Author Topic: Something Completely Different  (Read 1806 times)

Offline lone modeller

Something Completely Different
« on: September 10, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »
Evening All,

Serious aviation modellers know that the only real aircraft are pushers so when I came across the Oertz W6 Flugschoner (Flying Schoner), courtesy Marklo in a GB on Britmodeller I had to thank him for the introduction. The Oertz W6 was a double biplane with two pusher engines, so it must rank as a very real aeroplane indeed! The only problem with Mark's model was that it was in the wrong scale (1/48), so someone had to correct the error and as nobody else came forward I thought that I would have a try for a recent Flying Boats GB on another site. This model is in God's Own Scale and has a wingspan of approximately 12 inches (30 cm). This is a real steampunkt type of aeroplane and I was therefore immediately attracted by it.

Dr.Ing. Max Oertz studied nautical design at the Royal Institute of Technology, Charlottenburg, Berlin and worked in Helsinki and St Petersburg before returning to Germany in 1895. He built the first yacht in aluminium for a banker and founded a company to build more yachts, including one for the Kaiser. Oertz was interested in aviation and designed a gondola which could be lowered from Zeppelins and allow the Zeppelin to remain unseen above the clouds while the observer could be beneath the clouds and have a good all round view.

In 1909 he built his first aeroplane, and in 1911 a second one. He then combined his skill in designing yachts with his interest in aircraft to start building flying boats. Two machines were built before 1914 and more were built for the German Navy during the war. In 1917 he sold his aviation interests to Hansa-Brandenburg: post war he continued designing ships and other marine craft. He died in 1927.

Oertz submitted a number of flying boat designs to the German Navy in 1914, of which the W6 was one. It was known as the Flugschoner, (Flying Schooner), and was ordered in August 1914. It was distinguished by its tandem biplane wing design which was chosen to provide a large wing area within a reasonable span to increase the range. It had a crew of three and was powered by 2 x 260 hp Maybach Mb. IV engines mounted in the hull driving pusher propellors via shafts with bevel gears.

Although construction was completed in the summer of 1916 delays in the supply of the engines meant that the machine was not sent to the navy until July 1917. When it was delivered for trials it did not have wing tip floats, and ailerons on the upper front wings only. Trials showed that floats were advisable in the choppy waters of the North Sea and that the aileron control was inadequate, so a second pair were mounted between the rear wings. The hull had a very broad beam which made the craft stable in the water, and the tail surfaces were mounted on booms high above the hull. The aircraft took off and landed well but overall performance was sluggish, even though the range was greater than had been calculated. It was not considered worth while proceeding with the design as it would have proved vulnerable to fighter attack and so the machine was dismantled after the tests had been completed.

[

Sadly there is no kit of this aircraft so I had to cobble it together from wood, plastic sheet, strip and rod, and brass rod. It is rigged with rolled copper wire and the markings are from Arctic Decals. There is a build log in the scratch builds section of this site.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:29:50 AM by lone modeller »

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: Something Completely Different
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 04:58:49 AM »
Very different and very nice !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 05:03:48 AM »
Crazy looking thing. The honorary Dr Oertz must have been a very interesting man. I have a feeling he had fun at work.

Congrats on a beautiful model of a real oddball of a plane.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »
Haha, I completely agree with the above. A brilliant model of a crazy but strangely appealing flying boat.

I feel privileged to have see this under construction. I very much hope to see it in the flesh in the near future.

Richie

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
Excellent model
and a subject that you do not see often around, so it is a showstopper and a delightful masterpiece.
er me

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
You always surprise us with your models, Stephen. But this time you have outdone yourself. What an oddity!!!! Congratulations and thank you for sharing this.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 08:29:02 PM »
This plane alone is evidence enough that LSD was in use long before the 1970ies…
A perfect scratch build like always, Stephen!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 12:22:36 AM »
Stephen -

Most of your aircraft are different, but this one really is unusual!

Now I see it completed it actually was not a bad looking areoplane.   You really have done yourself proud and excelled yourself with this latest build.   Absolute sterling workmanship all round and very nicely presented on your aircraft's trolley and display base.

Looking forward to your next (unique) project

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 02:35:20 AM »
Yet another spectacular build of a Highly Unusual subject! Loved watching your processes Stephen. Excellent results!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 03:15:24 AM »
Congrats Stephen. Nice model of a fascinating subject. I can't help thinking the plan was to jettison the rear set of wings after take off, like the Disco Volante boat in the James Bond Thunderball film!
Almost makes the UWD look sensible!
Sandy

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 03:28:43 AM »
What a lovely complex interesting and amazing build! Well done! I really enjoyed your build log too, Stephen! Regards, Marc.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 04:33:18 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks for the very kind comments. Yes it is most unusual which is why it appealed to me so much. I am not sure that I will be able to find anything quite so odd for a long time to come - but I will keep on looking!!

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
Wonder how many water skiers it could pull?

Great work, Stephen.  We can count on you to bring us the weird ones.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
So glad I got to see this.  Wonderfully archaic and a fascinating story too.  It must have been quite a sight when it was in the air.
Congratulations on such a fine result too.  A great addition to your pusher collection.   :)

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 03:48:56 AM »
Another unusual beauty from your bench Stephen. I must admit, I would far rather model it than try to fly it, it looks extremely unstable!

Ian