Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Airco DH2  (Read 2390 times)

Offline DaveB

1/32 Roden Airco DH2
« on: September 07, 2021, 02:06:00 AM »
Dear all,

Completed today, my take on Roden's DH2 kit.   

Built mostly OOB with some detailing to cockpit, which included amongst other things:

Barracuda resin wicker seat;
3D decal seat harness;
carving away the large ejector pin marks and alse removing the molded internal wire bracing;
addional pipe work missing from fuel pump;
rudder bar foot straps and cables

Also added the missing pulleys for control cables and posed control surfaces.  I used the spare decal in the set for creating the illusion of the cockcade on the top wing when viewed from the underside.

Being a brush painter, using pre shading techniques do not work so well so I use post shading for highlighting the internal structure.   Lone Modeller (Stephen) very kindly lent me (many thanks, mate!) the Datafile profile for this aircraft which was invaluable reference during the build.   I was also able to use the internal structure diagrams to help me draw out the various spars and ribs on the wings.   To try and achieve a more realistic look to the structure shading, I drew out with pencil and ruler on the white base coated wings all the spars and ribs structure.   I could then paint over (lightly) the main top coat.  Once this had dried, I could paint over the show through pencil lines with a darker shade of the beige (for CDL) then a lighter shade once dry.   This has hopefully created the highlighting/shading of all the structure?  Certainly the best I can do with a brush anyway ...........

Weathered (lightly) using artist oil paint and pastels.   

Rigged with Oschi fine elastic thread (for engine ignition leads); Oschi standard thread for control cables and tail boom rigging; Pryme flat elastic thread (to simulate RAF aerodynamic wires) and to add some structural strength to the tail booms, smoke coloured 'invisible' mending thread.  A good rigging diagram is a must for this kit - I used the WNW DH2 rigging guide from thier instructions from this kit.

On the whole, I thought this a very decent kit from Roden.  The only fiddly bit being attaching the tailplane to the tail booms.   I ended up drilling and pinning with wire to get a good joint in the end. 

Completed markings of DH2 6015, flown by CO of No. 32 squadron, RFC, Major Lionel W.B. Rees, France, Treizennes, July  1916.

img]https://i.imgur.com/pQ7dNgm.jpg[/img]

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/32 Roden Airco DH2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 02:24:39 AM »
I Never cease to be Amazed at the quality of your work Dave! If you had not mentioned the "Brush Painting" No One would know! The see through effect looks spot on.  The details and rigging are superb!! Simply Stunning work all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:33:34 AM »
I just love your fabric effects, Dave! What a beautiful model! Well done!

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 06:26:17 AM »
Very nice D.H.2, an yes, impressive brush paint job!
And yes, that Windsock Datafile is very nice and detailed, I used it for my D.H.2 Stripdown. One day I want to build it again as normal, painted model. Like this one.

The first picture is not displayed, because the open bracket on the beginning of that line is missing. Ans that is a nice one, I copied the link into the browser to view it.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
    VERY nicely done Dave, you've done a marvelous job on a difficult Kit. Your CDL looks great and those underside "shadow" roundels are extremely well done. Beautiful!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 07:04:52 AM »
WOW Dave! I saw this under construction but seeing it completed takes it to a completely different level. That is a superb model with excellent fabric effects and wonderful detail. I know that I am a sucker for pushers but anyone who does not like this model sucks!

Congratulations on another gold standard winner.

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
Gentleman,

Thank you for all your lovely comments which are much appreciated.   I admit that I am really pleased how this one has come out especially as I was trying out some new techniques.

Frank - very well spotted, mate!

Picture attached

Regards

Dave

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 08:15:27 PM »
Great results on this non-WNW model, so rarely seen completed! One to be proud of.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 08:59:29 PM »
Lovely model, Dave. It's all beautifully done but I especially like the perfectly realised doubled flying wires. Cracker.
Sandy

Offline DaveB

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 02:11:21 AM »
Thank you kindly, Prez/Sandy

Regards

Dave

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 02:37:13 AM »
Your depiction of the internal structures came off nicely - well, better than nicely - superbly.  The light weathering looks very good.
Well done!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 05:16:04 AM »
Superb hairy stick finish, Dave.
Excellent!

Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »
Superb work as always Dave, your painting skills are extraordinary! The translucent effects are completely convincing as is the lovely subtle weathering. I hope to see this in the flesh one day, it's breathtaking!

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »
Cheers, Kensar, Bob and Richie -

Appreciated!

Regards

Dave

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
What a beautiful model Dave, I would have loved to see the build log of this one.

And brush-painted? Wow!!

Willem