Author Topic: Friedrichshafen FF33L - Polish White 9 (1/32, Lukgraph)  (Read 17090 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Friedrichshafen FF33L - Polish White 9 (1/32, Lukgraph)
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
My long dreamt dream is fulfilled today. After many years I may get to building a 32nd scale model of one of pioneering floatplanes in Polish Naval Aviation. I wrote an extensive presentation of this new kit in the What's New section:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12006.msg227643#msg227643

So here let me just start with the first build-log post. The interior bits and the engine are cut from the casting or 3D printing trees and are being cleaned. Let the joy begin!!!

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Friedrichshafen FF33L - Polish White 9 (1/32, Lukgraph)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »
I'm very excited !

I was going to say will you marry me ...but that would have only been for the kit . So this is the next best thing and will sit back and enjoy your build thread  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
I am looking forward to your build as always. How was the process of removing the parts from the printing trees ?

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
I'm very excited !

I was going to say will you marry me ...but that would have only been for the kit . So this is the next best thing and will sit back and enjoy your build thread  :)

Alexis

You made me tremble, Alexis. Since it was for THE KIT I would seriously consider such a courtous offer. But how about this, IMHO much more like the next best thing - send an email to Łukasz and order this kit for yourself. You would have it much cheaper, without the by-product - a guy with lots of vices... :-
Seriously, I AM trembling ;) What will my wife say??? ::)
But of course, you are most welcome to sit back and watch the thread, I will do my best to do justice to this treasure of the kit.

I am looking forward to your build as always. How was the process of removing the parts from the printing trees ?

RAGIII

Rick, as I wrote in the kit presentation, for 3D printed I used mostly the sharp shaving razor, that of old style, with very thin blade, not the razor saw recommended by Lukgraph. If you work slowly, not pressing too much, cut not just at the part but leaving some piece of trees and then remove those slice after slice, you will be fine. The material is brittle but it is doable. Then a few movements with sanding paper, polish and tree traces are gone. For the regular resin I rather tend to use the razor saw, again leaving some remains and than the razor to remove those slice after slice.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:30:38 PM »
The kit is on my "to get list "for the future emptying of my purse and no vise's  ;)

Tell your wife ...you love her !  ;)

I read your other post show the parts and this is an impressive kit . I'm really taken by the level of detail in the fuselage with the stressed fabric . Really nice touch  :)

Alexis 
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 12:14:32 AM »
This will be a project I follow very closely, Prze. It's one of the most exciting new releases that has come along for a while - and you will be blazing the trail with your build.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Von Salza

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:27:00 AM »
What about quality of those parts?

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »
The kit is on my "to get list "for the future emptying of my purse and no vise's  ;)

Tell your wife ...you love her !  ;)

I read your other post show the parts and this is an impressive kit . I'm really taken by the level of detail in the fuselage with the stressed fabric . Really nice touch  :)

Alexis 

I already have told her. She took it with understanding. ;)

And yes, the fuselage detail is indeed amazing, a great job done by Łukasz.

This will be a project I follow very closely, Prze. It's one of the most exciting new releases that has come along for a while - and you will be blazing the trail with your build.
Cheers,
Gary

I fully agree with you, Gary. It is indeed a very exciting release.
But will I blaze the trail? I will do my best but let us wait till the end 🙂

What about quality of those parts?

I have already commented that resin quality from Lukgraph has increased significantly. Today I worked on floats and beaching trolleys. I found some single air bubbles here and there and only one larger on one of the trolleys, I had to use the waste plastic sprue fragment to fill it. But it is nothing compared to what I went through when building their Lublin or even Baby.
3D printed bits have some traces of printing layers and have to be cleaned. But then, even the best WNW plastic had the traces of mould halves seam to be removed. IMHO, bearing in mind it is resin, this kit has the elements of very high quality.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:21:45 PM by PrzemoL »

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 03:49:54 PM »
When I saw this kit I thought " I want it, I want it, I want it". So if it's ok by you I follow this one closely.

Offline Von Salza

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Thank You, Przemek.

I overlooked Your model review link because I was absorbed in the marriage thread...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:22:37 PM by Von Salza »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 03:41:21 AM »
Excellent clean up work and start to the trolley!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 05:08:48 AM »
That’s mouth watering what I can see here. I will pass the Friedrichshafen as I don’t like float planes, but these pics look very promising when ut comes to Lukgraphs next release, the Albatros C. III.  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
Thanks...

Some more on FF...
First on cockpit, I checked if the internal structure fits the closed fuselage (it does) and continued on cleaning the resin and 3D printed bits. I also verified if the 3D printed material can be hand drilled (it can) as I plan to add small wire bits to simplify connecting of the truss sides with 7 cross bars and the floor.

And secondly, after some hesitation I took my courage and it seems I solved the problem of engine painting. I managed to cut off with a razor saw the valve pushrods (they will be replaced with soldering wire bits), the intake manifolds (they will be reused) and the small cooling water pipe between the carbs. Doing it I damaged two spark plugs and this triggered the decision to cut off all of them and to replace them with some spare Taurus resin ones. Not that those in the kit engine are very bad but again rather to facilitate painting.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Nice collection of parts for painting , should keep you busy for a spell . Push rods are a vast improvement  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
The push rods and other mods to the engine will turn Good into Great! Nice start!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:00:06 AM by RAGIII »