Author Topic: Met up today - a further introduction  (Read 4407 times)

Offline DaveB

Met up today - a further introduction
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:45:04 AM »
Dear all,

As you may have guessed, myself and Lone Modeller (Stephen) are personal friends.  We both live in Kent (I'm in Gravesend and Steve lives in Maidstone) and met at our local model club, Gravesham Military Modelling Society.

Because we both build WW1 aircraft we had the same interest in modelling genre we have become good friends and meet up regularly.  Steve's turn to visit me at my place today so I suggested that we get Jacquie to take a photo of us both as a further introduction on the forum.  I am on the left holding the model Sopwith Pup and Steve on right.

I thought this a good way to introduce us further as few of us really know what any of us actually look like when we post on this forum.   Myself and Steve are in unique position to view each others work up close - Steve's scratch builds look brilliant in photos but are much more impressive when viewed close up - photos do not always do our models justice unless you are fortunate to be a more professional photographer. 

It's also good to be able to talk on any subject and not necesarily Covid which obviously dominates all our lives at present!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Bughunter

Re: Met up today - a further introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:33:29 AM »
Hey, very nice to see you guys! Thanks for the posting!
Oh yes, that it is a important part for me to visit model exhibitions: to see all the modelers in person, you know only online before. And I can say, that already some friendships comes out of this, after we meet us personally.

All the best to both of you,
Frank

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the photo introduction!  Glad y'all can meet up face-to-face on a regular basis.

WD

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
Many thanks for posting that photo Dave. Its great to put faces to familiar Forum names and it's especially pleasing to know that our forum is fostering friendships among our members. I also envy you both for having an actual model club to meet and share the hobby fun.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo - great to get a glimpse of you both!

I used to live in nearby Rochester, many moons ago. Unfortunately the closest I'm able to get to Kent these days is to sip a "Spitfire" ale here in Canada  8)

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 09:57:59 PM »
Awesome !

Thanks for sharing Dave and it is really nice to put a face to our online family .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 05:34:23 AM »
Great picture.  You're both lucky to have someone close by that shares the same modeling interest.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
    Thanks for posting this Dave, nice to be able to "put a face" to you and Stephen! My several personal meetings with fellow Members of this Forum are the absolute highlights of my WW.I Modelling experience. It amazes me how quickly the common interests cement the bonds first shared over the net, and how real friendships are so quickly established. I hope to meet many more of "us" in person over the years!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 12:26:14 AM »
Hey there! Nice to see you in person!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 01:08:25 AM »
It is great to see two of My favorite Modelers on the Forum in a photo together! Like Dave said you are fortunate to live in a place where there is an actual club to meet up in! You are twice as fortunate to have such a great Modeler so near. I envy those that can regularly meet up with other WW1 modelers! I Hope you don't mind My Photo Bombing your post but It was a year ago today that I finally got to Meet Bud Pearson ( Coyotemagic) in person. He lives on the other side of the Country but My sons wedding gave us the opportunity to meet in California:

Bud is on the left and I am of course on the right.

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 02:22:25 AM »
If Lone Modeller is in a picture with DaveB - he can’t be Lone Modeller….

My head hurts

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 02:23:13 AM »
Thanks, all -

Gary - Rochester is only a stone's throw from me!  How long have you now been in Canada?

Rick - No problem - great in fact!  Wonderful when you can put a face to a name.

Regarding me and Steve's Club - sadly, our club has not met since Covid broke out last year - it's just fortunate that myself and Steve are able to keep in touch regularly.

Anybody else feel like sharing pics of themselves?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 03:41:20 AM »

Gary - Rochester is only a stone's throw from me!  How long have you now been in Canada?

Regards

Dave

Well Dave - like I said it was a long time ago - I went to Borstal school there as a nipper of 5-7 years old before moving back to Sunderland. I don't believe the school is there anymore...it was back in the early 60's. It was near our house on Mansel Drive, and it wasn't "A Borstal" ;D Been out here in Canada since our family emigrated back in 1966.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 08:10:39 PM »
Very nice to see you all in Person. If I win the lottery (note to myself: start playing the lottery) Iwould love to make a big forum member meeting with all of us.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 01:16:37 AM »
It's great to see these photos of our members and put faces to the names! And good to hear that in these stressful times there is still contact and the ability to share our wonderful hobby! The only member on the site I have met is Przemo, considering he lives in Poland and I in South Africa, that took some doing! I would really like to do some travelling again and meet up with as many of you as possible! Regards, Marc.