Author Topic: clear coat lifting of decals  (Read 848 times)

Offline Joop

clear coat lifting of decals
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:05:32 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question about something that happened recently to me.

I am working on the Eduard Roland C.II and painted it with MRP colors. I then sprayed AK interactive Intermediate Gauzy Agent Shine Enhancer and applied decals. This went very well and the decals settled excellent. To prepare the model for weathering, i sealed the decals again with AK interactive Intermidiate Gauzy Agent Shine Enhancer and then the problems started. It seems that the AK stuff doesnt adhere to the decals at all. This became evident when i masked thin stripes of masking tape over the decals for highlighting the ribs and after removing the tape, de gloss coat was lifted off the underlying decals (but the decals stayed firmly in place). Does anyone knows how this could have happened?

Alternatively, would spraying MRP clear coat over the decals give a better result? Maybe this clear has a bit more bite?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Jelger

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: clear coat lifting of decals
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 06:20:00 AM »
Hi Joop ,

The AK interactive Intermediate Gauzy Shine Enhancer is for metal finishes is is not a top coat for sealing decals . Decals will stick to it but it won't stick to decals giving you the lifting and the odd look to the sheen on the decals .

To fix this I guess you try a different top coat and see what happens . If you are able to remove the rest of the decals before trying a different clear coat .

Maybe others will be able too chime in .

Try a small area or something to see if it will work before hand and if you get good results thumbs up .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Joop

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 01:26:37 AM »
Hoi Alexis,

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Jelger

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:11:55 AM »
You are most welcome  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .