Author Topic: Kondor D.2 1/48 SPIN model; 5.8.21 Finished  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Kondor D.2 1/48 SPIN model; 24.7.21 Airscrew
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
Still incredibly amazing Frank. Nothing new to say, but just to say it again…  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2021, 08:52:31 PM »
Just caught up with this, Frank, what a masterly build.
I remember a few SPIN kits - e.g. the Pulpit SPAD  - where you have to release the parts from the sheet of flash! This is more of a scratch build with a few SPIN bits added to the mix! Lovely prop.
Sandy

Bughunter

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »
Thank you Ken, Lance, Stephen, Fredrik, Brad, Andreas and Sandy for your responses! Highly appreciated!

Don't know if you wet sanded the cowling
Not yet, but I will try!

this is amazingly quick (and good)!
The small size helps with the speed, not much details, no weapons, no two seater, ...

How do you trim the aviattik lozenge after it's on the model and get it to conform to the curves of the wing?
Brad, yes, I heard often that the Aviattic decals do not react to the chemical liquids but that is not true. Here is my way:
I apply the decals the usual way. They should fit, but if a bit bigger it works also. Then I let them dry, best overnight. The next day I cut them with a very sharp scissor if necessary (but do not move the scissor during cut to not stretch the decals, tricky).
Then: I apply Micro Set (the blue one) to the decals, but not on top. I put it with a brush into the gap between wing and decal. Then wait 10 or 15 seconds and press it with a finger to the surface. It is possible to apply Set again. But be careful and do not stretch the decal!
The decals react very nicely to  the Set and conform to the surface. It there is not enough glue it is possible to fix with future or thinned white glue.
Hope it helps!

I remember a few SPIN kits - e.g. the Pulpit SPAD  - where you have to release the parts from the sheet of flash!
Oh yes, you mean this plate? I had it in the kit pictures on the first page. I have not used much of it.

This is more of a scratch build with a few SPIN bits added to the mix!
This is my way to build oob  8)  It is somehow easier and faster to use for example real wooden struts instead of use that resin parts, clean them, fill bubbles and other failures, paint them wood, ...
It is a good training for a later full scratch build!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »
Beautiful work Frank! The struts look perfect as does the assembled landing gear. The prop is Gorgeous. Well done as always!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2021, 05:40:04 AM »
Thank you Rick!
In meantime the hardening time of the oils is over so the paint job can continue ...
I think I can show some pictures the next days.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
I really like how your prop turned out Frank , your best so far !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2021, 01:21:54 AM »
In meantime the hardening time of the oils is over so the paint job can continue ...
I think I can show some pictures the next days.

Cheers,
Frank

Can't wait! 😁
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2021, 07:51:18 AM »
Frank you are keeping us in suspense here, I can sense another level of sheer brilliance is coming very soon!

Richie

Bughunter

Kondor D.2 1/48 SPIN model; 30.7.21 First mountings
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2021, 04:04:41 AM »
Then I won't keep you in suspense any longer!

I really like how your prop turned out Frank , your best so far !
Thank you Alexis, but I think the Axial of the Albatros Dr.I is even better. At least in real.

First mountings

After the oils are hard I added some clear paint layers, followed by a satin clear coat for protection.
Later I masked the tail, painted the fin white and added the cross with self cut masks.

A light wood structure is still visible.

I masked again and added future to the tailplane and the control surfaces. A day later I started here to add lozenge.

The original plan was to add alu sheet metal to the fuselage, but this fail. The shape of the fuselage makes this not easy. So I decided to paint with Alclad. With removing the masks I noted some trouble, where the Alclad bites/solves the wood paint :(  Should have tried kitchen foil!

The lower wing is glued into its slot. The intake pipes are also added from metal.

Tail skid is finally mounted.

The undercarriage too. That is a little bird!

The lozenge on the tail needs to dry and some care then on hinges etc.

The upper wing is only plugged on for test fit. I need to prepare the rigging before.

Luckily the painted alu is not very prominent in the shadow of the upper wing.

The tires are also painted, and will get lozenge after drying.

I hope you will like this little biplane!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Kondor D.2 1/48 SPIN model; 30.7.21 First mountings
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2021, 05:03:48 AM »
Yes, I like it very much Frank!

I think you are doing very well. Great paintjob with the Alclad. I don't think anyone will notice the spots where it dissolved the wood paint.

It's a small beautiful aircraft.  In your hand it almost look 1/72!

Unless you have big hands of course  ;)

Willem

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2021, 05:38:53 AM »
Gorgeous little bird Frank! Like Willem I don't think the "Bite" of the Alclad  shows enough for anyone to notice. Lets not get into that whole "Big Hands" thing  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2021, 07:19:47 AM »
I love this little biplane Frank and am blown away by the skills you are using to bring it together. I thought the paint was metal at first glance and even zooming in on the photos I can't see any spots where the Alclad has damaged the paint. Perhaps like everybody else I'm too busy looking at all the things that are so great about this model!

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Moving forward very nicely Frank , tones on the fuselage look fantastic !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
Thank you my friends for your very nice comments!

I thought the paint was metal at first glance and even zooming in on the photos I can't see any spots where the Alclad has damaged the paint.
The problem was also to much paint. I have 3 Alclad alu shades in my stash. I thought that that dark alu is to dark so I sprayed "Aluminium" at first, but this was darker compared to the cowling. So I sprayed a layer "White aluminium" on top, whoch matches the cowling better.
Another problem seems to be, that the red-brown clear coat was going also in the metal area, so the solvent was able to go below. Something learned: more masking the next time. 
Ok Richie, here is finally a macro shot for you!

This discussion about the hand gave me the right idea!
I found a hand on a Aviattic decal (in real it looks better, here we have a Moiré pattern):

Some mechanic got his oily dirty paw on the fuselage!

That's not in the original photo, but I take artistic licence! Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheer,
Frank

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2021, 09:36:59 PM »
Hah!

A mechanics dirty oil paw...

I like it!!  ;D

Willem