Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Albatros D.I
« on: August 23, 2021, 04:28:48 AM »
Hi all,
I've taken a short break to start the new tool Airfix 1:72nd scale Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2 for a friend who used to be a crew chief on No.44 Squadron at RAF Waddington.
However, as it's not due to be delivered until December, I've made a start on another WW1 aircraft.
This model from 'Roden' will represent the Albatros D.I of Ltn. Dieter Collin of Jasta 2 ’Boelcke’, flying from Berthincourt, September 1916.

During 1915 the German Fokker Eindecker fighters were dominant over the current allied aircraft of the time.
Eventually however, better designed fighters, such as the De-Havilland DH.2 of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the French Nieuport fighters soon gained the advantage.
The German Idflieg (Inspectorate of Flying Troops) sought better designed fighters from German aircraft companies and protoypes from Halberstadt and Fokker were being test flown by the Spring of 1916.
However these designs, although better, did not surpass the allied aircraft in general performance.
The Albatros Flugzeugwerke Gmbh company, which had only produced two seat aircraft, created what was then considered to be a radical design for a fighter, which was designed by Robert Thelen.
Following the lead of the allied bi-plane fighters, particularly the French Nieuport’s, the prototype Albatros D.I featured a more powerful engine and a streamlined plywood skinned fuselage (semi-monocoque), which differed from it’s contemporaries, which had linen covered structure.
Performance during flight testing was enough for the Idflieg to place an initial order for 50 aircraft with serial numbers D.422/16 to D.471/16.
Although a second batch was ordered with serial numbers D.472/6 to D.521/16, these were never built as the improved Albatros D.II was already in production.
In total, seven units were formed and operated the Albatros D.I, the second unit being Jasta 2, formed at Laguincourt during August 1916 and commanded by Oberleutnant (later Hauptmann) Oswald Boelcke.
The introduction of this aircraft caused concern, especially as it proved superior to the RFC DH.2 fighters.
However, it’s operational career was short and by the end of 1916 the Albatros D.I was being replaced by the newer D.II.
Of the 50 aircraft built, some survived to the end of the war, being used as flight trainers.

This particular Albatros D.I was a pre-production version and had differences to the production aircraft.
An Anemometer was fitted to the forward, starboard interplane strut and the expansion tank for the engine cooling system was located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
The propeller fitted was an ‘Axial’, rather than the more often fitted ‘Reschke’ type.
The serial number of this aircraft has been stated as being D384/16, but it seems this may not be the case.
Although the aircraft was probably delivered in the standard factory finish, it was later painted in an undefined green colour.
In addition, the white Crossfield of the Balken Cross markings on the upper wing were painted over, leaving the remaining Crossfields intact.

Initially this aircraft was flown by Diether Collin and his personal marking of a white ‘Co’, outlined in black, was added to the fuselage sides, to the rear of the Balken Cross.
Later this aircraft was flown by the Prussian Prince Friedrich Karl, when the markings of Collin were replaced with skull and cross bones on a black background marking.
These were applied to the fuselage sides and the propeller spinner.
On the 21st of March 1917, Prince Karl was wound during combat with DH.2 fighters of No.32 Squadron (RFC).
He made a forced lading between the lines but was shot in the spine as he attempted to reach the safety of his own lines and died of his wounds.
The aircraft was later captured and given the RFC identification of G-17.

On the 13th of August 1918, Diether Collin was severely wounded during combat with Sopwith Camels of No.204 Squadron (RAF) over Bailleul and later that day died of his wounds, aged 25.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:57:45 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline gedmundson

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »
Looking forward very much to following this build Mike.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline FAf

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 04:55:07 AM »
Great little history lesson and a very nice looking aeroplane! Looking forward to your build.
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 05:14:01 AM »
As always I look forward to you turning this kit into a Masterpiece!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:02:24 PM »
Hi all,
This particular Albatros D.I was a pre-production version and had differences to the production aircraft.
An Anemometer was fitted to the forward, starboard interplane strut and the expansion tank for the engine cooling system was located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
The propeller fitted was an ‘Axial’, rather than the more often fitted ‘Reschke’ type.

The production aircraft had a larger, triangular shaped expansion tank located along and above the engine and slightly to the left side (as supplied in the kit).
However, this particular aircraft was a pre-production build and had a conical coolant expansion tank located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
This was one of possibly only two or three pre-production aircraft with this type of expansion tank.

On production aircraft, with the over engine expansion tanks, it can be seen that a pipe was connected to the top of the expansion tank and up over the leading edge of the upper wing.
My assumption is that this pipe was intended to release to atmosphere, any excess build up of pressure within the cooling system.

The following photograph is of this particular aircraft after it was recovered from the crash site of the then pilot, Prince Karl.
The photograph shows two pipes routed rearwards over the engine, from the coolant expansion tank.
The Albatros D.I did not have a flush mounted radiator fitted into the upper wing, but had instead 'Windhoff' radiators located on the fuselage sides.
My assumption is that the upper pipe was attached to the upper wing and vented to atmosphere any over pressurization in the cooling system.
The lower pipe was possibly routed down inside the fuselage a cockpit coolant temperature gauge.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »
Fascinating history and provenance of this aircraft, and helpful photo illustrations, Mike.  Thanks for sharing this.  I will follow with keen interest.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 12:33:01 AM »
It is good to see this one being built with the correct tank. Many Modelers miss the difference!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:53:11 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 02:37:57 AM »
What a great project, Mike, and thank you for the detailed introduction and useful info! I'm looking forward to seeing you work your usual magic on this! Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 06:59:26 AM »
Great subject Mike ! following when I can

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 08:28:25 AM »
That plane, then taken over by Prinz Friedrich von Preussen, is also on my to do list.
What’s your opinion regarding the extent of the green paint job: upper wings included or upper wings still in green-brown camo? I personally tend to the latter possibility.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
Hi Andreas,
It's difficult to determine if the Albatros D.I of Collin then Prince Karl had the upper surfaces of the wings the same light green colour of the fuselage.
Its thought the undersides were a light blue colour.
This photograph is the aircraft when flown by Collin.
It looks more one colour than the standard green/brown or green/grey/brown colours used on these aircraft.
That said, there could be the faint outline of a different colour?
Remember the white crossfields under the Eisernes Kreuzs was painted over.

The more usual green/brown or green/grey/brown is more noticeable, as in the following photograph.

Although it may not be definitive, the colour profile by Pearson has the upper surfaces and fuselage light green.

Mike

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 11:30:12 AM »
This photograph is the aircraft when flown by Collin.

It looks more one colour than the standard green/brown or green/grey/brown colours used on these aircraft.

That said, there could be the faint outline of a different colour?

This is an interesting discussion. I have couple of Albatros D.I's in the waiting pile and this has given me food for thought on what I would like to do them.

In the photo it does look like the upper wing might have more than one colour but the lower wing and tail do not, at least when compared to the second photo.

As a model painting the upper wing in multiple colours and the lower wing and tail in a singular colour would make for an interesting visual scheme and no one could prove it incorrect.

cheers, Graham

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
Hi Mike

Well this is fun, it's great to follow your Roden Albatros D.1 build because I am making one too! It's an enjoyable build so far but mine will be in a different scheme featuring a plywood fuselage. It's currently in the corner drying after an application of oils.

Your posts and reference images are a great guide and I'm also referring to other Forum builds for tips which is helping a lot.

The trouble is when I'm waiting for oils to dry I twitch about starting another project while I'm waiting and the Special Hobby Morane Saulnier N is calling out from under the bench!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 05:52:37 PM »
Hello again,

the Albatros D. I is one of my all-time favored. It was my first large scale plane that I built in 2016 and although I would do many things differently today, I really love the model in my display cabinet

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7155.0

I had prepaired a dual build of another, Friedrichs, Albatros D. I and an Albatros D. III some months (eternities) ago, but my mojo stopped me from doing so. But this project is just on halt.
I then had collected all the photos I could find on Colins/Friedrichs Albatros D. I in all the publications I have (there might be more around, but I bought everything "Albatros" in the past years...) and I also think that there's no definite answer and much is possible because no one could prove you wrong  :)

What might help is not to look at "Co" as an isolated plane, but to see this machine as part of Jasta 2's early Albatros equipment. When Jasta 2 got their Albatros biplanes in fall 1916, they were not only eager to try out their twin MGs, but they also made experiments how to camouflage these new birds. Obviously brown and green were the pots full of paint these guys received. And the variations in using these paints were wide: there were stippled fuselages and fuselages painted in a solid color (green on "CO", but probably brown on Büttners bird, like depicted on WDF No. 100). Also the wings, especially the white backgrounds of the Eiserne Kreuze were reduced to a thin white line, by solid overpainting or by stippling colors (e. g. Höhnes rudder on 390/16).
Therefore I don't think that "Co" went through a special treatment, but its finish was product of these experimentings. The "reseda green" shade might come from simply mixing green camo paint with white (?)
And when it comes to repainting planes on Jasta level, it is always difficult to repaint upper wings (have a look at all these 1918 planes when they changed from Eiserne Kreuze to Balkenkreuze: Many planes are photographed with fuselage crosses already repainted but with old crosses on upper wings). You had no professional paint shop, but only ladders to climb onto. Famous "le petit rouge" of Richthofen also retained camouflaged (upper) wings, nevertheless it was frequently described as "red plane", just because its fuselage was painted red.

That's the reason why I believe that "Co" wasn't painted entirely green, but retained its camouflaged upper wings (but Grahams idea of green lower and camouflaged upper wings is not only very appealing, but also plausible, as the lower wings were in perfect reach for the painters) -- only the white fields under the crosses were reduced to thin white outlines. But these are only my personal thoughts and theories on this subject  :)

Best regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Hi all,
The engine is completed.
It's the basic kit engine with just a few enhancements, as most will be hidden by the the fuselage.
I've added:
Ignition lead support tubes (1.0 diameter brass tube).
Ignition leads at the spark plugs and magnetos (0.3 mm diameter lead wire).
Coolant expansion tank and pipe (modified WNW engine cylinder and 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and flexible black tube).
Coolant supply pipe from water pump to cylinder integral gallery.
Carburettor control rods (blackened 0.4 mm Brass tube).
Air vale at rear of camshaft housing.
Fuel feed pipes to base of the carburettor.
Spare WNW data plate decals.

Mike

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:31:31 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »