Author Topic: Nieuport 17 Rebirth Hobbycraft  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Monty

Nieuport 17 Rebirth Hobbycraft
« on: May 17, 2021, 03:07:45 AM »
Well, I was building this kit when the CSM kit was announced, and well, after battling for a bit, just put it back in the box. But I never got a CSM kit, so this ended up back on the bench... for better or worse...

I did some cutting, adding and just tyding up of the interior... and started chopping away for that tunnel in the lower fuselage for the engine exhaust and cooling...

I tried to use as much of the kit as I could... Like that frame with the sole instrument in it... And the upper wing has always bothered me due to the big gap between the ailerons and the wing... so I separated them, removed the fake hinges and skinned the ailerons on the front and the inner edge with plasticard so they fitted better to the wing.... bang goes a modelling afternoon! I also trimmed and neatened up the cowling, this may need a little work still to reduce the diameter. I have gone through Lance's fantastic build, it is great inspiration!

Remember, the build hasn't actually started unless you throw some paint on! I also tried to redo the rudder, I know the kit one has an inaccurate outline...

The real sadness is that I will use the original (incorrect) rudder as a friend gave me the decals in a recent Academy release for Fullard's plane... complete with rudder markings with the incorrect original shape.... Oh well, compromise, compromise!

Hope to do more soon, but please don't hold your breath!

Regards,

Marc

Online RAGIII

Re: Nieuport 17 Rebirth Hobbycraft
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 03:23:18 AM »
Nice start on this Old kit Marc! It should be fun to watch your progress!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 03:38:37 AM »
Thanks for checking in and the vote of confidence Rick! I have to confess Richard's 17 Bis build made me start this thread... I forgot one picture... The Fullard 17 has both a Vickers and a Lewis... and my kit had only the Lewis... but I found a Vickers,  I think from a WNW kit, but may need some attention to the rear, and the kit Lewis looks not tooo bad when assembled... may need a stock extension... 

Regards, Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:40:57 AM »
Hi Marc ,

Rooting for you on this one  ;) Seems you are getting the details sorted out , not bad so far  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 06:27:09 PM »
Good stuff, I'm glad I inspired you. Mine is the second time I built this kit, I think it builds up well:

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 03:05:24 AM »
Thank you all for the positive comments on this backburner build! Well, some small progress here... some wood tones in the cockpit and the prop cleaned up and coated in brown varnish ... I think this is more accurate. any opinions?.... don't worry too much about the wobbly veneer lines in the cockpit, they won't be very visible!

Regards and Happy Modelling! Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »
Hey Marc ,

Nice job on the wood tones and adding the slants .  :) Knock the schene done a bit with a semi/dull coat  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 11:00:09 PM »
Lovely wood tones Marc!  The slatted look will work great knowing what will be seen/ Not seen  through the cockpit opening!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler