Author Topic: Huge collection of pre-WWI models  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Beto

Huge collection of pre-WWI models
« on: May 20, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »
I just found this today and thought it would be of interest. No clue about the builder of this collection but he is a very skilled guy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2621589/Astonishing-collection-model-planes-encompassing-years-flight-leading-WW1-reveal-bizarre-designs-really-did-airborne.html

Offline macsporran

Re: Huge collection of pre-WWI models
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 07:51:03 PM »
I believe I have seen this collection, or part of it, some years ago.

I remember going to an RAF Air Display at RAF Waddington in the nineties and one of the hangars was full of model clubs and traders - I recall chatting to John Adams of Aeroclub, whom I usually saw at the Scottish Nats.

Under a big bomber a modeller had set out a table with scores of these jewel-like 1/72 scratchbuilds of pre 1914 aircraft. I remember a long conversation about techniques and joking about the comparison with the real Vulcan under which he sat. His age would have been right for the article.

Looks like he continued adding as the collection didn't include the big Ilya etc.

I hope a museum acquires these are they are a unique history of flight pre-war.
Sandy

Offline Beto

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:20:26 PM »
Sadly, it seems the collection was divided into small lots and auctioned, so We'll never see it in a museum.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 11:34:55 PM »
Such a fantastic collection of aircraft . Some really neat designs in the mix .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 07:20:41 PM »
Yes, the collection was put for sale on ebay some years ago but the bids were cancelled from the seller (I put an bid on a pair of them)
The justification was that it was just to set a base price for an auction  and actually they were put on auction in small lots by an auction firm (I faintly remember probably christie).
Almost them all were featured in a pdf catalogue divided in lots for an auction and in the following catalogues.
 I have the ctalogues in pdf somewhere in my backups since I was contacted by the auction house for a bid but the  mediation fee was too high.
I don't think that they found a common house, even if this was the intention of the family. It is likely that they wer purchased as a lot by the auction house and put for sale in batches.
Pity since they were outstanding
er me

Offline Beto

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 11:14:07 PM »
Yes, the collection was put for sale on ebay some years ago but the bids were cancelled from the seller (I put an bid on a pair of them)
The justification was that it was just to set a base price for an auction  and actually they were put on auction in small lots by an auction firm (I faintly remember probably christie).
Almost them all were featured in a pdf catalogue divided in lots for an auction and in the following catalogues.
 I have the ctalogues in pdf somewhere in my backups since I was contacted by the auction house for a bid but the  mediation fee was too high.
I don't think that they found a common house, even if this was the intention of the family. It is likely that they wer purchased as a lot by the auction house and put for sale in batches.
Pity since they were outstanding
er me

If you find the catalog of the auction I'd love to see it!

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »
Here is the pdf. start at page 62.

This collection should have gone to a museum!

Joachim