Author Topic: Serial Number decals in 1/32  (Read 1546 times)

Offline macsporran

Serial Number decals in 1/32
« on: June 23, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »
I'm not aware of any generic sheets of serial numbers in 1/32 (like the old Blue Rider sheets in 1/48 that I found invaluable back in the day.)

Does anybody do such a thing. I can see the commercial reason for not producing generic sheets as it might limit sales of future decals for specific aircraft but then again, if one of your competitors gets in there first, you'll lose the opportunity anyway.

Specifically I find the RFC serials where they overlap red or blue on the rudder and are outlined in white the most difficult to reproduce myself. Sheets of letters and number in black and white and a slightly oversized sheet in white, along with white fuselage boxes would be invaluable. Also sheets of Luftstreitkräfte German numbers and letters would be great although I can generally cobble together most serials from unused leftovers - but sometimes one number just cannot be found!. Also LSK engine numbers.

If not available, please Aviattic, Pheon or somebody else give it a thought?
Thanks
Sandy
P.S. - Quick show of hands - would anybody else buy these?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 03:50:24 AM by macsporran »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Serial Number decals in 1/32
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
Yes!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
Me too! It would be helpful as a lot of times I do aircraft no one seems ro make decals for  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:11:45 AM »
Not Just British, but ALbatros and Pfalz Style Letters and Numbers in sizes to fit the Sides of Fuselages and the other smaller locations on wings, struts, rudder, etc .

Thanks to Richard at Aviattic for the Dr-I set
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 04:19:53 AM »
Sure, Dr1, I think I've included Alb and Pfalz with mention of LSK (Luftstreitkräfte) above, (but I can sometimes patch them from unused options on other Alb, Pfalz or Fokker decal sheets.)
What I cannot do are things like the tail serials for the 1/32 Roden RFC Nie27 (see below) I'm currently working on - where the numbers on the red rudder stripe need to be outlined in white. The paint job is going quite well but I don't want to ruin it with a dodgy serial!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:08:49 PM by macsporran »

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:21 AM »
I just emailed a company regarding Albatros serials.
I cannot find any either. Been looking for a long time.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »
48 and 72 scale would also be nice ...

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 10:21:33 PM »
Last year we explored the possibility of having a print run of 1/48 RFC roundel decals produced and the costs were beyond the resources of our Forum.

The idea is great and generic sheets of 1/32 serial numbers ( and other scales too!) would be very welcome.

But would enough people buy them? I'm happy to make another approach to the producers but we would need a strong indication of customer support. There are several decal manufacturers such as Pheon, but none are likely to commit to expensive production based on only vague expressions of interest.

So if this was a pre-order commitment for 1/32 serial numbers, how many would commit to a purchase?

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 10:30:06 PM »
I would.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 11:57:18 PM »
  Add me to the list! :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 12:51:57 AM »
Count me in
S

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 01:18:28 AM »
For Albatros serials, I'd be in.

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 03:33:10 AM »
Sandy, how big are those number you have in mind?

If those letters and numbers are not to small, it is an option to cut masks with a cutting plotter and use the airbrush. So also different paints can be used, not only black and white.

I have done that recently for a friend asked for it. He was able to find the right font used by RAF in the internet and told me the exact size. The painted on result looks great, his model is on scalemates:

If there are special fonts and sizes are used then it is hard to do a general decal sheet, masks are much more adaptable. You can use every font and sizes, only very small letters like stencils are a problem. And it can cut also other things like perfect circles and so on.

Due to huge interest (also by woman cut greeting cards and so on from paper) the prices are higher now for the same device (one example "Silhouette Portrait": 5 years ago below 120€, some shops offer it now for more than 300€)! So I used a special offer on a Black Friday: 139€ ;) You can find them in used state cheaper.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 03:49:54 AM »
Thanks for that Frank. I've rather fought shy of a Silhouette til now, but you're right about the different fonts etc, and the white number outlines could be created with some exactitude. Hmmmm.
Again, thanks for the pointer.
Sandy

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 04:36:34 AM »
Oh, you are thought already about it?

There is a high priced circular cutter by DSPIAE, also as Meng clone. For around 100€ :o
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dspiae-mt-c-circular-cutter--1102807
A lot of people own it, but can only cut circles. For a bit more the electronic device can cut circles and much more.

I cannot say anything about the software, I think there is Apple and Windows software included, but I'm a Linux user. But there exists a plugin for the powerful vector drawing program Inkscape, which I use.

I love this device!

Cheers,
Frank