Author Topic: Phönix C.1 Yugoslavian  (Read 1352 times)

Offline SimonK

Phönix C.1 Yugoslavian
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:20:22 AM »
Here's my first write up for the forum. I'm currently building/collecting aircraft used in Yugoslavia between the wars up to April 1941 when the country was quickly invaded by the Third Reich.  Having sourced several books on the subject, I've been searching the web for 1/72 kits.  Most subject matter is unfortunately only covered by short run injection or resin (of various dubious out dated quality).  I say unfortunately because it takes so much time and effort to build these.

Here is the short run kit from HR Model; they produced this kit in at least 5 different boxings covering the various air forces that used the plane. Mine is the Yugoslav box #72031, picked up on eBay for a reasonable price.  You're provided with 1 decal option; a camo plane from 1919 plus there's a color profile for an overall grey from 1920-23 however no decals provided.

During the war it served with the Austro-Hungarian air force.

For a short run kit this is surprisingly well crafted. Some smaller parts have large seams to clean up, while a noticeable error to be fixed is the lack of rib lines on the elevator. This is being dealt with by masking thin lines and spreading Mr Surfacer which will be carefully rubbed down to smooth out.  So far all I've done is spray sand undercoat for the wooden areas, covered with Future polish in prep for oil washes to represent the wood effect.

Box Art

1919 Option

1920-22 Option

Decal sheet

Main cleaned up components and sand base applied

Remaining sprue pieces.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:36:24 AM by SimonK »

Offline DaveB

Re: Phönix C.1 Yugoslavian
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:45:31 AM »
Great subject matter!

Good luck on your build mate!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:57:31 AM »
A great start, there, Simon! And a very interesting subject, so good to see something unusual! Regards, Marc.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 04:11:04 AM »
Really good to see an unusual subject like this. Best of luck with it and I hope that you can show us more of your models in future.

Stephen.

Offline SimonK

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 04:41:47 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Of interest maybe, while these kits are now out of production, some do appear on eBay quite frequently.  Any of the boxes (san decals) are all the same sprues; for instance there are 3 prop types provided.

Today I purchased the Gaspatch resin machine gun Schwarzlose 7/12 to replace the kit part which is undernourished and lacking detail. If one wanted to model this while it was flying during the war in 1918, Bluerider decal sheet (#230) provides the Slovenian upper wing roundels (orange/white/blue) and different camo demarcation for the airframe represented in this kit ( airframe #121-68).  As can be seen on the box art, the aircraft was remarked with blue/white/red roundels.

Simon

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
Nice subject matter and off to a nice start so far  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
Excellent start on your first build log here on the Forum! I, like the others am pleased to see something unusual, at least here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 12:35:18 PM »
Interesting subject!
I do not think I've seen this one before.

Offline SimonK

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
Some work completed; the wood effect interior being the main thing as the oils have dried enough to handle and glue.  There are no real instructions regarding placement of the pieces plus nothing fits anyway, pretty normal situation for a short run kit. I did use Mike Grant instrument dials on the IP.

Note there's nothing except the tubular sidewall structure.  I'm opting to do this as a straightforward build.... saying that that rear gunners hole is gonna look very bare, kit only provides a bench seat and the gun mount ring... think I need to find some photos or drawings.

Need some belts

The missing elevator ribs, putty.

Laid the aluminium along the top nose panel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:00 AM »
Excellent progress. The wood work looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 12:23:45 AM »
Coming along really nice so far , like the wood effect  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 07:11:57 AM »
Hi SimonK,

Have you made any progress on the Phonix C.I? The cockpit is looking very nice indeed, I particularly like the wood effect, something I'm struggling to replicate.

You mentioned Mike Grant instrument dials. As a very recently returnee to World War One aviation modelling, would you mind expanding on those, please? I need to do some instrument panels in the near future and I'm struggling to find suitable dials.

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment!

Cheers,
Mark

Online rhwinter

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »
Great topic, interesting plane, well done so far!
 I wish „they“ would do those planes for the niche-market of 1/32th scale..! (Which will never happen, I know.)