Author Topic: 1/72 Short Bipane No 2  (Read 5933 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/72 Short Bipane No 2
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 02:51:34 AM »
More outstanding work Stephen. Clever use for a knitting Needle!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 06:47:12 AM »
Lovely update Stephen, you are a truly industrious man! Your wing making method is very tempting and I love the use of a knitting needle for a fuel tank. Without distractions this will be finished in no time! ;)

Richie

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
Lovely start to this one Stephen, sorry I'm late but my phone died!

8.9 litres and only 62HP??? How is it possible to create so little power from such a huge capacity?
How engine technology has improved!

Ian

Offline Skyhook

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 05:27:47 AM »
This is becoming more and more interesting... your method of making the wings I must try one day!

cheers, Skyhook

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 05:41:49 AM »
Nice one. I’m curious to see how you handle getting all the parts together. Feels like whatever is chosen to be added first, there’s something else that ought to go before it.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 03:38:07 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to all who have dropped by and left comments - they are greatly appreciated.

Ian: I completely agree that engine technology has improved dramatically - indeed one of the major problems that early aviators had was finding power plants with high enough power weight ratios. That combined with reliability, held back development for many years - wartime changes notwithstanding.

Torbiorn: I have a feeling that you could well be right. However as that rule applies to most scratch built models, I think that I will find a way around most of the problems!

@Arpie on Airfix Tribute Forum has posted some super photographs of the scale model of this machine which is in the Science museum:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/1-72-short-biplane-no-2-t55960.html

If you are interested they really are the bees knees - so much detail, much of which I was guessing about but now are clear. I am not sure that my model will be anywhere near as good, but I will try. They show the aircraft as it was for the initial flights with the Vivani engine.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 02:07:44 AM »
Nice progress Stephen.  The model at the Science Museum definitely shows some Wright Bros DNA.  Those 'ailerons' look strange sticking out at weird angles.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 04:45:06 AM »
Evening All,

This is taking longer than I had anticipated, in part because I do not like painting. (There is no decorating on this model so I am relieved of trying to find suitable transfers or having to print my own). However I have at last painted the flying surfaces a mix of Revell white with a small dash of beige (314) to take the brightness out of the white. The wooden skids are Revell SM 382 enamel. I also painted the fuel and oil tanks in Humbrol copper and the radiator block matt black:

Prior to painting I epoxied the booms to both wings. These are florist's wire and were held in place by my usual sophisticated and expensive jigs while the epoxy set:

With the skids and wings painted I could cement the former to the lower wing and add the cross strut at the front of the skids:

Now I could start on the "cockpit" and add extra details to the engine. Because I have excellent photos of the model in the Science Museum in London, I have been able to make reasonable representations of the seat and Vivani engine:

I am now pondering the next stage(s) in the build sequence, because the engine, seat, radiator, oil and fuel tanks will all be a bit fragile and in the case of the oil and fuel tanks, potentially difficult to mount. I may have to use some modellers licence with those parts just to be able to put them in their correct positions and keep them there. I also wish to avoid knocking things off at a later stage of assembly and rigging, so I am working through different possibilities. Hopefully I will be able to post results before too long.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 03:32:20 PM »
Wow Stephen, the wings looks nice and the engine is sooo cute  :-*

Cheers,
Frank

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 06:35:12 PM »
Looking nice and symmetric.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »
This is all looking great already Stephen!

I especially like the wings. You make it look so easy!

Willem

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 01:00:12 AM »
Nice progress.  The wings really look good.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 02:32:01 AM »
The wings, skids, and engine look Awesome Stephen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 10:00:07 PM »
More super work Stephen, scratch building an engine in 1/72 must be a fiddly business. It looks great though and your wings are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing how you solve the riddle of the best build sequence. I have my notepad to hand!

Richie

Offline Skyhook

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 05:32:26 PM »
hi!

Looks very good... the wing especially looks extremely convincing. I might try your method over my own soon, as I have been thinking about doing an early DFW B-type (the one with the "banana" wings). Hard to do with my usual method of balsa core under a scored plastic sheet.

cheers, Skyhook