Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4
« on: September 03, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
A kit that had been on my birthday pressie radar for a while is this oldie from Airfix, i finally got to unwrap one last month. Spurred on by Brads rather excellent looking build and while building up the courage to fit the top wing on the S.E.5a i decided to make a start on it. I won't be making as many changes as Brad but i do love building interior framework so here's where i'm at so far...

Here's the box and sprue shots

Interior detail is sparse to say the least, some quite nice detail on the outer surfaces though

ejector pin marks on the flying surfaces are a bit annoying and will need some careful removal

First job was to remove the ejector pin marks and seat mount points from the interior. Then i could set about knocking up some framework which is based on the interior from the 1/48 roden kit. There's a couple of small things to add but it's pretty much done

I added some ledges for the floor to sit on and they should help with keeping it located during final fitment. Also added a small rear bulkhead and some 'axles' which go through the fuselage for the elevator control horn to fix on to, i'm going to have to make the horn as there isn't one in the kit.

The kit seat on the right is a bit oversize so i'll use a spare roden seat i have which is a better looking mold and size, i also have a spare IP which seems to be a near perfect fit so i can use that. Thought i'd do the floor in one piece from .75mm evergreen, i just need to make a couple of bulkheads and furnish the floor with some control sticks and pedals.

Took a bit of time pondering on how best to fit the front seat when i stumbled upon a seat frame in my spares stash for a Camel. Turns out it was pretty much a perfect fit for both the seat and the width of the fuselage. I've opted to fix it to the floor rather than the fuselage side.

It looks a little low like this

but with a figure in the seat the height is in the right ball park so i'm calling that bit sorted, the fuselage halves also still meet in all the right places. You can see the .5mm rod sticking through the fuselage for the elevator control

A few more bits to add then it should be ready for primer

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Airfix 1/72 Airco DH4
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Nostalgia!

I did this one back in the 80's, with brush paint, crumpled decals and no refererences. I remember I was very proud of the result. Sadley, it didn't survive the many moves and wanderings.

I like the enhancements you did on the interior, and I will follow this build closely!

Will you be doing a special colour-scheme?

Willem

Online FAf

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 04:55:35 PM »
Good work on the interior! Looks very promising!

I'm guessing that the elevator control rod from the observers pit is the same kind of solution that the Brisfit and my current FK8 had. I find it very fascinating that the observer had a lever to control the elevation, but that he was supposed to control the rudder by simply grabbing the rudder cables running through his pit - at least that was the idea in the FK8.

/Fredrik

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Nostalgia!

I did this one back in the 80's, with brush paint, crumpled decals and no refererences. I remember I was very proud of the result. Sadley, it didn't survive the many moves and wanderings.

I like the enhancements you did on the interior, and I will follow this build closely!

Will you be doing a special colour-scheme?

Willem
thanks for the comment (my names Dave BTW  ;)), i've got no plans for a special colour scheme, it'll be going grey/green

Good work on the interior! Looks very promising!

I'm guessing that the elevator control rod from the observers pit is the same kind of solution that the Brisfit and my current FK8 had. I find it very fascinating that the observer had a lever to control the elevation, but that he was supposed to control the rudder by simply grabbing the rudder cables running through his pit - at least that was the idea in the FK8.

/Fredrik
thanks for the comment, as far as i can make out from photos i've looked at the DH4 had proper controls for the observer with rudder pedals and a control stick and even a throttle control.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
I don't know where I got that from...

Sorry Dave  :-[

Willem

Online FAf

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »
thanks for the comment, as far as i can make out from photos i've looked at the DH4 had proper controls for the observer with rudder pedals and a control stick and even a throttle control.

Pure luxury! 😁

Offline William Adair

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »
I dreamed of owning this kit as a kid, but it never seemed to reach the shops round here.  Really nice to see it come together now   ;)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 01:16:05 AM »
That is one of Airfix's classic kits. I remember building this when it was released and making a conversion to a DH 9 based on an Airfix Magazine article. The extra details that you are adding are super.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
Looking outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 03:22:46 AM »
Dave,

So cool!  Nice to see one of the moldy oldies being done.  I recall having a Dickens of a time with those struts, even when I got older.  It'll be fun watching your build!  Thanks for sharing.

Stuart

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 03:16:27 AM »
I like the detail you added to the side walls !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
Nice work Dave, i'll race you to the finish :P (I am guessing you'll win, my build has become glacially slow, sadly).

I like what you've done in the cockpit. This isn't a bad kit, all said and done, especially dimensionally. Yep there's a little bit of work to refine the details but the kit provides a solid start point to build upon.

Looking forward to seeing more!

BC

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 05:45:43 AM »
I love seeing these old kits getting treated with the reverence modellers like you give them. Following with great interest.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
I love seeing these old kits getting treated with the reverence modellers like you give them. Following with great interest.

Richie
Hear hear. I love building old kits (with some exceptions) and it's wonderful to see a favourite type like the DH.4 get this attention.
Zac in NZ

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
many thanks to all for your comments and for following me on this build, tis very much appreciated

it's highly possible i've gone too far with the interior on this one, but hey, the fun is in the doing  ;D

a rudder cable fell off while taking the pics...shoddy workmanship  :o

and it seems the floor has taken a slight warp but it should sort itself out once i glue it in place