)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
thanks for the heads up. hopefully mine will be here soon. mine has been "held for clearance" by u.s. customs since 5:09am dec. 12th. starting to tick me off to be honest. how long does it take to realize it a model kit and send it on its way. ho hum

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »
thanks for the heads up. hopefully mine will be here soon. mine has been "held for clearance" by u.s. customs since 5:09am dec. 12th. starting to tick me off to be honest. how long does it take to realize it a model kit and send it on its way. ho hum
Suspicious parcel from a known terrorist sympathetic nation... what do you expect?

Seriously though It could be worth checking with your local courier that it isnt sitting there because of some system error no one can be bothered to fix.

My Hannie sat on the system in NZ forwarded for despatch or some similar quote for ages then miraculously appeard at customs UK  I keep an eye on every shipment now as our local courier has a habit of letting things sit.... and sirt... and sit.

Hope you get it soon its a beaut.

Keith

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
i'm gonna check with custom tommorow, i figiured let them have their christmas and new year holiday then when they get back to work, i gave em a day to get back in swing ,so tomm i make a phone call asking why my x-mas gift has sat there for 2 weeks plus. its not like it is radioactive,contains anthrax or even electronic. its a freaking plastic airplane model kit. actually kits cuz theres a tripehound with it. but i'm more excited about the hannover.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
well i got my hannover today, i must admit i'm pretty perplexed by the lozenge.i noticed when i got my dvii fokkers that they changed the lozenge colors. i assume in an attempt to give them a more faded/worn look. still not great over all but its an honest attempt to improve on the super saturated/brite loz that was in the earlier kits. next of all of the 2 sheets one is a shade lighter, which i suppose means each sheet is from a diff lot. which i can forgive after its all together and i put a bit of grime on her. but i'm really confused about the 8 parts for the tail region which are not only darker but the colors are different in tone. i mean it looks funny, bottom line. i guess they give you the lozenge to use while making patterns for the kit cuz i just dont think they are usable. damn shame cuz now i have to order and pay for decent looking stuff then go at it the old fashioned way cutting it out and laying it down in strips then hand cutting rib tapes and laying each one down individually. the whole point of the cookie cutter stuff was to save us time. i wouldve rather if they just said from the get go, "we suck at loz" and cut the price of the kit so it doesnt hurt so much when you have to buy some am loz. they shouldve saved themselves the money and just included a paper pattern we could use to cut out standard am loz. hopefully pheon saves the day.disappointed 

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
Some of the decals for the lower stabiliser on the tail are meant to represent hand painted lozenge. I think that is 235/236 & 233/234. Curious they didn't also provide the hand painted lozenge for the top wing centre section as well. Maybe they ran out space on the decal sheets?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Different colours on each sheet? Hmm. Just wondering if you have missed that theres an lozenge option to suit Profile A that uses both 4 & 5 colour lozenge and theres a noticeable difference between the two.

I echo what James has said in regards to the *hand painted* areas, it kind of malkes this null and void having to ty to replicate the colours on the upper wing centre section, I'll be masking mine I think, Another issue is the rear fuselage hand painted area will leve a ridge if overspryed unless some really delicate sanding is undertaken.

All that said the kit is gorgeous though ;D

Keith

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
Mine's waiting at the local PO, can't wait to rip it open and see what all the fuss is about  :D

Offline falcon04

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Anyone building the lovely Hannover from WNW those contemplating a cowl off job to show all that pipework off. Heres an easy fix for the missing airpump if you have a Mecedes Engine sprue laid about. Part E5 is pretty much all you need. Where does it go you ask? Front left side of the casing you'll see the boss on the casing.

Happy new year all ;)

Keith

Anyone have a clear pic showing how this pump should be mounted ?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:39:43 AM »
Just cracked open my Hannover, great looking kit(!!!), have to agree with Albatross1234 that some of the tail lozenge pieces don't make sense to me, they are different colors completely than either of the lozenge patterns...

EDIT: just re-read Jamo's explanation, makes sense. I guess this explains the color key whose underside colors don't match the lozenge. Wondering where they came up with this though... (undercolor handpainted lozenge colors, that is...)

And oops, back to the regularly scheduled topic of argus airpump detail!!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:50:25 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:26:52 AM »
Falcon front left side on the case just in front of the cylinder, if you check the Instruction manual on page 9 you can see it quite clearly on both pics there & on page 8 on the wrecke engine in the bottom left corner of the pic. Thanks to WNW theres a spot on the casing moulding exactly where it needs to go. (Incidentally this air pump is VERY visible through the hole in the upper nose cowl.)

Plus the air pipe from it runs just below the water jacket lower level on that side of the cylinders (Left)

If you havent the instructions its a simple Download from WNW's website or check out the archive pics there for this kitset for a nice big clear side view

Keith

Offline falcon04

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 05:00:41 AM »
Thanks - very helpful.

Found this on Britmodeller . Other pics in thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234926875

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
after reading the jamo explanation it makes a little more sense. dont see why they named them the same as lozenge colors. dull lilac looks like light gull grey to me on the sheet. i also get that the vertical tail piece were hand painted but i guess i assumed the horizontals would be fabric covered. i did however notice imediately that there was both 4 color and 5 color on the upper wing sheet, which made me scratch my head til i looked at the profiles closer. no what i was saying is that the 5 color on one page is a hair lighter than the 5 color on the other page. like i said above this slight problem isnt really a gripe for me. more that the lozenge in general is very disappointing.so was the new stuff on the dvii kits i just got(oaw and fokker) then theres my pfalz dxii and diiia,my roland dvii which adds up to me buying alot of am lozenge. i had intended to go with all db decals. i only have his 4 color in 1/32 though. which was intended for the avis ev and roland dvi. i need 5 color for at least 5 kits, not cheap. i actually did the prototype for the lvg since it had green/mauve flying surfaces.the wnw lozenge looks that bad to me.. if you add in my roden ssw diii theres another set of 5 color i will need. if you add it up am i really being that whiny? i have lots of db 1/48 stuff i kinda wanted all my newer builds to have the same excellent realistic looking fabric coverings.perhaps jamo will indulge us with a 5 color comparison version 2.0 including the hgw,as well as the wood and wire(nordland)stuff. side by side with the new wnw stuff.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
I will have a go at that tomorrow
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
I am as guilty as anyone, but maybe we ought to break out the discussion of the relative faults and merits of WNW lozenge to a new thread? Just thinking in terms of folks coming along later interested in detailing their Argus engine, only to fall down the lozenge rabbit-hole.