Author Topic: Modelik 1/33 Hanriot HD-1 in Italian Service  (Read 6112 times)

Offline rhallinger

Modelik 1/33 Hanriot HD-1 in Italian Service
« on: July 14, 2021, 06:26:46 AM »
Hello paper model fans!  Since Dan is sharing his Albatros D.V paper kit build right now, I have decided to do a build log for this Hanriot HD-1 to see if we can generate more interest in paper models of WWI aircraft.  Spoiler alert!  The kit is finished, but I took photos along the way so I will share the process in hopes of encouraging others.  These kits are really inexpensive, and no painting necessary, plus you can get some types that are just not available in plastic, so why not take the plunge?

Here is the kit:

Hanriot HD-1 3/27/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

We'll get started with the engine:

The copper tubes are styrene rod bent and formed to shape.
Hanriot HD-1 paper kit by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Most of the engine will be hidden behind the circular cowling, so I am not adding any further detail, as it will be mostly invisible anyway.  I tend to be more of a "look and feel" modeler rather than a super-detail guy, although I appreciate the effort of the super-detailers in our midst.  I'm just lazy. ;D

More to follow!

Best,

Bob

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Modelik 1/33 Hanriot HD-1 in Italian Service
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 02:18:04 PM »
Nice, Bob.  Who cares if it's done?  The pictures tell the story.  I like your point about oddball subjects available in paper too.  The other thing is that when done carefully, these really do stack up well to even WNW models and since they are kaput... ::) ;D

Looking forward to the rest of your pictures...Fellow Paper Nut,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 06:08:01 AM »
Thanks Dan!

Some basic bulkheads and beginning the cowling:

Hanriot under construction by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Upon gluing the successive rings, the inside was coated with AC to provide some rigidity.  Then, auto primer, sand, repeat until a smooth surface is obtained, then airbrush with silver acrylic paint, and you end up with something like this:

1/33 Paper Hanriot HD-1, 4/12/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

1/33 paper Hanriot HD-1, 4/14/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

That's all for today.  On to the fuselage and tail feathers next.

Bob

Offline Gene K

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:05 AM »
Nice job on the cowl, Bob. 

Gene K

(I assume you meant "CA" when you wrote "AC")

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »
Thanks Gene!  Yes, indeed it was CA I used.  Fingers don't always type what I want them to. ;) 

Here's a little more progress on the fuselage and tail planes.  Pretty much OTB ("out of the booklet") for these parts:

1/33 Hanriot by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

1/33 Hanriot by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

As you can see, I backed the bulkheads with 1/32 balsa as an does, for added strength.  I also added a balsa spacer on the cockpit floor to support the lower wings when they are attached.  The kit did not provide any bulkheads for the rear portion of the fuselage aft of the cockpit, so I added my own.  I also had a slight problem with the kit turtledeck not fitting as well as I liked (probably my construction errors catching up with me), so I carefully removed the part and copied a new one at the office copier, resizing it to fit better.  We'll see how that turns out.  More soon.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 04:52:07 AM »
I don't know how I missed this one until now but it is looking Fantastic! Looking forward to more as always.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
Thanks Rick!  This model is relatively well-designed, although like most paper kits it requires some careful and deliberate forethought on construction, as the instructions are not in English, and not likely all that helpful even if they were. ;)  The fit is pretty good, and the turtledeck issue was of my own making, moving too quickly as I sometimes do.  Repeated test fitting and precision are required before gluing--no shortcuts or haste! 

More work on the fuselage and tail:

Hanriot under construction by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

The rudder required a wire rod to help secure it to the fuselage frame.  You'll see the full assemblage in later progress.

1/33 paper Hanriot HD-1, 4/13/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Here is the fuselage closed up and the two segments joined, along with the lower wings folded and attached.  I lightly embossed the ribs from the underside of the wings before folding.  The fuselage joint line is a bit dark and heavy, but I am not going to worry about it.  I suppose I could find some matching paint to mute it if it bothers me later.

1/33 Paper Hanriot HD-1, 4/12/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

You can also see the new turtledeck and headrest fairing in place.  I think they look pretty good.  In this last shot, you can see the somewhat fiddley fuselage longerons that support the rudder and enclose the tail skid.  I backed these with additional card stock so they would be less likely to bend or tear.

That's it for today.  More soon.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 01:54:58 AM »
Nice clean work Bob , lovely outcome on the cowl  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 06:22:02 AM »
Lovely subject. Paper models are always fascinating, thank you for sharing your build log.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:33 PM »
Thanks Alexis and Guiseppe!  I have really enjoyed this kit.  Always wanted an HD-1, but none in 1/32 plastic (yet).  This is a nice alternative.

Here is the kit tailskid.  I added a brass wire to secure it to the rear fuselage bulkhead, as there is no other attachment point.  I just noticed there are some metal fittings on the skid that I should probably go back and paint. ;)

The hanging thread is EZ-Line for rigging the tail.  I use elastic thread almost exclusively for paper models, as their light weight construction would not tolerate the heavier tension of monofilament (at least it seems so to me).  The camera really shows the rough spots of paper construction, but with a little pencil or marker touch up it looks pretty good to the Mk.I eyeball from a foot or two away. ;D

Here is the fin and rudder added and rigged.  I used Evergreen strip for the stabilizer struts, because it looks a little crisper than the paper ones:

Time to work on the front end next.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 11:41:34 PM »
Excellent work on the tail Bob  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 01:33:00 AM »
After I turned aluminum cowling on a lathe I'm deeply impressed about the great cowling you made by using some stripes of paper :o
Wonderful work!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 02:15:45 AM »
Great job on those tails, Bob.  I too like that elastic thread for the same reasons.  Until I build a 1/33rd scale Staaken which will need 1/4 inch cables.

Dan  ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:03:55 AM »
Outstanding work on the tail surface Bobs. Really looks sharp!
RAGIII
PS: Sorry about the original wrong name thing  :'(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:47:04 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 01:31:14 AM »
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.  Time for another update.

Here is the engine ensconced in the cowling:

Although the paper strips of the cowling leave a large vent on the bottom, photos of the prototype show two other vents below and offset from the main vent.  These would have been very difficult to actually cut from the paper, so I decided to just add a sleight-of-hand representation after the cowling was finished and painted by using black decal stock cut to shape (the tool & die punch makes nice rounded ends!) applied in the correct position.  I think it is a reasonably effective representation.

The cowling/engine was glued in place on the firewall, and I added some additional detail to the front end of the fuselage. 

1/33 paper Hanriot HD-1, 4/15/21 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

The air intake tubes are Evergreen styrene tube reamed out with an appropriate drill bit to a thinner wall appearance, then painted before being glued in place.  I also used extra colored stock from the kit to cut out and add access hatches in the correct location.  I just left the printed ones there, although they are not in the right place as far as I can tell. 

That's it for now.  More soon!

Cheers,

Bob