Author Topic: Extreme heat  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Extreme heat
« on: June 30, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
How are our friends in western Canada and the and the US dealing with the extreme heat?

I hope everyone is alright....

Here in the Netherlands we've had a short spell of this extreme heat, but we survived by reducing physical movement to zero and sit ourselves opposite a row of fans.

Willem

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Extreme heat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 11:16:33 PM »
I'm not doing well in this heat wave , haven't had any sleep in 4 days and trying to stay cool isn't working . THIS SUCKS .
My computer is acting up and is not working right and is getting worse and not sure how long this will last before it totally craps out it's 12 years old now . But an ice gel pack sitting under it seems to be doing trick for now .

Hope all of you are finding ways to stay cool but I have a feeling are whole summer will be like this  :( :( :( Just to hot !

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 11:44:29 PM »
     I live about 200 miles northeast of Alexis and can attest to the unpleasant conditions we are presently experiencing. Northern Alberta is located in what we refer to as "The Great White North" with long cold Winters, short Summers, and generally cooler conditions thus domestic air conditioning is not common. This past week has been nasty; I'd actually enjoy a good snow storm and plunge in temperature right now and only half as much as my poor dog! He's becoming paranoid as I pursue him around the place every hour or so with a dripping towel of ice cold water to soak him down and try to keep him cool. The model desk is very quiet in these conditions as it's just not a happy experience in this heat!
   This latest annoyance following the past many months of Pandemic enforced isolation is really stretching one's sense of humor; hopefully the forecast for the record heat wave to end this weekend proves accurate and we can get on with a "normal" lifestyle!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 12:15:02 AM »
A snow strom would be the cats meow right about now Lance ...Hell I rather have -30 . Easier to warm up than cool down . I do the same for Sieben . Will wrap a cold towel around and he fights this , he doesn't even like being pick up ! I place ice cubes in his water dish and will place them the floor and he lies on it ! Everything is closed up tighter than a drum to keep the heat out but it really doesn't keep the house any cooler . I sit outside in the evening .much cooler . Man I wish I had a pool , if I ever get married and we buy a house it will have a pool a big pool and you guys are all invited !!! No speedo's though  :o

I haven't done anything in front of the bench , tried the other day working on the building your first resin kit and I couldn't do it , wasn't able to focus . On a plus side I do have a job interview today so maybe something will come good out of the this  :)

Stay cool Lance !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 03:13:32 AM »
Thanks for asking after all of us, Willem. The 43° C temperature on Monday was very hard on my garden.
The raspberry and blue berry bushes have beed scorched by the heat and it didn't mater how much water
they received. It has cooled down now, but it will take all summer for the plants to recover. I hope this was
a once in a lifetime event.

Kevin in Port Orchard, Washington
We are all victims of history!

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
I've been feeling quite sorry for all the folks in the NW US and western Canada, y'all just aren't set up for this. I grew up in the Deep South where high heat, high humidity, and summer temps that stay at 90 to 100+ are the norm. I hated it then, and hate it now. Due to the shift in the jet stream which is causing this, we're experiencing below normal temps here in western Kentucky.
Prayers and positive thoughts sent your way.

WD

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
Take care, guys

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:10 PM »
Thinking of all you folk in Canada with the unseasonal heat wave. It's winter in Australia and everyone is rugged up and also in lockdown thanks to another Covid scare. Fortunately we laid in plenty of food and modelling glue so we are set for the time being.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 06:33:30 PM »
Fortunately we laid in plenty of food and modelling glue so we are set for the time being.

cheers

Dave Wilson

Don't mix them up!
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
Glad to hear you are all coping one way or another. I hope temperatures will be back to some kind of normal soon.

Willem

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 03:56:01 AM »
Hot summer in Italy as well and a new heat wave is expected next week. At least is not unusual but I understand how discomfortable can be for fellows living in usually colder countries. Hold strong!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 03:38:30 AM »
I hope you are ok there!
The news mentioned a record of 49,6°C which is really crazy :o Two years ago we had here in Germany of around 40, and that was already enough for me. Related to the "human internal temperature" that was only 3° above, now that is 12° more? :o

I hope this was a once in a lifetime event.
Kevin, I hope that too, but I fear the number of anomalies will increase enormously with the heated atmosphere.
Here we have heavy thunderstorms this year. Some days ago a small city in Bavaria was flooded within 25 minutes with 60 liter/m². The weather service called it "once-in-a-hundred-years event".
For my taste, that's a bit too many of those events at the same time.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 04:35:05 AM »
That is really hot. I was once in Egypt at 48°C and I had problems to breathe in this heat. I hope this will not be standard in the future.
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau