Author Topic: Stropp  (Read 1010 times)

Offline DeLano80

Stropp
« on: June 27, 2021, 12:52:41 AM »
I am curious why I am seeing the Albatros "Stropp" modeled with yellow wheels, nose and green and mauve wings.
Why the difference from the actual NASM aircraft?

Offline RAGIII

Re: Stropp
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 04:22:50 AM »
I am curious why I am seeing the Albatros "Stropp" modeled with yellow wheels, nose and green and mauve wings.
Why the difference from the actual NASM aircraft?

As far as the wings go the aircraft had those  green and mauve wings when shot down and captured . I forget if it was that the wings were changed out in the states at some point or if the NASM just decided to do lozenge. I also believe the crosses were the straight sided type and not the Iron cross. ( I could be wrong about the crosses). I am not sure on your other questions regarding wheels and nose.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 07:16:34 AM »
I was not aware of the wing change. Thanks!
I think it odd though. The guys who rebuilt it would change the wings considering they had lozenge printed for it. I'd have thought they would go with the original camo.

Offline rfindley

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
According to Robert Mikesh's book on this D.Va (published for the NASM) when Paul Garber found and purchased this Albatros in 1947 is was a mixture parts from several planes with both styles of crosses and both lozenge and painted camouflages.  As stated in the book, the exact history of this plane is "sketchy"   I think the green & mauve is correct based on the serial number and the lozenge was decided by the NASM due to the replacement wings.   Whether a wartime replacement or a post war attempt to put together a complete Albatros from spare parts is still a mystery as far as I know.

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 12:35:47 AM »
DeLano80,
                 What rfindley says is correct to the best of my memory. As he stated, the history of the airframe is sketchy at best in terms of parts, lozenge vs. paint, etc.

WD

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 01:35:44 AM »
Interesting info everyone. Thanks. I like the idea of it with the green and mauve wings. Do any pics exist of it with those wings?