Author Topic: My kingdom for a decent pin vice...  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
My kingdom for a decent pin vice...
« on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »
Hi all - every time I buy a pin vice, the chuck is off centre (see attached picture).

This makes it very hard to drill fine holes without constantly breaking the drill bit, or the bit shifting on the surface, due to the off-centre rotation.

Many years ago I had my old 'trusty' which was nicely centred, but it's worn out over time and will no longer hold the very small drill bits needed for rigging holes.

Where can I find a decent quality pin vice, with a centred chuck, and some good quality and durable drill bits (~80 size)?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: My kingdom for a decent pin vice...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
Interesting problem Brad. My pin vice is ancient, literally 19th Century inherited from my grandfather who used it for jewellery and watch making use.

I have some newer pin vices too but find the oldest one is still the best. With that in mind perhaps it's worth finding out what type of pin vice jewellers and watch maker/ repairers use today and source it from their source?

I think Tamiya do one too which may have a better centred chuck?

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:31:06 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:01 PM »
hey Brad!
I have the same problem, not an off center vice, but one that cannot hold very thin bits as the hole doesn’t tighten well.
After some thougts I found that by inserting a strip of aluminium (I get my source from mayo tubes) in the vice, thus reducing the diameter of the hole, I can use also the thinnest bit....
may be you can give it a try...

ciao
edo

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 07:09:11 PM »
Tamiya is spot on.
I own 2 and both are aligned perfectly in the centre.

Good luck!
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 08:00:19 PM »
Here is a set with 4 holders, but also others in this category:
https://www.zujeddeloh.de/produkte/werkzeuge_+_zubehoer/spannwerkzeuge/spannen_--581/werkzeughalter-satz--_1870.html
https://www.zujeddeloh.de/artikel581.html#a1870

But I need always to be careful with this shop: it has sooo many nice tooling, I'd like to buy all of them ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »
I've got a couple of Eclipse pin chucks, The 120 is like the set Frank has linked to. The other is an Eclipse 160

Richard

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
My problem was that all the readily available pin vices were too big to hold a 0.3mm drill and the bit kept siding into the chuck. My problem was solved at SMW 2019 when I bought a Starrett pin vise.
 It comfortably and securely holds a jobber type 0.3mm bit and I love it. Highly recommended!

https://www.starrett.com/category/111606#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

Ian

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:59:49 PM by IanB »

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
My problem was that all the readily available pin vices were too big to hold a 0.3mm drill and the bit kept siding into the chuck. My problem was solved at SMW 2019 when I bought a Starrett pin vise.
 It comfortably and securely holds a jobber type 0.3mm bit and I love it. Highly recommended!

https://www.starrett.com/category/111606#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

Ian

seconded, i bought my Starrett pin vice used on ebay. it's ancient. it's great, it's my favorite way to break drill bits.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
I have one from the set in Frank's link.

It's perfect!

Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 07:55:40 PM »
I must just be lucky, this is a problem I have never experienced - even after buying more pin vices than I can count.
The current batch below - none has an egocentric hole, all work well, even the cheapies from ebay and flea markets!
Sandy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 03:30:46 AM »
 ....... and I thought I was alone in accumulating Pin Vices! Like Sandy I probably have more then I need but this lot is what I found in my tool caddy on the bench:

The "Good Wife" tells me I'll ultimately reincarnate as a ferret or crow due to my addiction to shiny things, she may have a point but in fairness, more is better!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Berman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »
 I like the type with a wood or plastic ball handle. It fits comfortably in the palm of your hand.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »
Hey Brad ,

I will use round wood dowel with a hole drilled dead center for the size of small bit I'm using for rigging holes . Depending on how sharp your bits are a few spins in the fingers a few more if you want more depth . You can also get into tighter areas and it's less stress on the bits .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .