Author Topic: Revell 1/48 S.E.5a  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Revell 1/48 S.E.5a
« on: July 04, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
I started this kit a while ago and have been slowly plodding on with the build in the background. This is the Revell edition of the Eduard 1/48 kit, it has some great detail for a 1/48 and the cockpit build has taken me a while to complete. I'm aware the rib stitching/tape is a bit over scale but as a brush painter i tend to lose details (even with thin coats) so i'm happy to not make any changes in these areas and we'll see how it looks once painted. Here's where i'm at so far...

The obligatory box and sprue shots...

I'd started by painting the main parts that make up the cockpit framework, i spent last night removing said parts and assembling them to make up the cockpit framework. I need to add the seatbelt decals then i can fit the seat, there's still a fair few parts that need to go on but this is all i currently have painted. I also need to do some post assembly touch ups but here's what i've got so far

The cockpit floor area is painted and luxuries like rudder pedals and some ammo have been fitted. I took the opportunity while this section was easy to handle to mask the underside of the wing to try for some rib tape effect.

Cockpit tub is nearly complete, next step is to fix it to the lower wing section then fit the gauges etc

I've also got the engine assembled and painted, maybe a surprising lack of detail when compared to the cockpit area and there's plenty of scope for adding wires and hoses. As the only part that will be seen however is the rocker covers i've decided not to waste time adding such details

The cockpit framework is now firmly attached to the wing and all fixtures and fittings are in place. The decal for the gauges isn't the best but once in place it won't really notice. The fit is tighter than trying to get big ben down the westminster tube line but copious amounts of fettling had it fitting quite nicely.

Also finished the paint on the inside of the fuselage

A quick test fit shows there's still fettling to be done to get the fuselage halves in place but nothing a good scrapping won't sort out

The marriage is now complete, plenty of test fitting with making minor adjustments here and there was the order of the day

The underside needs a bit of work but it's mainly around the floor section, the main seam along the fuselage is pretty good and a good sanding should sort it.

Online RAGIII

Re: Revell 1/48 S.E.5a
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 10:13:13 PM »
Really looking sharp! I wish the Roden 1/32nd kit had some of those details  ::) I am looking forward to your progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »
Excellent work! I have the Eduard kit and really should get around to building it.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »
I really have a soft spot for the SE5 and I think you're doing a great job. 👍

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
After having a spectacular failure with this kit I am always pleased to see it going together. Especially to such a high standard as this!

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 07:14:46 PM »
That's looking great so far and coming together very nicely!

I built the very same kit last year so looking forward to seeing how your take on this kit comes out

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:50:20 AM »
Somehow I have missed this one - probably because it is the wrong scale!

You have certainly made a cracking start on it - the cockpit is well detailed and the remainder of the assembly looks as though this is going to result in another first class model.

Stephen.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
thanks for looking in and the positive comments

Have got some more done on this over the last few days, underside of wings and ailerons etc have been painted, i tried for a wing tape effect, it's kinda worked but not as visible as i'd maybe like, but on the other hand subtle is also good so not sure how i feel about it atm. I also wanted a slightly random dirty look so the 2nd coat of paint was pretty much a wash which i think has worked quite well. As usual brush painted with a mix of enamels

Cabanes have also been fitted so next step is drill rigging holes then paint.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 08:38:08 PM »
Coming along nicely. Personally I like subtle  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 01:58:04 AM »
I like it ! Thumbs up  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »
Subtle is good to my eye, it's looking fantastic.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 02:01:35 AM »
thanks all for the comments and encouragement

it's now had it's second coat of paint, i was hoping 2 coats would be enough but a third coat will be needed just to cover some areas. Big thanks to Rag for the fabric crease tips, i added mine using acrylic putty, for a first attempt i'm pretty happy with them

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 04:51:55 AM »
That looks super EBF. The addition of the acrylic for the stretched fabric is a first class idea - I too will be keeping that in mind for future reference.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »
Lovely PC 10 and the wrinkles came out great! I think My SE5a is calling Me to get back to work  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »
Wrinkles turned out really well , nice job EBF . Looking forward on seeing the markings applied once the camo is touch up  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .