Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Ponnier M.1  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Ponnier M.1
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:55:44 AM »
Hi all,
As I'm close to finishing the Hansa-Brandenburg W.20 float plane, I thought I'd start on a 'Planet Models' resin kit.
This model represents a Ponnier M.1 ‘Le Vampire’ of the Aviation Militaire Belge, as flown by Abel De Neef from the Ten Bogaerde (Koksijde) airfield in 1915.

Before WW1, Louis Alfréd Ponnier was a Director of one of the companies of René Hanriot.
In 1913 Hanriot decide to temporarily quit his interest in aviation and Ponnier took over the factory under his ’Avions Ponnier’ trade mark.
The Avions Ponnier company attempted to win a pre-WW1 contract from the French military with their 1913 Ponnier L.1 scout, designed by Alfred Pagny, but they were unsuccessful.
In 1915 Pierre Dupont was hired as an aircraft designer and in 1916 the Ponnier M.1 was tested by French ‘Aviation Militaire’ pilots, including Jean Navarre and Charles Nungesser.
During flight testing, Charles Nungesser was severely injured when the aircraft entered a flat spin.
In the ensuing crash, Nungesser had both legs broken as well as his jaw.
The crash was thought to have been caused by an incorrect centre of gravity combined with a rudder which was too small.
The French lost all interest in the aircraft after this incident.
However, the Belgian Air Force were desperate for fighter aircraft and so ordered the type.
At least twenty Ponnier M.1s were produced by S.A. Française de Constructions Aéronautiques, Ponnier's successor company to Avions Ponnier.
Most of these, probably more than eighteen, were bought by the Aviation Militaire Belge.
However, the Belgian ace Willy Coppens found the aircraft to be ineffective, despite modifications, which included a larger empennage and removal of the propeller spinner.
The aircraft, like those remaining with the French, were rapidly discarded.
Those that were left had their lower wings stripped and were sent to the pilot training school in Etampes, where students used them to learn how to taxi.
As an aside, René Hanriot returned to the aviation business and his designer, Emile Dupont was instrumental in bringing about the much better Hanriot HD.1 fighter.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:07:37 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1:32nd scale Ponnier M.1
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 06:08:48 AM »
Cool , I have only seen this one built once ...so this is a treat to follow .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
Very interesting subject. Nice to see that also unsuccessful planes are built here.
Thank you for the background information.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »
And some have called Me a Building Machine  ;D Looking forward to another Beauty Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 04:13:43 AM »
What a beautiful airplane. Have fun building this one.

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 05:10:24 AM »
Hi all,
Some progress on this model.
Information on the cockpit detail is non-existent as far as I can tell, so I've built the cockpit as supplied.
All I've added rudder control lines and pipe to the priming pump.
Getting the two fuselage halves to fully close around the cockpit assembly required some fairly heavy scraping of resin from the cockpit side panels.
I also added 1.0 mm thick plastic card strips around one fuselage half to help positive alignment to the other half, as as usual being a resin kit, there are no locating pegs and receptacles.
The ailerons in the upper wing were cut out and pinned with 0.5 mm diameter rod, so that the ailerons could be positioned.
The tail plane, fin, rudder and elevators were all drilled and pinned with 0.3 mm diameter tube. The elevators are positioned down slightly.
As the engine can hardly be seen on the completed model, I decide to use the resin engine supplied in the kit, even though it's not the best representation of the Le Rhone 9c.
I've added 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tubes for valve push rods and tube with copper wire for spark plus and ignition leads.

Mike

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:46:34 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 07:35:16 AM »
Pit looks awesome Mike . :) Engine is basic , but opens up doors for those who want to super detail it and I look forward to your magic touch on this .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 02:05:41 PM »
Well you made short work of that Now didn't you  ;D Looks awesome Mike!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:54:46 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 06:52:51 AM »
Hi all,
The engine cowl and the two side panels have been added (the engine will fit inside the cowl).
Also the kit supplied resin carburettor air intake pipes have been replaced with chamfered 1.8 mm brass tube.
This was done as the tubes are angled downwards from the fuselage sides and have chamfered ends, unlike the kit parts.
Also added the filler cap as it needed to be sanded away during the fuselage assembly.
Finally the lower wings had just one small resin locating stub for locating against the fuselage sides.
I replaced them with 1.0 mm diameter rod - the front rod passes through the fuselage into the opposite wing.
The rear rods locate the wings at the correct angle to the fuselage, which was not feasible with the original single locating sub.

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
Outstanding Mike!
RAGIII

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 08:10:06 PM »
I love your care for details and immaculately clean builds. Another fine thread to follow!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 11:22:15 PM »
Thumbs up Mike , those details are looking good !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 11:27:32 PM »
Interesting and unusual subject, excellent start of your build. Thank you for sharing brilliant techniques.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »
Hi all,
The landing gear and wing struts supplied in the kit are molded in white metal.
Consequently the landing gear in particular bends extremely easily and I suspect may not even take the weight of the model.
Therefore I recreated the landing gear struts and axle using brass tube, rod and styrene sheet.
The struts are 2.0 mm tube formed around 1.mm rod and soft soldered then filed and sanded to shape.
The axle is 2.0 mm tube crushed flat on one aide around 0.8 mm rod.
Styrene strips off 0.5 mm thickness were glued to the front and rear of the rod, then sanded to an aerofoil shape.

I'm not sure yet whether I'll replace the wing struts - we'll see,

Mike

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Might as well replace all the struts that are white metal Mike  ;)

Nice work on the landing assembly  8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch