Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144  (Read 9045 times)

Bughunter

Re: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2021, 04:46:24 AM »
Oh, very interesting materials in this shop! Something like that wire (there are different sizes) could also be a option for spokes?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
posted earlier as a suitable alternative for the NiChrome wire and worth repeating:

Molybdenum cutting wire.  Commonly used for separating the screens of smart phones during repairs. Also called LCD separator wire, screen cutting wire, or various other combinations of LCD, screen, smart phone, separator, separating and cutting.  eBay, Amazon, and your other friendly online Asian sources list many.

Available in many sizes from about 0.03mm ( 0.0012 inches - smallest I can find ) to 0.1mm or so. 0.04mm, 0.05mm, 0.06mm sizes seem to be pretty common.

Molybdenum is pretty tough but I can cut the 0.04mm stuff I found with a sharp scalpel blade although I do tend to use a pair of cutting tweezers similar to these: https://www.ideal-tek.com/scheda.php?m=search&f=8&c=Cutting%20Tweezers&l=3&idp=58  simple and intuitive to use, they get a lot of use and I don't know I managed without.

cheers Graham

Offline Skyhook

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
Wow....just wow!  This project really does my head in :). It is totally amazing how crisp and detailed things you can do. I am sure I will take a hint or two from your technique, if only I will try to do them double the size :)

cheers, Skyhook

Online Borsos

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2021, 04:13:36 AM »
Thats unbelievable. I‘ve seen many things in tiny scales, but that here is second to nothing. Pure modelling magic!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »
Only a few things left to go, but they are real mojo killers.  There's the landing lamps on the wings, plus the external bombsight and the wind driven generator under the nacelle.  Ho hum...

During the week I was able to add the control cables and rigging to the top wing and along to the tail.  I think there's maybe six more wires left to go now.  I also made the windscreen from some super thin cellophane and added the two Lewis guns (been wanting to do that for ages). 

Here's a dawn shot for a bit of a moody backdrop, as I contemplate pulling my finger out and getting on with it:

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2021, 02:46:55 AM »
Very nice shot, there.

Bughunter

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:04 AM »
As you may know from my latest album updates I love outdoor shots. This one is even more fantastic!
Such a great model, it looks real here.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline William Adair

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2021, 06:58:02 PM »
Thanks Bughunter!  My old iphone 6 does not handle low light very well, so the image is a bit fuzzy.  However I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.  There was a bit of a breeze blowing and I could just imagine the thing being blown sideways and onto the ground.   

Bad things happen outdoors.  That's what I always say.  I went out today and braved the stage #4 lockdown to fetch a rare treat of takeaway dumplings for my wife and me.  As I stood on the kerb outside waiting for my order, a bird did a poop which landed on my mobile phone...  Somebody told me it was lucky, but I don't understand how. :-[

I had much more luck inside and later on and managed to do a reasonable job of the external course-setter bombsight on the side of the observer's cockpit.  Its tiny and ludicrously complicated, but it was there on A857 so I had to do it.  3x1.3mm and a mere 14 parts in total.   :o

Here's a shot of the bombsight glued in position.  I must admit I'm a bit shocked that I managed to pull that off.  Maybe it was magic poop after all! 

Offline William Adair

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
A little bit more:

I made the little dynamo thingy last night and attached it this evening.  It was made from black sprue and some Evergreen rod that was painted with Mr Color Brass.  The little prop blade is a very thin material which was painted silver and glued in place with PVA.  I used a strip cut from the clear cellophane panel on a packet of old Microscale decals.  This stuff is amazingly thin but quite workable considering how fine it is.

I very nervously turned the Fee over to glue it in place.  Only a few more details to go now.  I need to do the raised landing lights near the wingtips next, but I have no idea how to make the tiny tear drop shape yet.  If anybody owns the WNW kit and can measure these parts for me it would be a huge help...

One detail I've decided to leave off for clarity is the reinforced canvas bags that hang down from the Lewis guns to catch the spent ammunition casings.  I feel like the model would look much better without them.  As at this scale it would be very hard to tell what they were, and they would look a bit "Drew Peacock" (if you know what I mean).

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2021, 12:00:31 AM »
Superb work!

:o

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:52 AM »
Simply stunning.....

Shame about the bird dropping but the aim could have been worse...

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2021, 02:06:56 AM »
🙈🙉🙊 Speechless!!!!!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2021, 04:47:53 AM »
Lovely! I can't even Imagine doing details this small!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline William Adair

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
OMG I've finished. :0

The last few bits went in today.  I can't believe I finally have an Fe2 that is all my own.  If ever a genie had given me a wish for one model, this would have been it.
Some quickie pics below and I'll make a post with more in the RFI section...  Happy days  ;D

Offline RichieW

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2021, 05:28:12 AM »
Happy days all round then! Seeing this stunning little replica finished will make everybody smile. It certainly has me! :)

Richie