Author Topic: Useful bottles  (Read 1122 times)

Online macsporran

Useful bottles
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »
I included this tip on a build report recently and it raised a little interest so thought it might be worth a heads-up here.

When I stay in hotels I tend to leave with some of the empty shampoo bottles for modelling use.
The best I have found are 30ml bottles as below - these from The Scottish Fine Soaps Company! Once rinsed out completely I use them to mix and thin paints for the airbrush. They are fully airtight and mixed paints last for weeks or months in them . It means I can mix a colour but keep plenty back for resprays or touch up. (When the sediment settles it's fine for brush applied touch up, or shake again for airbrush cup.)

The picture shows an original bottle with soap and two of the colours I mixed for a French 5 camo scheme, using Tamiya acrylics. However for my automobile models I also use them to mix Humbrol enamels with Mr Levelling Thinner, and also to decant Halfords rattle can paint through a plastic straw. In the latter case it takes a long time for the rattle can paint to gas-out and the lids need to be left loose otherwise the bottles blow up alarmingly (fortunately never had an explosion!!!)

You might think I am encouraging you to purloin lots of such bottles from the maids' trolleys in hotel corridors but I, of course, could not possibly condone that!

If it helps, all to the good.
Sandy

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Useful bottles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 10:36:19 PM »
While you are at breakfast in your hotel, remember to ask for toast. It often comes with jam or marmalade in little glass jars with screw tops

They're great for mixing paint in

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online macsporran

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »
Cheers Richard,

Yes, the little glass bottles are good for mixing paint but the seals aren't very airtight and the paint dries out fairly quickly. Also the wide neck is awkward for pouring into the airbrush cup. I have a drawer full of these and agree they have many uses - but the narrow neck airtight plastic shampoo ones are worth their weight in ..... paint?

:)
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:56:00 PM »
We can buy these empty at the dollar store . They come in packs of 2 or 4 so a couple of bucks isn't bad . We don't get the glass jars here in Canada . We get those love jam packs out of plastic with a foil top . These I will use for mixing paints for brush painting . Will even use caps form pop bottles , no clean up need just toss in the trash or recycling bin . Also before your wife toss an empty eyeshadow case or blush . I save my for mixing pastel chalks for weather  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:02:49 PM »
Almost forgot , thanks for sharing the tip Sandy  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
I wonder who will chip in with a modelling use for hotel plastic shower caps

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:40 AM »
I wonder who will chip in with a modelling use for hotel plastic shower caps

Richard

A source of masking manitral perhaps .....

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch