Author Topic: number of ribs on early SPAD XIIIs  (Read 709 times)

Offline Big Sky Modeler

number of ribs on early SPAD XIIIs
« on: June 23, 2021, 07:44:32 AM »
I was looking at building the Eduard early SPAD XIII model in Guynemer's markings, and wanted to add the cotton strips that were used on some ribs on the early 13s. I was looking at several photos of these early 13s to get the spacing of the rib tapes and noticed that in several photos it appears that the rib count is similar to a SPAD VII. I have not heard of this so I am confused. The best photo that shows this is on p.2 of the SPAD XIII datafile (you can clearly see the ribs at the trailing edge of the lower wing), but there are other photos as well.

Did the rib count change in SPAD XIIIs as production went on?

Online RAGIII

Re: number of ribs on early SPAD XIIIs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
I can only say that I remember reading in one of My references that the rib count between the struts cahnged from the early production vs the later. The #11 comes to mind  ::) The funny thing is that preparing for My review of the Roden SPAD I can't seem to find that reference to the rib change again! For what it is worth I don't think Any Model company has or will ever bother with this minor and almost non recognizable difference. JMHO
RAGIII

PS: The tapes are a slippery slope. It seems that some but not all had the fabric sewn and then taped ala British practice. The normal practice previously had been to tack the fabric to the ribs. So it is often the case that one sees tapes in a seemingly random pattern. I don't know the ultimate answer but IMHO I keep the tapes subtle and only add them highlighted in certain places according to photos.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:47:32 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 03:51:50 AM »
I found the text I was looking for in the Data File. I have No Idea where the #11 came from. The Prototype and Very Early SPAD XIII's had 10 ribs between the two sets of interplane struts vs  8 on later and standard XIII's.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply and information.  Much appreciated!