Author Topic: SSW D-III by Marek and repainted by Fitter 1/33rd Scale  (Read 4760 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

SSW D-III by Marek and repainted by Fitter 1/33rd Scale
« on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:33 AM »
All,
I couldn't help but print out another WWI subject...one of my favorites...so this is the one I'll be starting soon.  I am off to visit my dear Mother in Murderapolis for a week so there will be no progress, but I just wanted to put a bookmark here in the Paper Models area.

Watch this spot!

Dan

Offline Radarman

Re: SSW D-III by Marek and repainted by Fitter 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:07:23 PM »
Dan,
This should be a great one to watch come together. Have a safe trip and I'll be standing by for your updates.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
I am really looking forward to this one Dan. Having built a plastic version I am curious to see how great this aircraft looks in Paper!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 03:15:08 AM »
Looking forward to this one , even though the markings are a bit of a let down , but I'll be alright !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »
Sorry Alexis!  Not my favorite either.  I may plan on trying to figure out how to digitally "re-paint" these models some day.  Or...just go ahead and airbrush them like a good ol' plastic model. 

Any suggestions???!!!

Just got back from my visit so will be posting a bit pretty soon.  Thanks to you all for the interest.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 02:22:01 PM »
Hello All!

I did the top wing tonight.  It had a folded wide main spar that actually had a slight slant built in to provide a little airfoil shape.  You can see the main parts and then the folded spar along with the inside of the top wing where I embossed a bit to try and make the rib tapes 3D.  One shot you can just see the effect through the black crosses.  Subtle, but that's ok.  It's pretty darn busy in all that lozenge.  The end result actually has a shape to it and looks nice.  I've never done a wing like this so I thought it would just look flat.  So, I'm pleased.  ;D

More soon...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 03:53:56 AM »
I'm really not sure on what markings Dan , How well does the paint take to the paper . Don't give it a warp effect does it ?

Top wing looks good so far  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »
Hi Alexis,

I have just treated paper models like plastic.  Prime and paint and with the airbrush, have had no issues.  Here's a lousy example (sorry...my camera is being charged).
So Maybe I'll modify it or I can always make another... ;D

Maybe some more tonight,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 01:12:21 AM »
Dan, is that a paper Fi-167?  That's really cool!  Is that the one you painted by airbrush?  What type of paint did you use?  Thinners?  This is an interesting topic, even if it strays from your lovely SSW D-111 build. ;)  Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob 

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 04:26:20 AM »
Yup, Bob.  It is a Marek design.  Cool model and a head-turner at the IPMS tables mixed in with the Messerschmitts, Focke-Wulfs and Mustangs.  ;D

I just used Tamyia acrylics.  I thin with isopropanol.  I even used typical decals.  No buckling paper etc.  I WILL finish my Dornier Arrow on my channel...things have just been busy and so many other cool projects came up.  I'll be painting that one.

I'll be building the lower wings and tails later today on the SSW (I hope).

More soon,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 12:28:43 AM »
Thanks Dan!  Did you do any masking?  If so, what kind?  As you know, the two-edged sword of paper kits is that while you don't have to paint and decal them, you are often very limited in paint schemes.  Your painting success opens up all kind of options!  Thanks for sharing the details.  Easily applicable to WWI paper models as well, I assume.   

The SSW D.III is coming along nicely.  I'm looking forward to your work on the fuselage and cowling. 

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »
Hi Bob,

I masked with plain ol' Tamyia tape after sticking it to my face a few times just to get rid of some tackiness.  I also used 3M Post-It tape.  Still got pretty tight demarcations. 

As for the SSW, here are the tails and the skid!  Coming along nicely.

More soon...Dan

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »
Rear fuselage with a butt joint just behind the rear cockpit and my home-made tab joint in front of the fin.  I tried the latter since I've had hard times with simple butt joints.  Now I'm not so sure!  I think my butt joint looks a bit better or at least not worse.  I also couldn't resist adding the tails.  They look cool.

More tomorrow...Dan

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »
Smidge more...the interior...which isn't too accurate and the parts are flat (this is an old design model).  I still like it since once it's all together, it looks pretty busy and fits the model well.  I then added the front fuselage and now the cowling will be on soon.
Tonight, I think I'll do the head rest and perhaps the cockpit edging. 

More soon on this little hot rod...Dan

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »
Gun breaches, louvers, cowling and spinner!  Paint some bits tomorrow...Dan  ;)