Author Topic: Filler!  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Gisbod

Filler!
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:30:19 AM »
Can I ask about filler?

I’ve used the standard modelling fillers in a tube - I think the current one is called ‘perfect plastic’ or similar. It’s fine but I’d like to find something that’s a little tougher that I can scribe - the standard model fillers are fairly powdery and tend to crumble if scribed upon..

Any top tips?

Thanks,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online RAGIII

Re: Filler!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 05:49:34 AM »
Something I first tried back in the early 90's and have recently gone back too is "Sprue Glue" It is simply shaved pieces of the plastic sprue dissolved in liquid model cement. The sprue melts and you are done when it is a thick-ish gooey plasticized liquid. It dries hard but to the same consistency as the plastic itself. Sands smooth and can be scribed. I used it a lot on the NIeuport 24bis undersurface!
RAGIII

PS: I am sure there Must be a video on you tube  ::) I use the last 1/4 of MY Tamiya Extra Thin after I have accidentally left the lid off a couple of dozen times. I dump in the sprue stir, and continue for a few days until it is ready!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:01:21 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 06:39:30 AM »
Thanks Rick,

That does sound useful, I’ll certainly experiment with that. Although it does sound messy too!

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:11:06 AM »
Hey Guy ,

I hate sanding most of the time when it comes to cleaning up seems and such , but yet I seem to do a lot of it ! Go figure  ::)

Will toss my hat in with Ricks comments on melted spuce in Tamiya glue , any liquid model glue will work , but Tamiya dries the fastest .

I will also glue in plastic rod stock into the seem using tamiya thin and pressing the rod in as I work my way along the seem .

Super glue is the best , but not for large gaps . Scribes really well , better then putty as well as polishes better as well .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
Hello Guy

I've used many fillers (some of my models have more filler than plastic in them!). The ones I prefer for filling and sanding are Humbrol and Revell Plasto.

The Perfect Plastic filler is excellent but not so good with scribing.

For me the best rock hard, easy to scribe filler is the two part Milliput epoxy putty. Sets like stone and can be drilled, scribed and sworn at. Sands well too.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »
Depends on the size of the repair-Vallejo acrylic ,Perfect PP, bits of plastic card, superglue and superglue mixed with talc all have their uses.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »
Thanks Dave, Dave and Alexis!

I knew I could depend on you  ;D

I will experiment with all of those and Dave, I’m ordering the Milliput Epoxy as we speak...

Grateful Guy

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 04:00:07 AM »
The best filler that I have found for scribing across is super glue mixed with talcum (baby) powder. It dries to a hardness not much different from most kit styrenes and does not shrink or crumble. I add the glue to the powder and stir into a paste. I prefer the slower setting glues as they give more working time.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »
Hello Guy,

Maybe a bit late, but I want to join in anyway.

I experimented with different fillers, but what works best for me is Revell Plasto. It is rather "chalky" when you use it "pure" and it crumbles easily, but I now put a blob on an old bank card and add a few drops of Revell Contacta.

It now sand without crumbling, but it is not so tough that I sand off the surrounding styrene in stead of the fillings.

I have no experience with scribing it afterward, but maybe experimenting with the ratio Plasto/contacta will work.

Cheers,
Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »
" I now put a blob on an old bank card "

I used to have lots of old over-extended cancelled bank cards back when Wingnut releases were coming thick and fast, but now the Miramar drought is upon is, my bank cards seem to last forever!
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »
Like Dave, I love Milliput!  It's come in handy around the house as well.

WD

Offline Bonehead

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 01:08:27 AM »
HHhhmmm. Well, I keep seeing this stuff all over the net: sprue goo. Folks, don't go there!

I used sprue goo way back in the 70s and 80s. Yeah, nothing new here. Here is the problem: you are using a solvent to dissolve the plastic. Way back when I built model cars there was a common problem modelers had when chopping tops on their models: months or even years later, there would be shrinkage of the attachment point where parts were joined. You would end up with a "ghost seam" where your once perfectly filled roof pillar was.

The reason for this is that the solvents in plastic cement continue to evaporate for months and even years after the pieces have been cemented together. I am sure some of you airplane modelers have had the same problem with once perfect fuselage seams reappearing months or years after the model was finished. This solvent will continue to evaporate for years. The loss of the solvent will cause the area to shrink. Bottom line: any filler that is solvent based is prone to shrinkage over time.

Sprue goo is mostly solvent! It is only a temporary filler and not a good one either. Sorry, folks, this current internet meme is no good. And most people that think it is cool will only learn of their mistake later on.

The best filler for areas that need to be rescribed is cyanoacrylate (crazy glue). Or the same glue with an inert filler like talc (don't use baking soda like I did! It is organic and will begin to deteriorate years later). Crazy glue does not shrink. That is why I also use crazy glue for gluing together parts of fuselages and wings and such that need filling. DO NOT use solvent plastic cements for joining these parts if you want a good filled seam!

I am a figure sculptor and pretty much the only filler i use for filling gaps is epoxy putty. I use Aves Apoxie sculpt. Magic sculpt is very similar. It is the same stuff i use for sculpting figures. You can fill huge gaps if necessary and the stuff NEVER shrinks. Solvent based fillers, such as those made by Tamiya all shrink. That is why you have to do multiple applications of the stuff to make any headway.

I hope this helps!

Mike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:42:55 AM by Bonehead »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 01:15:45 AM »
I just googled Magisculpt and got links to reinforced ladies undergarments!

Magic Sculpt gives less alarming results

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 01:53:51 AM »
Just for you Richard ,

Don't use ladies undergarments to fill seems ....it doesn't work .

Try here

https://shop.sculpt.com/magic-sculpt-magic-sculpt-natural.html

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Bonehead

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 02:39:48 AM »
I just googled Magisculpt and got links to reinforced ladies undergarments!

Magic Sculpt gives less alarming results

Richard

Sorry! My bad. I have edited the word to make it less risqué!

Mike