Author Topic: Finally finished something! 1/48 Eduard Morane-Saulnier "Bullet"  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Hi everyone – work has been keeping me very busy of late, so here is my latest completion (my first in well over six months), the 1/48 Eduard Morane Saulnier Type N "Bullet".

This is the 8090 non-profipack kit, released 15 years ago back in 2004.  The kit is quite an easy build (which is what I needed, having not really built much recently), but I did make a few adjustments and additions here and there. I added some RFC style seatbelts, wiring for instruments, some spare Lewis drums in the cockpit, a gaspatch Lewis gun, some external details here and there, strengthened the tailplane by replacing the elevator shaft with brass tube, and replaced the kit wheels (which are way too small) with Eduard after-market RFC-style wheels.

The markings came from the spares box. The kit was painted in the markings of A.175 of No 60 SQN, Royal Flying Corps. This was the machine in which the first Commanding Officer of 60 SQN, Major Francis “Ferdy” Waldron, was shot down and mortally wounded on 03 July 1916. The encounter is described thus in Alex Revell’s Osprey Book on 60 SQN RFC:

“On the morning of 3 July, ‘Ferdy’ Waldron led 5 bullets in a patrol to decoy attention away from NE 2cs attacking St Quentin. Lts J H Simpson and D V Armstrong fell out with engine trouble, but Waldron, Lt H H Balfour and Capt R R Smith-Barry flew on, above the Arras to Cambrai road. Approaching Cambrai, a formation of enemy two seaters, led by a Fokker E Type was seen, followed by two additional Fokker monoplanes, bringing the number of enemy machines to around  a dozen. Undeterred by these odds, Waldron immediately led Balfour and Smith-Barry in an attack. Harrold Balfour later wrote: ‘I’m sure they were not contemplating war at all but Ferdy pointed us towards them and led us straight in. My next impressions were rather mixed. I seemed to be surrounded by Huns in two-seaters’. Waldron was outmanoeuvred and attacked by a two seater, flown by Uffz Howe of FA5b. Balfour saw that his CO was in trouble and succeeded in driving off the enemy, but the damage was done. Waldron had been badly wounded, and although he managed to crash land his damaged Morane behind enemy lines, he died of his wounds that night”.

Indeed a brave chap, who suffered the same fate as many who courageously faced enormous odds in combat above the front lines. 

Anyways, here are some pictures:

All in all, not my best build but certainly good to finally get a run on the board for 2021.  All feedback welcomed as always!

Cheers,

Brad   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:00:47 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Finally finished something! 1/48 Eduard Morane-Saulnier "Bullet"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »
Absolutely superb world class model Brad! Every detail is spot on and the finishing is on a par with your usual world beating standards.

The cowl red is impressive too as it is a bit muted and realistic.

Just every detail in this build is perfect and in 1/48th scale too, an ideal scale for WW1.

Many thanks for sharing this with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 11:00:38 PM »
Thanks Dave, you're too kind! Good to finally get something built for the year :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »
Hello Brad -

Not your best??  I would consider that my best work if it was mine!

Great model work

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:59:52 AM »
   Very nice Brad, great finish and weathering! Having just completed a 1:32 Kit of this machine in the same colors I can really appreciate the superb job you've done on this one. I'm glad to see that you were able to get some time to spend at your leisure pursuits as well; military changes in jobs can be brutal IIRC!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 03:24:19 AM »
That is a cracker and winner in one!

Stephen.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:54 AM »
Such a nice little plane, one of my favourites. You did very well, making an excellent model.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Lance, Stephen and Giuseppe!

Cheers,

BC

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
Have I missed the Morane Group Build somewhere?  ;D Another Beautifully done Morane Brad! Your paint work, weathering, and chipping are top Notch as always. Subtle and effective equals Gorgeous Model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 11:22:20 PM »
Beautiful work, Brad. The plane itself is gorgeous. Best is the perfect paint job. Superb weathering and different shadings make it look so vibrant and interesting.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »
Looks okay to me, Brad.

;D   ;)

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Hi Brad - your build is absolutely stellar. I like every aspect of what you've done. Great photography too. I'm very impressed, as always, with your work.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »
Thanks very much everyone! :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline MichaelStieber

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 02:49:45 AM »
Wow, such a beauty !
I really like your decent weathering, which makes this plane looking so real.
Greetings,
Michael

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 10:28:11 PM »
Brad,

That looks fantastic.  I like the subtle weathering  and the paint chipping.  Very realistic and not over done. 

Paul