Author Topic: Albatros D-Va in 1/33rd by Luis Igualada  (Read 9237 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Albatros D-Va in 1/33rd by Luis Igualada
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
All,
I got the top wing done sans radiator etc. or ailerons.  The interior had a very thin leading edge and one spar along with many little, thin ribs.  I was, in a word, skeptical that it would all work out.  Adding all of this very carefully and taking  your time, yielded a wonderful result.  There is even undercamber!  Again, the engineering is amazing especially on the wing tips.  All the trailing edges came together with a degree of tolerance that just boggled my little mind. 

Bottom wing next!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 11:58:53 PM »
Looks amazing Dan!  It looks like you backed the ribs and spar with your usual 1/32 balsa.  Is that correct?  Did you glue the ribs portion of he kit to a balsa sheet and then cut out the individual ribs?  The is turning into a wonderful model that will rival a WNW kit for overall appearance and impression.  Way to go!

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:25 AM »
Hi Bob...

Yup.  I just glued the ribs to some 1/32nd and cut them out like an old Comet balsa kit.  I did need to thin the leading edge to about 1/2 as per the plans but that was no problem.  I located the leading edge part, glued it to the bottom wing, located where the spar would go, drew a line and added that.  Then I just moved along adding each rib in turn.  Folding over the top section was exciting but worked out just great.  The wing is straight and has no waves etc. in it.  Really a slick piece of design!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »
Nice work Dan, and thanks for explaining your process.  As you noted, it was sort of like building one of the old balsa and tissue models as you build the wing frame!  Looking very good indeed.

Best,

Bob

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 02:14:01 PM »
Thanks again, Bob.  I think that's part of why I like these paper models.  They hit sort of a sweet spot between the plastics and the balsa scratch builds I've done.  Different, but neat too.

I got the bottom wings done and the ailerons in position.  Next will be the cabanes and V-struts and it will really look like an Albi.

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
Still can't believe the amount of detail in this kit , she looks fantastic !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2021, 01:16:22 AM »
That is an incredible job on your wings! Looks better than WNW  8) Your Albatros is going to be superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »
Thanks so much, Alexis and Rick.  By the by, Alexis...I just got a SSW D-III paper card model.  It may be next!  I do know how you like those little hot rods!

Got a bit more done today.  I altered the cabanes to have some internal wire which makes for a nice solid connection when gluing.  I also added some thin bamboo for strength on the diagonal part.  Then, I popped them into their holes in the fuse and wings and it's on!  Very little shifting around to make it correct.  Looks darn good.  I'll work on the V-struts next and maybe get the lowers on tonight...we'll see.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »
Last for tonight...bottom "wing" is on!  Needs some touch-up here and there especially on the v-strut seams but all in all...I think it really captures the stance and presence of the Albatros extremely well. 

Some more details, rigging and she'll be done!

Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
Hey Dan!
The weather might have cooled down but your modeling skills are still hot as ever.
The Albatros is just fantastic.
                                            Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »
Very fine work Dan!  Looks like a nicely finished WNW D.V.  You also briefly created an Albatros E.V, high-wing monoplane! ;D  That looked pretty cool too, before it grew a bottom wing and assumed its normal configuration!.  Great job on this one, and thanks for showing us the way.

Best regards,

Bob 

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2021, 04:46:08 AM »
Thanks so much Kevin and Bob!

This one is turning out as nicely as the SPAD so now I want to persuade the designer to do a Nieuport 28 or a dang good SE-5.  I can dream...

Dan

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
Hello All,

I got the radiator pipes, aux strut and that little thing on top of the radiator...(a vent?) all installed as well as the radiator shutters/handle under the top wing.  I'll add the windscreen and then all that's left if a bit o' rigging.

Looking cool.

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »
Looks so sweeeeet Dan!  Very nice work indeed.  Glad to hear this is a good kit, as I have one of the other Igualada Albys in the stash.

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2021, 12:39:06 AM »
Awesome Albatros Dan! I am looking forward to seeing it rigged!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler