Author Topic: Artwork by James Deneen  (Read 1299 times)

Offline gedmundson

Artwork by James Deneen
« on: August 08, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
When my brother Tony and I were quite young, we read a lot about the Red Baron. We cut out an advert from a Scale Modeler magazine and ordered 4 prints by artist James Deneen who had done a set on von Richthofen. I got two and Tony got the others. Later, we bought the ones we needed at Oshkosh '83 to each have the set, but they languished in storage for a long time. Finally I have all four of them now framed and hanging in our den. They may be technically incorrect (MvR's first victory showing an Albatros D.II with a wrongly marked early Fe2b) but they capture a feel of the air war of 1916-18 nicely.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline rhallinger

Re: Artwork by James Deneen
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Very cool!  As I get older, I find that I really enjoy the nostalgia of things from my youth.  These prints really take me back to that era.  Thanks for sharing them.

Best regards,

Bob

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
   I too had these four on the walls of my room as a teen, great memories here and they have not lost their appeal. Thanks for posting these Gary, great stuff!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 06:56:05 AM »
They are incredibly expressive paintings full of movement and drama. I can well see why they captured your young imagination!

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 07:45:51 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of some of the EduArt kit series from Eduard (e.g. the Fokker and SPAD), some are painted by a Japanese artist  Shigeo Koike.
https://www.hlj.com/german-fighter-planes-art-print-bundle-kikpb-003

Cheers,
Frank