Author Topic: SPAD XIII B 3479 ( While with 19 squadron RFC  (Read 1378 times)

Offline RAGIII

SPAD XIII B 3479 ( While with 19 squadron RFC
« on: August 02, 2021, 03:15:54 AM »
 I have chosen to do My Roden SPAD XIII as B 3479 ( The first SPAD XIII delivered to the RFC). Although most are familiar with how it was marked in Feb 1918  while serving in 23 squadron it actually first served in 1917 with 19 squadron. ( June 9th through early Aug. About two Months) I have asked elsewhere and it seems there is No real info as to markings/ color scheme. I think it is safe to say that it would have been delivered in the "Yellow Period" scheme. ( End of May for tests before going to 19 squadron). My guess is at that time it would have been brought up to RFC standards, Lacing on the left fuselage for one thing. At some point in its career it received a PC 10 upper surface finish.

So what do you all think, Should I carry on with PC 10 for MY 19 squadron version? Re Do it in the Yellow finish? I figured I would add a white dumbell marking, the serial number, and call it good? ( Black of course if I went with the "Yellow" scheme  8) )
Thoughts, Opinions and wild A.. Guesses welocome  ::)

23 squadron profile found on a google search:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:21:54 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

Re: SPAD XIII B 3479 ( While with 19 squadron RFC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 04:22:24 AM »
Your call, really, Rick! We have little enough information on WW1 aircraft as it is, to get more than one picture of any airframe is a bonus! As they, say, just keep it plausible and you are OK! Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

Re: SPAD XIII B 3479 ( While with 19 squadron RFC
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 03:26:24 AM »
Your call, really, Rick! We have little enough information on WW1 aircraft as it is, to get more than one picture of any airframe is a bonus! As they, say, just keep it plausible and you are OK! Regards, Marc.

Thanks for responding Marc. Yep, I went with PC 10 and a white Dumb Bell although there is probably a Better than even chance it is wrong  ::) I don't think anyone can prove it though  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler