Author Topic: 1/32 Bristol Scout scratch build  (Read 1852 times)

Offline RichieW

1/32 Bristol Scout scratch build
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:52:29 PM »
Hi everybody, I have been toiling away for a year trying desperately trying to learn the dark arts of scratch building and have finally decided to call this one done. Due to a certain degree of clumsiness the final touch ups could take as long as building the model in the first place so I have decided to simply be more precise next time.

I had never heard of the Bristol Scout until last year when I saw 1264 at the Shuttleworth collection and was immediately struck by what an elegant little biplane it was. Even if it was utterly plastered in oil stains at the time! In the museum shop I found a book, Rebuilding Grandad's Aircraft, which tells the story of how David Bremner found the rudder bar, control stick and magneto from his Grandfather's   favourite wartime mount and used them as a basis for rebuilding Scout 1264.

Before the photos I must just say a huge THANKS to Stephen, Richard, Alexis, DaveB, Ken, Frank, Rick and everybody else for all the help and encouragement in what was a very testing project!

So enough of the waffle here are the pictures of my first scratch build;

1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking, all comments, advice and criticism is very welcome.

Richie

Offline Radarman

Re: 1/32 Bristol Scout scratch build
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 11:01:45 PM »
Richie,
I think you have successfully completed your training in the "Dark Arts". That's a great looking model. Well done!

Kevin                                                                                                         
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 12:01:44 AM »
Watching this one come together has been one of the best experiences I have had in all of MY years on the Forum Richie! The growth of your skills and the results speak for themselves! Truly inspiring work.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »
Richie,
I think you have successfully completed your training in the "Dark Arts". That's a great looking model. Well done!

Kevin                                                                                                       

Thanks Kevin, it was a tough apprenticeship but fun too!

Watching this one come together has been one of the best experiences I have had in all of MY years on the Forum Richie! The growth of your skills and the results speak for themselves! Truly inspiring work.
RAGIII

Many thanks Rick, that kind comment has made me very happy. Without your support and encouragement right from the start of my forum career I would probably be a trainspotter now! If ever you visit the UK it would be great to meet up.

Richie

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 12:14:24 AM »
Beautiful model Richie!  She really looks good, and you've achieved a convincing finish on top of a remarkable scratch build.  Very well done! ;D

Best regards,

Bob   

Offline DaveB

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 01:58:44 AM »
Richie -

What can I say? Truly outstanding job resulting a brilliant looking Bristol Scout - and myself and Steve have had the absolute pleasure of seeing this one up close and personal.

What's next on your model bench now then?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 02:14:56 AM »
Congratulations, old man, and welcome to the scratchbuilder's guild.  I trust Stephen showed you the secret handshake?   ;D

Your work looks great.  The production of the parts and the weathering are all superb.

Have you thought about the next one yet?

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:02 AM »
That is a lovely, lovely model Richie! Quite a beautiful and authentic result! For your first scratchbuild it is just gorgeous! You did a wonderful thing just pushing through all the problems.... I enjoyed the thread no end! Regards, Marc.

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 03:13:10 AM »
If you had written that Wingnut Wings is back in business and that this is the latest model, the whole crowd (who haven't seen your build report) would have been all over the website in New Zealand!

I can only sign, what is written above! This is a beautiful model.
And the best thing is, that you have learned a lot and had big fun :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »
Congratulations, old man, and welcome to the scratchbuilder's guild.  I trust Stephen showed you the secret handshake?   ;D

That's the one where you can't let go because of spilled superglue, isn't it?

Richie, you've done an excellent job with this build. She's lovely

As Ken said - what's next?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 04:22:23 AM »
Thanks so much for your kind comments everybody, I feel quite overwhelmed by all the generous, positive feedback my little Scout has received.

Ken and Richard I'm not sure what comes next, I have a pile of data files I'm thumbing through but the BE2c and Vickers FB5 are catching my eye at the moment. I need to choose very carefully because I very little space but want to stick with 1/32 scale. Hhhmmmmm, I wonder what Stephen would suggest. Gunbus it is then!

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 04:41:57 AM »
You'd better learn to solder if you are doing the Gunbus!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 04:47:17 AM »
You'd better learn to solder if you are doing the Gunbus!

Richard

I'd better clear the decks of all the combustible debris too!  ;)

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 05:21:25 AM »
Beautiful results, Richie, what a cracker. I enjoyed the build immensely and the results are superb. Nice one.
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 06:19:11 AM »
Richie, as Dave commented I had the privilege and pleasure to look at this close up yesterday, and I can honestly report that the photographs simply fail to do this model justice. It is sooooo much better than it looks in the photos - and just looking at them I am blown away.

Welcome to the dark arts of scratch building which you have clearly mastered with great skill. A super, interesting and informative build log has led to a brilliant model.

I am not going to ask you what is next, but you can see my Gunbus next week if you wish to.... Soldering is not difficult and I have a copy of the DataFile!

Stephen.