Author Topic: 1/72 Short Bipane No 2  (Read 5948 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: 1/72 Short Bipane No 2
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »
Great progress, Steve -

The wings and engine look very good

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline IanB

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:39 AM »
This is coming along very nicely Stephen. I'm impressed by the engine - I know how tricky they are in this scale!
As for the order of assembly, I don't think I can give any advice that you don't already know!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2021, 06:45:26 AM »
Evening All

Thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left those very kind comments: I really appreciate them all.

Skyhook: I too have been pondering an early DFW B type as a project. If I were to make that wing I would need to be careful because the curvature of the wing plan would mean that the aerofoil section could be difficult to achieve using my method. I am not sure how much the plan curve would be a problem because I have not investigated it seriously, but I did make an HB W13 which also has slightly swept back wings and I got over that by making the wing in two halves and joining them at the centre. It may be a solution for the DFW - but as stated I have not looked into this properly - yet!

Well the best laid plans of mice and men..... Sometimes life offers distractions which we do not want or would prefer to come in an orderly, rather than disorderly manner, but then we rarely have a choice in such matters. Consequently I have either been unable to do very much or simply not had the energy until recently, and then I hit one or two tricky problems which have caused further delay. But to the model...

The first thing to do was to attach the top wing. Given that I do not have proper drawings for this one I used the wonderful model in the Science Museum and contemporary photographs to guesstimate the gap between the wings: it worked out at close to 6 feet (1.9m). I cut 2 pairs of struts and cemented these to the underside of the top wing, one bay inwards from the wing tip. I used Revell Contacta for this. When the cement was partially set I inverted the wing and dropped the lower ends of the struts into the holes in the lower wing into which I had placed drops of cement. I rapidly assembled a jig to hold everything steady until all of the cement had set:

Note how my modelling tray is being used for the purpose for which it was designed, and the range of expensive and sophisticated tools on display!

With the 4 struts in place I could insert two pairs of struts on either side to help stabilize and strengthen the wing structure:

The inner pairs of struts have been left off to allow me access to the centre section where the engine and seat will be inserted at the appropriate times. Now I could add the radiator to the centre section: this extended the full space between the wings on the Short No 2 biplane. This was followed by the engine and flywheel (at the rear), and a return water pipe from the bottom of the radiator to the engine. I made the pipe from 20 thou rod:

To stabilize and strengthen the structure I added the fin between the rear of the booms:

With the struts, radiator and fin in place the model is robust and can be easily handled, turned or rested on the skids or top wing as necessary.

The drive shafts for the propellors were mounted between the rear struts of wing bay 2. I made these using 30 thou rod for the drive shafts, 25 thou rod for the supports and the wheels were cut and shaped from pieces of 40 x 125 thou strip:

It was at this point that I went on a fool's errand. I thought that the plastic structure might not be strong enough to hold the large propellors, so I tried to make up a structure using brass rod. Having cut the rod I found that everything was so small I would have had a major problem keeping it all aligned and inserting the tip of the soldering iron between all of the stabilizing pins. I gave up in exasperation, only to discover that, when I had assembled the plastic structure and allowed it to set it was more robust than I had originally thought. The drive shafts have been duly inserted between the wings:

I will put in the (motorcycle?) drive chains next - these will be made from waxed black cotton thread. The waxing stops the thread absorbing moisture and slackening over time, but more of that next time.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:53:14 AM by lone modeller »

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2021, 08:34:36 AM »
Coming together nicely! I too would try soldering (without the wheel, so the pieces can lie flat and clenched to the bed), but it if it’s robust enough the plastic certainly looks the part. You have captured the fragile look of the these old kites.

How will you make the chains? I did a short chain for the wing warping control on a..  was it a Fokker maybe? I tried simulating the appearance of a chain by making knots, soaking a bit with PVA and squeeze for a flatter look - but with moderate success.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 01:03:05 PM »
Stephen ,

It has been awhile since I last drop in on viewing your build . You have made excellent progress with getting the wing mounted ! Really loving how this is coming together !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »
You are really fast Stephen, great progress! That really looks like an aeroplane, what you are creating in your high-sophisticated jigs 8)
Very interesting, that is shows many features of the Wright Flyer. On my Flyer kit the chains was done as PE.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »
Logical build sequence, Stephen- first make a strong base structure onto which additional pieces are added.  You accomplish a lot with basic tools and techniques.
If I were ever incarcerated, this is how I would build models.   ;D

Online RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 09:56:50 PM »
As always I Love your Jigs! The aircraft is looking great. The prop mounts and structure are awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 03:39:33 AM »
Great work, Steve -

Really quick progress now

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
Nice progress, Stephen!  I really like the shot of the field in the beginning too!

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
This is fascinating to watch as always, Stephen. From curiosity about "I wonder what this is?" to "Come on, man, get it done!!" in just a few build posts!

As an aside does anyone else suddenly have an urge to get to the Isle of Sheppey with some cleaning materials to give the memorial plaque some TLC?
Zac in NZ

Online Borsos

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2021, 07:09:11 PM »
Another great scratch build project, Stephen. Really lovely!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2021, 06:33:50 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to those who dropped by and left comments - as ever they have been much appreciated.

I have been incredibly slow with this build recently as I have been distracted by other things in life, including having a bathroom revamped. That has sapped a lot of time and energy but is at last nearing completion. In addition some of the model has proved more tricky than anticipated so a combination of tiredness and awkwardness has hindered constuction.

I used black cotton thread which I waxed from a candle to stop the thread from absorbing moisture and slackening later. The thread was wound around the small "wheels" on the drive shafts between the wings and the drive shaft at the rear of the engine. I secured the ends with superglue. The right side was just a little slack when fitted but that was corrected easily when I inserted the chain guides:

Apologies for the second photo but I could not quite get the image in focus. My model differs here form the Science Museum model because the latter does not have the chain guides: why this is so I am not sure because all of the contemporary photographs of the aircraft clearly show them to be present. In addition the Wright Flyers (upon which the Short design was based), also had these guides. A mystery indeed.

The front elevator was constructed by putting in the numerous struts:

The control rod and supports under the elevator was made from strip and rod:

This was attached to the underside of the elevator and the struts and mechanism painted:

Further progress is likely to be hampered because I have to visit a family member next week - more time lost! However further updates will follow when I have made more progress.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2021, 06:42:22 AM »
Very nice progress! The "chains" looks good.

I have been distracted by other things in life, including having a bathroom revamped. That has sapped a lot of time and energy but is at last nearing completion.
As long as you don't start sticking ceramic tiles on the wing (and turn it into a Space Shuttle) everything is ok! ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »
Nice progress there Stephen. The front elevator looks the part!
Family comes first though, even if they don't appreciate it!

Ian